Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » starting over...help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: starting over...help!
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I do realize that I'm candidate to 'World's Dumbest" at the moment, but here is anyway.

Got new external hard drive at Christmas...been meaning to back up my files...didn't do that and fried my old XP.

I have other XP's here, but thought, hey...they could have any number of problems too, since they are all old...really old.

Made the decision to 'bite the bullet' and have my computer guy build me a new computer. (I think OP suggested that last week to someone else) and now I can't get my old Flexi 6x to run in Windows 7 (I did not go with windows 8).

I have been trying to get it going in autorun, it takes my user ID and password..and that's as far as I get.

It shows all my files as sitting in d: - so how do I get this in to programs and work with it?

Help topic suggests this version be run in windows 98/ XP

I'm hoping someone/anyone who has updated knows how to help.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the problem is your computer guy loaded WINDOWS 7 64 BIT..........have him come back and reload WINDOWS 7 AS 32 BIT!!!!!!!!!
this is the problem when you have OLDER 16-32 PROGRAMS WILL NOT RUN IN 64 MODE!!!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Packing it up OP, and taking it back to the store - my guy says he will reload it.
Thank You!!!!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the help menu itself says to run it in XP, is there a chance it won't run on W7, even after reloading it as 32bit?

I don't know, I'm just curious if this might be the case, and if it is, perhaps you wouldn't want to reconfigure it, if it won't resolve the issue.

Also, IF the reconfiguring doesn't work (hope it does, just saying "if") I would suggest buying a cheap used CPU running XP, and maybe even hide it behind a monitor or on the floor... and use the new computer for design work, and everything else you work on. Sending files out of Flexi to your devices works fine on XP, and there is little if any advantage to a newer operating system, for these tasks. I would think you could find a decent used XP computer for under $200

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Have 3 XP's sitting here Doug.
My thought was why set everything up again on an old computer that can break down in a week. May as well get something new and be 'good' for a few years.

I guess I could always 'frankenstein' the ones I have, but I was planning to set up second computer & plotter in the workshop. When we renovated, I had the foresight to wire wire the workshop & office together to share files/internet etc.

From what I gather, the 'auto run' thing didn't work and I had to go into the files to find the exe. file and manually select 'run as XP sp3' as a compatibility issue.

No matter, computer guy forgot to split my hard drive anyway and (grumbly) said he'd reload it tonite for me as 32 bit.

I gave him my flexi software too, so maybe he can make sure it's working, so I won't be going back and forth. I see too, that he's going on holidays for 2 weeks.

In the meantime I'm going to go play with my chisels.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOUG... i had WINDOWS 7 32 BIT loaded on a hard drive, not sure which on it is))))) it was a beta version and i had all of my older programs running on it and cutting to my older ROLAND CX-300. so i know in 32 BIT MODE.. stuff that runs in XP will run in WINDOWS 7 32 BIT.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley,

Here is a "little something" that you might want to read, before making your final decision:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2451550,00.asp

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Took your advice OP, and the new computer is loaded with windows 7 32 bit. Flexi is on there now and tomorrow I'll make sure sure the plotter runs and the rest of the equipment - but I think that did the trick.

Hopefully I won't need to replace the computer for a good long while. As for the files I lost - well I suppose anyone who has ever lost data and said, "back up, back up, back up" was right.

Pretty sure I learned my lesson!

Thanks for the advice.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading this post it occurs to me that computing has realy not moved forward as fast as it could have.
In a perfect world, any computer should be able to read the requirments for any software and set itself automatically.

The computer industry has not had any innovations in years. Faster is not better.

It amazes me we still have to actually type our words. Same technology we had when tapping out morse code.

Pathetic.

[ February 09, 2014, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Mikes Mischeif ]

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

well.....the advancement in bit tech has been slow.old 286/386 machines was 8 bit, then they went to 16 and then 32. the problem being is the higher numbered machines.....are not fully 100% backward compatible. windows 3.11 was 16 bit. this why it wont run any newer computers that are 32-64 bit.
the other problem in our line of work......people have legacy equipment. meaning programs and printers/plotters/scanners that ran fine with 16-32 bit......but when they brought 64 bit into the OS it left a lot of older programs and equipment unusable!!!!!
this is what happens when you get 64 bit windows 7 and try to run 16-32 bit program/equipment on 64 bit.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I have no clue about Windows, but Macs have allowed inputting by voice for awhile now (computers, phones and tablets). I don't personally use it, but it is a built-in option.

They do advertise that Dragon software on TV. No experience with that, but it's supposed to work. Their commercial even shows a demo adding a smiley face. I've wondered what about if you want to actually spell smiley face and not the emoticon?

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows has also had speech recognition for quite a while. I remember "playing around" with it when in some chatrooms, maybe 10 years ago, and it seemed to work fairly well.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

just look at new vehicles...........you can talk to the computer and it responds to your voice commands.
dragon......when it 1st came out had a lot of problems with the "fuzzy logic" it used to program words you spoke. the ones like WIND(air blowing)WIND(to turn)to, too two........that sorta thing.....seems they got a lot a better.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, 10 years of voice command software and you still get a keyboard with your computer.

We just upgraded our computers and inturn, our sign software, quickbooks and a host of other stuff.

Seems like a waste, but that's how we keep Bill Gates in puppy chow.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

short-cut keys))))) saves youre vocal cords)))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!