Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Car Outline Templates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Car Outline Templates
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a source for new car outline templates?

I have a customer who wants graphics designed for a 2014 Dodge Avenger, and I want to do something different from the "off the shelf" stuff.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Googletown?

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
signelements.com

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody else design over the top of photos of the actual vehicle? It's easy enough to scale a photo...just not to the exact precision of well made "store-bought" templates. I just don't remember designing graphics that had to be accurate to 1/8" or whatever. And even if I did, I'd allow a little extra to trim anyway to make installation easier.

I cut a 12x12 magnet. Just stick that to the vehicle for the photo. Then size the square to exactly 1 inch (or whatever you want to represent a foot) before removing it with photoshop.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.the-blueprints.com/vectordrawings/show/2132/dodge_avenger/

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never do anything else. Gives customer a far more realistic impression of what finished job will be like

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!
I usually do use photos for these things; but I like to use the outlines to make sure of the sizes. I've had issues, in the past (my own fault) where I took a photo on a slight angle in one direction or another, and it threw either the measurement or the angle of a curve off a little.

Usually, after I get the design part done, then I use the photo, to get the "look" I'm after. It also helps when working with the customer, to get just the right color combination.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too use the photos. But I don't size by using a measure tape on the photo. I measure say a window width. When my photo has a window width of 26" the photo is the right size.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do what Deri does....

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the same. I'll measure several items that I know will show up well in the photo and scale to those dimensions. I also make sure I take the photo from some distance away and zoom in on the vehicle.

When scaling to measurements, I'll generally work from the largest clear object for which I have an exact size. That way, small errors won't affect things as much. If because of the limits of the resolution of the photo, I made a 1/8" mistake scaling my photo to a 12" object rather than making that same 1/8" error on something 60" long, the percentage of error is much less.

[ March 04, 2014, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Accidental double post.

[ March 04, 2014, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the vehicle outline, I usually fill the color in using Illy with a gradient and add a light vector shadow under the car, I'll PDF the work after for a proof and it looks sharp. Dale, most vehicles do not change too much. You can get away with an outline a few years before the model you need. If not, you can "alter" with a node tool or just re-draw the frame of the vehicle from a google image and use the lights and tires from your older outline. I'm a vector nerd, so that's just my way.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!