Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What to charge?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to charge?
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another sign shop has asked me to sandblast a sign for them...they have noticed a couple of my signs and like the woodgrain look...the grain frame I've made is pretty convincing...when I'm finished it even fools me and I know it's fake...anyway my question is...How much to charge per hour...the guy they use now is just a general sandblast guy...he has no experience in blasting hdu signs...no feel for consistency or depth of cut...not to mention he has no woodgrain frame to blast through...I would appreciate anyone with blasting experience to give their advice...thanks

I found an old pic of what my frame will produce.

-

[ April 04, 2014, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which begs the question........since the other guy they used.........is not doing the job for them that they want..........and they come to you, with your expertise and experience....HOW MUCH MORE ARE THEY WILLING TO PAY????
now we go to how SI prices stuff:
"give them the highest price within reason you would charge.........AND IF THEY DONT FLINCH on that..... ADD ON SOME MORE)))))))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The price is what a willing buyer will pay,
And a willing seller, will sell for'
On any given thing.
But I would say, maybe $35-50 per hour at least.
Or, just do what I do,
And give them a flat rate based on what you think seems fair.
I am not a time clock puncher, and never will be.

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is funny about charging be the hour....
If you are really good, you might get it done faster.
Someone not so good....might take longer, and do a worse job.
And so, cost the customer more.
Don't you think you should actually make more,
For doing it right and fast
Than if you weren't so good and charged by the hour?

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Also, lame @$$ carpenters and contractors,
Will charge YOU to fix their own stupid mistakes!
I have never been like that.
I quote a flat rate, and stick to it.
Just my opinion, not right or wrong...up to you what to do

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's beautiful Rusty.. I'd like to know how long it would take you to sand blast something like that and also how you made your Grain Frame? I don't do blasted signs very much but just finished 2 30" x 60" signs, the guy who blasted them for me charged me $600.00. And thats with out a Grain Frame...

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I sandblast all the time.
I don't own the compressor, or supply the sand, but I pay the man $20 for every bag of sand I go through & he's very happy. 50 lbs of Nepheline Syenite will blast 2sq' of cedar, or 6 sq' of 15lb HDU in 4 minutes, to the depth I usually blast.
Now I don't blast as deep as some do ....... I'm mostly after the texture, & most of what I do isn't that big, & small letters sticking out .625" or more can be damaged very easily.

So, Neil's 30" x 60" signs would each cost me $45 or so in HDU, or $120 in cedar to blast, not counting my own labour.
Blasting is FAST, but there's setup time, etc., but I could take Neil's 2 signs out to be blasted, do them & be back here in 2 hours. At $75/hr, plus my outlay, I would probably have charged him $270 for both, if made from cedar.
In HDU, probably $200, as long as there were no issues with the mask ( adhesion, stage blasts,etc).
I watched a bunch of folks make their own grain frame ........ most were junk, my first one included so I broke down & bought the real thing. It was money well spent.
Rusty ..... your results are awesome. You've done a good job building yours.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another pic of how the grain looks unpainted...I blasted alot of redwood and cedar in my day and this frame does a good job of faking the verticle grain clear heart...disregard the the black sign...I cant remember why it is in the picture.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Neil...that sign is double sided 4'x7'...maybe took a couple of hours...probably close to as much setup time and loading sand as actual blasting.

Years ago Todd sent me a pic of the frame he had made...I took that and modified it to fit my needs a little better...I'll try and get some close up pics of how it is constructed this weekend and post them...it's a simple setup and didn't cost much to have made...the real trick for a natural look is how you tie the wires...the pics should give you a good idea of how that was done.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely beautiful work, Rusty.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Excellent work!

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm loving that tree! You do some very good work. I probably would have painted the sawhorses to make them fit in better, but that's just me, the perfectionist.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rusty.
I am curious to know why I see a fade with the Green Background. Any reason ?

kb

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely work, Rusty!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Kevin...I often put a black fade behind elements to make them pop...the Eastwood pic above doesn't show the fade as black as it really is...it is straight black to green...I suppose there was alot of reflected light when I took the photo...whatever the black appears washed out in the pic...below is pic that shows the black fade better.

-

[ April 07, 2014, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty do you really want to get into blasting for others? Are they in competition with you? some how I feel that the word competition is silly when I see your work.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing!! I think I paid a little too much, but that all you can do...Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!