Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Clothing defines the woman, NOT!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothing defines the woman, NOT!
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I had lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, Crockett's. This time I was not dressed in my usual attire, dirty jeans covered in paint, dirty shoes covered in paint and/or gresse or chit mud. Also, dirty torn gloves with the fingers cut out, dirty overcoat topped with pig tails, and a baseball cap. Sometimes I might still be wearing a hi-visibility vest from our local rubbish company. Nope, today I was wearing maroon leggings, a nice long crocheted top, long necklace strangs, lots of jewerly and my mink (Real Mink) jacket. The people that sat next top me started talking to me. Along with lunch, I had a pleasent conversation. Usually, I just get a long look from people and then the shoulder. What a difference on how your clothing can influence how people perceive where you are at in life.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, you are so right!
We are all guilty of judging a book by it's cover...but so many times....that book is really interesting and we should have given it a chance to be read differently. Some of the best stories have come from behind the rattiest covers.

It is all smoke and mirrors. Different people will perceive you in different ways no matter how you are dressed, they just ASS-U-ME things.

Today you showed them that you clean up nicely .....When you dress up you feel proud and probably exude confidence. When you have on your work duds, you can blend into the woodwork, people ignore you....but I bet YOU feel just as comfy and happy in your dirty clothes.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cars, clothes, houses, and such...mean nothing to me...only how someone treats his fellow man in life is what counts.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys,

For a great example about this topic, please check out my most recent posting......Which I chose to call "The Dog and The Magpie".......It, most certainly, confirms the fact that the habit does not make the priest....

CHECK IT OUT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PoL0hdHlmc

Make sure you, also, pay attention to the demeanor of the lady and the second dog, in the background

I hope you enjoy the video, as much as I did.

RD

[ January 15, 2014, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 12 years old I took my lawnmowing money to the Stop-N-Go to get some candy. The old man in front of me was buying a pack of bologna and a loaf of bread. He was wearing faded, dirty bib overalls, a dingy white t-shirt, and no shoes.

As he started to count the change from his little change purse it turned out he was 37 cents short, so he was going to leave the bread, and just buy the bologna. I put one of my candy bars back, and offered to pay the 37 cents.

The old man asked for my name and address so he could return the money, and the clerk suggested that I tell him to make him feel better.

About a week later I received a check in the mail for $100.37 signed by the wealthiest man in this area at that time.

My Dad and I went to his house to return the extra $100, and he was still wearing the same outfit. He explained that it was comfortable, and he also went into detail of how he often "came up short" to see if anyone would offer to help.

He said he admired the fact that I gave up a candy bar so an old man could have a meal. He then reached into his other pocket, and pulled out a roll of $100 bills, and told us that he had that on him at the time, as he handed me another 100 for trying to return the first one, and my Dad 100 for driving me to his house. We both tried to refuse, but he wouldn't hear of it. At that time my Dad's "take home" pay was just under $100 a week.

That was the day I learned to never judge anyone by their appearance.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just to look at it from a different perspective, if you were a dirty, crappy sign you wouldn't get as much respect and attention as a gilded beauty! Just sayin'.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I really love your story!

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

That was a very impressive, life enduring and cool lesson, you received there......Thanks for sharing.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, where's the thumbs up button. Nice story Don from someone who was obviously raised by very good parents.

[ January 15, 2014, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story Don....

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"like"

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to reply with a Joke about How I never get treated seriously when I wear My Hi Heels... but Don, that tops the Cake! And Thanks to Alecia's Story we probably would have never read it! Thanks!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW

--------------------
Cal Trauter
Raven Sign Company
Summerland BC
https://www.facebook.com/RavenSignCompany

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I deal with general managers and owners of many new car stores. When I have a sit-down meeting with any of them, if I wear a fancy suit, rarely do I get as aggressive a sale as when I wear jeans and some sign of paint on my clothes. Have spent many trips trying to prove or disprove this, but it remains clear that unless I look like a painter, they think I must be charging too much money.

Then there is the watch. I bought a nice, simple Rolex years ago. Not one of those diamond encrusted gold ones, but a simple stainless steel with no day bubble. Whenever they spot that, if they have guts, they ask me how I could afford such a luxury. I tell them it is simply my only luxury. I usually comment on theirs as Rolexes seem to be the marker that indicate authority in the car biz. Truth is that it is a great watch and can take serious abuse and keep running. I was buying a new cheapie every year or so before and this one has lasted me 20 years so far. These car dogs all spot it and stare at it, even if they say nothing. Most of them always act like they accept my modest luxury and I get the job out of some bizarre appreciation that I must know what I am talking about, or else I would not have it. Convincingly, the watch seems to grab more respect than any other thing I wear. Unfortunately the watch is still made today and they are outrageously expensive. They make knock-offs, but they do not last more than a year or so, I hear.

Bottom line is that the watch to the car dogs is the most effective ornament I have ever seen. Expensive suits or expensive shoes/boots do nothing, but the Rollie does gain respect. Hate to sound so materialistic about it, but to my cause, the watch has done what a fancy suit does for others.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny Preston,

Years ago, whenever things got quiet at the shop, I'd dress up and hit the road to do some good ol' fashioned cold calls. Nothing like getting out there and meeting folks and talking about their signs!

I did notice however, the more I dressed 'like a girl', the less seriously I was taken. As if a girl wouldn't be able to handle a large pylon sign!

So I took to dressing neatly, even went so far as to wear jeans (no paint) a tailored jacket, shirt and.... a tie.

Suddenly - I was taken seriously!

Go figure!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never think about making an impression with the clothes or accessories I wear when interviewing for a job...or at any time for that matter...I just don't want to look so odd that it draws attention...I am comfortable with just being myself...maybe the antibusinessman persona is a refreshing change from what many people are expecting...of course knowing I have my portfolio in hand...comprising my best work...doesn't hurt one's confidence level either...I think most of us sign people feel pretty much the same in this area...we are who we are...take it or leave it.

[ January 16, 2014, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look pretty darn good in a suit. I look pretty good in jeans and a T.

Heard too many times from fellow sign people. Going to a big wig meeting with jeans and a T. It's gotten to the point where wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt as an anti-establishment statement is worse than wearing a suit.

I don't mind pigtails, pants with paint and sawdust and the smell of one shot. Was admiring someone the other day in grubbies working away. But it sure is nice when a girl gets gussied up.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father in law works for one of the biggies in the Defense Dept as a contractor. He answers to cabinet level people.

His daily outfit is:
$900 suit
$300 tie
$200 shoes
$600 briefcase
And of course a very expensive watch (which is why I was reminded of this story)

He was working there about a year when one of the people that works for him (about 300) said something about his car.

His parking spot is one of the best as you go into the glass skyscaper, so everyone sees it as they enter the building.

As you look down the row at the High end Mercedes, jags, Porshes and other exotics, he proudly pulls along side with his 2001 Honda Civic.

He actually went to buy the car for my wife when she was in college, but loved the gas milage so much, he kept it.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess he gets to use whatever kind of toothpaste he wants, as long as he doesnt tell anyone what brand it is?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!