Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need help finding picture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help finding picture
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some time ago someone here (or it may have been Facebook) posted a photo of a painting - it was a large canvas that had a white stripe vertically down the middle and everything else was red. It had sold for some unheard amount (millions).

Does anyone have that or a link to the story? I would like to use it in an article I'm writing.

Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...never mind. I found it. Just went to Google and wrote the description - up it comes.

It was blue instead of red - $44 million.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never ceases to amaze me.......WHAT STUPID PEOPLE WITH MONEY will pay for crap.....THEN when its comes to getting some real art work done, be it signs or mural......THEY SCREAM ABOUT HOW COME SO MUCH MONEY))))))
i lived in sarasota fl for many years. RINGLING SCHOOL OF ART is there. do a lot of really fantastic art work had been GIVEN AWAY by students for little or no money. then we had this guy SYD SOLOMEN gets maga money of this stuff....he calls art. $21,600.00!!!
http://www.rubylane.com/item/1127066-SS1213004/Syd-Solomon-Important-Abstract-Artist?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=productfeed&gclid=CLP6qJbszr4CFZRcfgodRbMAfg
more of his...
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8y6F9YVTFlYAVjxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0Y2Y4ODVoBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQwN18x?_adv_prop=image&fr=opera2&va=syd+solomon+paintin gs+for+sale

[ May 28, 2014, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, blue commands a better price than red, don'cha know. [Smile]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really kills me about "art", is.... like watching Antiques Roadshow......Someone brings in a dresser or chest, made in the 1700's. It's some fantastic looking, hand-made piece, with hand-done inlays, dovetails, claw feet, finials, and just a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

It appraises for say $4000.00. Then later, some lady sits a 10 inch tall pottery vase on the table, from Rookwood or Tiffany, or whatever.....and it appraises for $16,000 bucks!

Something's wrong with this picture! Figure all the back-breaking work, the hours, the amount of craftsmanship to fit all the pieces perfectly together....and the fact that it's stayed intact for 300 years!!! vs. what it takes to make a little vase??!!

You see stuff like this, on some of these programs, on a regular basis.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking closely at the "stripe" indicates this was produced before 3M invented their FineLine tape.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking closely at the "stripe" indicates this was produced before 3M invented their FineLine tape.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dale being a "potter".....i can tell ya making that stuff aint a walk in the park)))))
you have to design it in your head, then get it to paper, then take a lump of mud......and push and bend it with just the righ amout of pressure. then its gota get leather hard, so if there is any designs you want in the body of the clay NOW IS the only time you can do this.....then itgoat dry some more, then when all the moisture is gone, and it is fragile.......can break at the slightest pressure.you gota put it into a oven and take it up to 1750 degrees!!!!! this makes it bisque ware. gota let it cool slowly.....or it will crack!!! now you get to do glazes/engob/slip designs on it.THEN back into a 2300 degree oven!!!!!!! hoping it dont CRACK... then let it cool for 2 days......before you can see it....WALA A BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ART.....google
HAMADA or benard leech.......

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about a 180!

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me started.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Winkler Erik Winkler has just turned 47
Visitor
Member # 9040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Winkler   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you a great story about that painting.
My professor was sued by the 'restorer' goldryer for 20 million, because he told the press that the painting was restored by using a normal household roller (which was true by the way).

--------------------
Erik Winkler
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler
Stammerkamp 14
1112VH Diemen
Nederland
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler on facebook
Schitterend on facebook

Posts: 121 | From: Amsterdam Nederland Europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

HEY SHERBY...pay attention....PAINTINGS i tlaked about in the 1st post....simple process throw paint at canvas........call it something and some idiot with loads of money buys one.......NOW YOU ARE A FAMOUS ARTIST...
POTTERY..... on the other hand.......
requires skill developed over long period of time.
also requires TIME.. and a lot of it....
and the knowledge of what and how to mix chemicals to get desired effect at 2300 degrees.........deserves high return.
sorta like REAL SIGN PAINTING....not vinyl not print!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale...looks like you hit a nerve with OP...I think he feels like you disrespected his craft...but come on OP...let's get serious for a minute...we're just talking "clay pots"...right...or am I mistaken.

[ May 30, 2014, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

rusty.you tryin to start some schit???????hahahahahahahahaha damn southern troublemakers....
clay pots are what you buy at PIER 1........have you been to an art show lately???
inkjet prints....$3-400??? and then the potters have a hell of a time getting $15 for a hand throw/glazed cup......let me see HIT PRINT, watch it ...or take a chunk of clay, shape it, dry it, bisque it, glaze it and fire again......and not get paid for all the effort...sorta like being a real sign painter))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

OP...who in their right mind would give $15 for a hand thrown glazed cup anyway when you can buy paper or styrofoam cups for mere pennies that do the same job.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty ... why would you order a 4'X4' hand carved sign for Big Bucks ... when you can get a blue coro sign with red Brush script letters ( all caps) with a nice green drop shades?

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Si...so much in life doesn't really make sense

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

rusty.......you got nothin to do..........then to aggravate me & si?? hehehehehehehehe

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

OP...you and Si are a couple of my favorite old geezers...why would I want to cause any aggrevation.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!