Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » THE STORY OF A COUNTRY SIGN PAINTER

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE STORY OF A COUNTRY SIGN PAINTER
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.signindustry.com/painted/articles/091800countrypainter.php3

ENJOY !

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a terrific story, Ricardo. I wouldn't be afraid to guess that there are a lot more of the same kind of tales out there....probably a good many, right here in Letterville.

I used to hear tales, when I was still in Cincinnati, from some of the old timers, about how they worked their way all over the country. It must have been a crazy existence, an old truck with your entire life in it.....working from one day to the next. I don't think I'd like to do it in today's world; but back then, it would've possibly been one hell of a neat adventure.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale,

Back in the 70s, I was in Miami, shortly after having been re-located, from Boston, by a local sign shop....During those years, I was always dreaming of buying a Westfalia van, to load it up with, just, my personal stuff and a few cans of paints and drive away, across the good ol' USA, to paint signs anywhere.........Then, I met a beautiful girl and my dreams were, magically, gone.

Can't complain....I want to believe that I have had a great ride, until now.

RD

P.S. --Dale, I had a friend, from Toledo, Ohio, who used to live, almost, like how you describe it....and.... the stories he used to tell, always, kept everybody around him in stitches....May he rest in peace.

[ January 22, 2014, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a shame he never got involved with the letterheads. What a great teacher he could have been with all his experience.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a treat to have worked with John. I could tell many stories of our time together but it would sound kind of bizzare. Mostly about our boss at the shop and even some typical trivals of our business. He was a excellent paint slinger who also taught lettering at a local Jr. College, which I took over when he and his wife left to Arizona...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I take it the guy still lives in Oregon. I'm gonna have to look him up next time I'm driving through thar. Great story.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he's still around. He indicates he was born in 1922 which wd make him 92 now.

As recently as 2005 I still had the idea of taking off cross-country living in a station wagon and painting landscapes. I'd become very used to living alone. I had everything fixed up ready to go, got 200 miles away from San Francisco and developed a busted radiator. One thing led to another and before you know it I'd run into my first wife, who I hadnt heard of in 45 years. We ended up getting together again, so here I am.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting this story ricardo. john passed in 2007 at the age of 84. he befriended me when he first came to the eugene area, and when they decided to move here , i took amtrak to mesa, az. and drove him back to oregon. he would hang out at my studio now and then, and i would have him help me with laying leaf. he never wanted me to pay him , but i wouldn't hear of it. i would drive him around for various errands he needed to run, and i was there at his final hours. he was such a good honorable man.

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Yes, he was.......Thanks, Vance.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!