Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » convert adobe reader pdf file to ai, eps or vectorized pdf file

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: convert adobe reader pdf file to ai, eps or vectorized pdf file
linda yang
Visitor
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linda yang   Email linda yang       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am so tired people sent me a adobe reader pdf file, how can i convert it the file vectorized?

thanks

--------------------
Linda Yang
Wilbraham, MA
arttec@samnet.net

Posts: 139 | From: wilbraham, ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, you have to remember that image files can be saved as a pdf so in that case there won't be any vectors contained in the file to begin with.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda,
I'm kinda confused about the vector thing.
When i work in flexi, I call the wireframe of my image a vector, as in " I scan an image and vectorize it".
Since when are image files, like photos, referred to as vector files?
OP wanna pipe in and explain it in your usual southern drawl?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda...I use a program called "Easy PDF Convertor". IF there is a vector image in the PDF file the program will convert it to EPS format, which can then be imported into whatever vector illustration program you use.

Do a Google search!!!

OR...Spend the time to manually vectorize the files yourself.

Easy choice for me.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save the file, Look it up, right click on the file, Open with>Adobe Illustrator, BAM!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick..that would work great for those who use Illustrator, but not for Corel or other graphics program users.

Also...You can click on anything you want in a PDF file or any other kind of file, but if the image you wish to use is not in some vector format it isn't going to magically turn into a vector file no matter how many times you click on it.

You either have to "trace" it or manually vectorize it.

If the image is vector it is vector, if it is raster/bitmap it is raster/bitmap. There is no magic wand.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, CorelDRAW does import pdfs quite well- you just import the .pdf file (don't "Open") if the pdf source file has vector elements in it, they can be edited just like any other vector file. Unfortunately, people can put lots of other elements into a pdf file- most of which are not vector based media (Jpeg, bmp, tiff, png, etc...) like Dave said- they are what they are.

The main issue you may experience is that if you are using an older version of CD, the pdf engine has trouble opening newer versions of pdf files- mainly because they were built using a newer pdf print engine. for instance- I can generate a vector pdf file from illustrator CS6 on a Mac, save it over to a PC, and then import it directly into CorelDRAW X6... but the machine with X3 can't import the pdf unless I save it down to an older pdf version.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Of course you are correct Michael..CorelDraw does import PDF's very well.

And now that you have mentioned it, I still use CorelDraw X3... But a buddy and I are going on a "GUY shopping trip" tomorrow looking for good deals on solid state drives. No clothing shopping, no grocery shopping, no wandering around looking at stuff we aren't interested in...Just good old fashioned shopping for exactly what we want. I'll add shopping for CorelDraw X6 to my list!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having trouble with a new version PDF? I open it in Adobe Reader then use a PDF writer to "print" a old version PDF. Dave mentioned Easy PDF Writer. That is one of several free or low cost PDF programs that can do this. Last step is to import the old style PDF file into Corel X3 or whatever graphics program you want to use the vectors in.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave

You are correct, if it is a JPG saved as a PDF, then there are no vectors. It has to originate as a vector file for that to work

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good, Chuck's idea.
I have found a lot of newer PDFs won't import properly into X3, so I've been opneing themm in Illy CS2, and backward saving them as AI 3.0, but simply printing to a PDF writer as an older version from Acrobat Reader will be much quicker!

Thnaks for the reminder!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, you can open a pdf in Flexi. If you select it and go to the pull down from the ARRANGE TAB, click on MASK and select UNMASK. From there you can turn off the color and see if it has vectors. Ungroup and go from there. If this doesn't work, the file was a bitmap.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!