Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » There are no stupid questions...right?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There are no stupid questions...right?
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So being the computer illiterate that I am can anyone help with this?

My sister's kid plays hockey and for his birthday we are turning the basement into a rink.

That's right; painting rink lines on the floor, putting a mural on three walls with plexiglass boards at the bottom - yaddy ya - the whole thing.

The mural is 5' tall x 23' wide. It's a photo of a crowd, the fans watching a game.

My plan is to order it from signs365 on banner material, no grommets and my brother-in-law & I are going to screw along the top & bottom and stretch it out over the 3 walls. (I hope that didn't sound dirty!)

The image - she downloaded from Flickr. It seems OK. It is 15" x 3.67" and says it is 240dpi.

I cannot check it in Photoshop here, but at that dpi should it enlarge OK?

We expect some pixalating...it's big! But it would be viewed at 8-10 ft. away, anyway.

I have a jpeg and a pdf version, which should I sent to the printer?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STOP.....wont work will look like ca ca!!!!1
at 15 INCHES x 4......240 DPI IT IS AT IT MAX SIZE!!!!! what you need is some picture that was taken at 12-20 MEGA PIXELS!!!!! let me give some idea of sizes.
most of the pics you see on here are 768 x 1024 PIXELS and that is translated to bout the size of a std sheet of paper.
my camera is a 10 mega pixel.....which when loaded to the computer become 3072 x 2304....take that into photo paint and its now 42.0000 X 31.000 inches.
hennies camera is a 16 mega pixel which is 3264 X 2176 pixels....in photpaint it is.......45.33 X 30.22 inches.........now at these pixels yes they can be blown up without it looking like just squares of different colors.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley,

First, let me say, that I am very impressed. I had no idea of Joe's knowledge of pixels.....Wow! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

How about a Wall Dog party, paint, brushes and quills, food and lots of beer ?....I'll betcha it's going to be a lot of fun and it will be cheaper.

Just saying.....

RD

[ August 13, 2014, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why when I view it at 1600%, which is about what it will need to enlarge to, it doesn't look too bad?
and
sign365 said they need 150dpi.

Why can't I get my head around this?
Be nice Joe.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I look at the photo properties it tells me the file is 3697 881 pixels at 240 dpi.
In Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Still no good?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley,

This might help...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/technology/personaltech/15basics.html?_r=0

or, maybe this one:

http://www.colorenlargement.com/

Good luck !

RD

[ August 13, 2014, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

OK Ricardo,

I sent the file to colorenlargement site for evaluation....

Joe - I already know you are right, but I wanted to see what they come back with!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Shirley,

Maybe, just maybe, you might find an answer here:

http://forums.adoramapix.com/entries/228318-Resolution-and-image-quality

or here:

http://auctionrepair.com/pixels.html

RD

[ August 13, 2014, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Ya.

Believe it or not I used to work as a camera technician at a print shop.
I took photos and screened the image (burned dots) and made plates for the printing press.
Or ghosted an image by exposing it to a 10%, 20%,,,,80% screen.
I do know what dpi is.

Or at least old fashioned dpi.
I hate computers!!!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would take the photo into Corel, size it to full size, place it where a detailed section is on the normal page, and print that one 8.5x11 page. Then I can make my own decision whether it is clear enough or not for me.

It WILL take a while to print because Corel reads the entire photo for printer, but it only prints the one page unless you tell it to tile pages. Don't tell it to tile pages.

[ August 13, 2014, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Don Hulsey ]

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

So that colorenlargement site just wrote back - I sent him my file and here's what he said:

Your image will do beautifully at that size. Not a problem at all. If you can stand it to be 58" instead of 60" high we could do the entire image on 1 sheet.

NOW I am MORE confused!!!!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Shirley,

So, what is just a 2 inch difference?........Get creative and do some trompe l'oeil. Fake a frame around it or, maybe, paint a stripe around it !

RD

[ August 13, 2014, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Banner price from sign365 = $200

Wall Mural from that place = $750

I'd go with signs365 because we want a banner, it will be easily removed down the road and I think the surface material will take more of a beating than a paper surface.. but I still fon'y know if my file will work.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Sorry, Shirley, but I will not cross that line....Good luck, girl !

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will look fine at 150 dpi. If you look closely you may see the pixelation, but overall it will be fine. You could bring the image into Photoshop and upsize it as well and there are programs and plugins that are specifically for that purpose. But if the company printing it says it will be OK I suspect it will. This isn't an art reproduction.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Hulsey:
I would take the photo into Corel, size it to full size, place it where a detailed section is on the normal page, and print that one 8.5x11 page. Then I can make my own decision whether it is clear enough or not for me.

It WILL take a while to print because Corel reads the entire photo for printer, but it only prints the one page unless you tell it to tile pages. Don't tell it to tile pages.

Good idea, but just crop a portion to 8x10 or smaller and it won't have to read the whole file.

[ August 13, 2014, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

I just opened the jpeg file in Flexi and enlarged it to 23' wide by 5' high and did what Don suggested.
Drew a box 8.5 x11" and set that on the photo - zoomed in.
It's a bit fuzzy, but step back 5-6' and its not bad.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can never be sure looking at the monitor. It's best to print a section, then you see what it will actually look like.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most monitors will give you a 72 DPI.....AND I HAVE 1 PRINTER THAT DOES 1400 DPI

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else tried using OnOne Softwares Perfect Resize (formerly Genuine Fractals)? I use it all the time to up-scale images to large format. You just type in the DPI and the size you want the final print to be and it interpolates the pixels between.

Granted, it doesn't do it all, but it has worked pretty well for me. It can either be purchased as a stand alone product or a plugin for PhotoShop.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/resize8/

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton Michael Clanton has just turned 51
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes dale- I use Perfect Resize

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!