Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » tiling - how?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tiling - how?
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a billboard project that measures 16' high by 24'wide. The artwork is done and approved and it will be a full color digital print.

I am supposed to send the art to the printer as 12 individual 4'x 8' panels but I have never tiled and don't know how to do this.

I checked the Step by Steps section here, but didn't find anything on tiling.

Is there a way to do this in Flexi6 or Corel8?
I would think I'd need to set up the panels to have a 1/4" - 1/2" overlap.

Others I've spoken to say that when they print larger graphics the printer automatically tiles for them. Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley, I'm not familiar with Flexi6 or Corel8 but you could do this in a very simple manual way. I would have a 1" overlap between each panel, however that requires that the panels be 50"x98", or you have one very thin panel on the vertical and horizontal side, or you crop the image to a slightly smaller size. First of all I would work in scale so that the full size of your artwork was 19.2" high X 28.8" wide, then I would create 12 rectangles 9.6" wide X 4.8" high. Lay the rectangles over your artwork, overlapping each one by .1" then copy all of this and paste it 12 times. On the first image, select the image and one of the rectangles and create a clipping mask or whatever your software calls it. Repeat this 12 times on the other images selecting a different rectangle each time. When you are done you should end up with the 12 panels of the image. When the panels are printed they would be scaled up 1000% in the RIP to create the correct size final product.

[ January 01, 2014, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Gary Boros ]

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do this in Corel with the Powerclip feature.

Draw your 12 boxes with the desired overlap so they are all arranged to the final 16'x24' layout. Now Group them together. Select your image and then Effects -> Powerclip -> Place Inside Container and select your boxes. You can then ungroup the boxes and you'll be left with 12 individual tiles.

If the image isn't centred in the boxes when you "Place Inside Container", you may have to to go to Tools -> Options -> Edit -> make sure "Auto-center New Powerclip Contents" is checked.

Good luck!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley, your final sentence is your best bet. Ask the printer if they will "tile" for you.

Is not...import the original graphic into Draw at full size, then create lines at the 4' and 8' points you mentioned, vertically and horizontally.

Then start thinking how to move those lines in 1/4" or 1/2" increments to use the trim tool to chop the original graphic into parts that have the desired overlap.

You'll have to make several duplicates of things.

The process is a lot easier to do than to explain!!! [Wink] [Wink]

Heck...Just e-mail me the graphic, tell me the overlap you desire and I can e-mail you back the panels, in Draw 8 format within an hour!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!