Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » off gas pvc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: off gas pvc
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My local museum has a job to make a bunch of signs for their new displays.

They requested Sintra. My plastic supplier quoted Komatex and I had considered 'pitching' the idea of Styrene as a cost effective alternative.

So the museum says they are concerned about gas emissions which would affect the artifacts.

After talking to my supplier again, I'm told both Sintra and Komatex emit animal fat gas. Back when I asked for pricing on Sintra, they gave me pricing for Komatex 'because it cost less'.

And Styrene has higher levels of emission than the above, so it's off the table all together.

I originally thought the signs were to be mounted on the outside of the glass display cases, but apparently some will be inside an airtight glass container and can ruin the items should the plastic emit any animal fat gasses.

Whaaaaa!?

Has anyone come across this before? And if so which plastic would you suggest using?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could offer to use glass.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, we are getting persnickety now, aren't we?

How about some white Plexiglas?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The display cases were brought in by some Museum Display supplier and the signs are used and changed as the exhibit they house changes.

So we are basically 'customizing' them and replacing the glass is not an option.

Good idea though.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since they're that picky, and they requested Sintra, I would think Sintra it is. You have that request in writing, I presume?

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Don, they did request Sintra in the form of email.

Originally she was going to get someone else to produce the prints and have me supply and apply to the plastic and I quoted that portion of the project.

Now they'd like me to handle the whole project and I'll have to 'Duke it Out' with my supplier for quoting me Komatex, when I also requested a quote for Sintra.

My supplier claims that the two are the same and emit equal amounts of off gas.

I'll see if my client wants the Komatex option for less money or I'll re-quote on Sintra and explain that my supplier substituted product to make the price more attractive.

If I just give them what they ask for, they can't come back on me later.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd run like hell from this job.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Animal fat gasses" ?
What is that - a pig's fart?

Is perhaps using animal fat a better idea, than using mineral oils in the manufacture?

My wife used to make home-made soap, for a few years.
You would brew up the lard, using the fat from around the kidney area of the beast - that gave the best soap.
Ultimately it was or is a 'natural' product, as opposed to a synthetic product.

I am surprised to hear that the components of out-gassing would be considered a problem though. At least not much more of a problem than the bad breath, sweat & body odour of the person putting the products in the case...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of objects do these cases contain that are sensitive to animal fat emissions?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

I know...this whole project sounds a bit 'off'!

I've been at this for a good 25 years and this is a first for me.

Dennis, I am meeting with the client this afternoon so I'll get more info, but there are 2 new exhibits.

One is on loan from another museum and it is "Owls of the North". I imagine there will be taxidermied owls in the display case. Maybe the fat gas will cause them distress?

The other has artifacts having to do with the history of the town itself; paper, cloth, metal items that may deteriorate or corrode if exposed to gas emmissions?

I just wanted to know if anyone here has ever come across this before or had much experience dealing with signage in a museum environment.

What about the prints themselves?
Do solvent based prints emit gas vs water based inks?
Does the laminate off gas?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps museum grade mat board or foam core with archival inks would be the way to go. I believe there are printing companies online that will do this kind of thing.

[ February 19, 2014, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Good point Kelly,

Maybe they should be considering the use of Gatorfoam or one of the other 'paper' board products.

I'll ask about that.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could do that for any sensitive display signs and do the rest normally.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the signs are no larger than 8.5 x 11", why not use your printer and print it on heavy card stock.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't think there'd be much of an issue anyway. Sintra and Komatex are basically the same product.....expanded PVC.

Kinda like using Oracal intermediate and Avery intermediate vinyls....pretty much the same.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some else suggested using GLASS....... but i think you took it to mean change the glass of the case. NO!!! figure out the size of the sign for these specific cases.......go to a place that sells glass.........have them cut a couple pieces the size you need.....cover it with whatever color vinyl you want for a background and lay the letters on that)))))

[ February 19, 2014, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not the only one with this problem:

http://www.thegrumble.com/archive/index.php/t-18394.html?s=973780d19809dc97e5e7ef8d4a93c4d7

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would a product lite this be suitable?
http://www.converd.com/catalog/products.asp?id=converdBoard&id2=conVerdBoardCoated

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

There are 41 signs. They are all different sizes, the largest being1'x200" and the smaller being 6"x 3', so getting glass pieces cut is not really an option.

To complete this job will take 6 sheets of 4'x8' and a 4'x10' sheet of Sintra.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balsa wood...with latex paint which gas's out fairly quick.

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!