Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » gallery update

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gallery update
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just signed the letter of intent and lease on the commercial space for art gallery in Santa Fe. It only took eighteen months to find the best, ideal location....Canyon Road up in the heart of the action. Beautiful space and will officially open July 1. Gotta go back and find a place to live, but plan on moving there in May. I guess it is good bye to the window splash business and hello to retirement in retail!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Preston in retirement...and good luck finding a place to live in Santa Fe...I once went to Santa Fe and priced the property...I couldn't even afford a trailer 3 miles out of town on a small plot of land full of tumbleweeds...why does everything cost so much out there...it's crazy.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a myth that housing costs so much in Santa Fe. I have looked all over and prices seem about the same as Kansas City, actually. There are over a hundred homes for sale over one million bucks, but by and large you can still get a 3 bedroom, 2 car garage in a nice area for 200-300k. We will lease a 3 bdrm 2 car free standing condo for less than 2k a month for a year, until we have solid evidence of our success and find the right place to buy.

We found a fabulous place out in Los Companos, 8000 square feet and a castle looking structure for 3k a month, but too far from town and really out in the desert. Too big and too far to drive (10 miles)

You can still rent a nice apartment for $700 a month and plenty are there. Vacation, short terms properties are expensive, especially during the warmer months for opera season, but less than the hotels. Many are available.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Retirement? Not really. The gallery will run us around 25k a month operating expenses. Gotta sell some art! It will be long hours, but up in the heart of the best of Canyon Road galleries. When I did it 12 years ago downtown, I sold 223 of my paintings the first twelve months, so I know the market is there. Santa Fe really is the second biggest art market in the country with buyers coming there to seriously art shop...275 galleries all within a mile of one another. I had one day where we sold $56,000 worth of art in just one day. The hardest part of the process is location, location, location! Took us 18 months to nail it down and many trips down there, but stayed at the La Fonda and ate chili Rellenos until we could eat no more. Yummy. I invite everyone from Letterville to visit soon.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh oh....you're gonna be sorrrryyyyy......I'm staying there this summer and will come visit!
Sunset

--------------------
Sunset Regall
SUNSET DESIGNS
sunssette@gmail.com
www.sunsetsdesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: chico, ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a gallery just for your work

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be showing up thar bout the same time Sunset gets there.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Just returned from Santa Fe...again. Leased the space up on Canyon Road. Next door to Geronimo high end restaurant and across from the old Artisan's Art Supply store. About a half block down from El Feral on the south side of the street. I couldn't ask for a better location. Begin operations on July 1 or before, depending on when the other guys leave.

Also just leased a fabulous house on the east side up in the hills. Get it June 1. Fabulous views of the mountains and very private. Surprisingly affordable. I have 43 days to exit stage SW. Got lots to pack and move. Can't wait.

No. about showing other artist's work, besides some small sculpture. It will mostly be mine and Suzie Stambaugh's paintings. We have about 125 wall spots for paintings, which is a few less than ten years ago when I was downtown....but in back, there is a very charming little courtyard where I will be able to paint like the monkey on the organ grinder's chain. Absolutely beautiful space for a gallery. I could not have found better and it is about half what I was spending a month before on overhead. Will be called McCall Fine Art, but no website yet....coming soon.

I hope all of my old friends here come visit. It really would be nice to actually meet you all in person as Letterville has been a wonderful venue to have met all of you. CU SOON!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck Preston...

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Thanks, Joey and to all. Lotta work ahead. Got the signs made, at least. Handpainted and looking like we are serious. Will have alot more soon.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How exciting....wishing you much success !

--------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you the best on that. I haven't been to Santa Fe in a few years but next time I'm there, I'll look you up.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the best Preston. We owned our own art gallery for five years... very different business than signs!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I received my issue of Western Art Collector magazine and it has an article about the galleries of Santa Fe.

Best of luck to your new venture.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ART GALLERIES OF SANTA FE ( TOUGH CROWD ):

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+art+galleries+of+santa+fe,+nm&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1p1WU6mcCsS0yAS3moLADg&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=607

IMAGES OF SANTA FE:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1242&bih=607&q=SANTA+FE%2C+N%2CM.&oq=SANTA+FE%2C+N%2CM.&gs_l=img.3...1334.5587.0.6008.14.13.0.1.1.0.158.1552.0j13.1 3.0....0...1ac.1.42.img..1.13.1413.aQ33CzddvRw

GOOD LUCK !

[ April 22, 2014, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very plain landscape: A distant view of Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1873. Santa Fe is one of the oldest continually inhabited places in North America. Thought to have been settled by native American's in around 1050 AD, the city has grown into one of the most prosperous in New Mexico and the Southwestern United States

-

[ April 22, 2014, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynda Yoder   Email Lynda Yoder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great adventure! Best of luck to you!

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Posts: 154 | From: Grass Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si, did you live there in 1873?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Speaking of 1873 and the wild west....
In 1873, my distant uncle waltzed into the #10 saloon in Deadwood and shot James Butler Hickock (Wild Bill) in the back of his head over the nefarious affections of Miss Jane Burke (Calamity Jane). Hickock fell forward, revealing his poker hand of aces and eights, the deadman's hand. Jack McCall was whisked out of town after someone threw in the front door of the bar, right after the murder, the head of a savage, who was part of a bounty for a recent attack on a family by highwaymen or savages, where a reward of $50 was offered from the head of the savage responsible.
(In the series Deadwood, the head of the savage that Al Swearengen had in his close proximity was portraying this very savage head)

Jack made it to Casper or Cheyenne,Wyoming (story goes) whereupon he bragged that he was the man who killed Wild Bill. Unfortunately, the man he bragged to happened to be a Deputy and dear Jack was tried for assassination (then they had plain old murder and then premeditated murder called assassination. Turns out Wyoming was a state at that time as South Dakota was not, yet, ergo the magistrate charges. The trial took a spell and Jack was hanged by the neck some 18 months after committing the dastardly and jealous deed.

On my website I have a couple of paintings "Uncle jack" and "Aces and Eights" that I depicted the spirit of this event that my grandfather reminded me of many times whilst growing up. Ha...and you all thought I was just a splash artist! lol

Thanks, Si for the pic of Old Santa Fe. There are many old shots taken of the place that are in the Governor's mansion and worth the visit on Palace St. next to the Plaza in downtown Santa Fe.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!