Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » myrrh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: myrrh
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the gift of gold and frankincense. Gold is always a welcome gift and we all know babies can smell pretty nasty at times, but myrrh? What exactly was the good king thinking?

Well exhaustive research and marginal speculation has finally resolved this enigmatic dilemma. King Wiseman thought his intelligent hair-lipped brother said myrrh, when in fact he said "FUR"! Bring the New Born King some FUR, not myrrh. the brother had trouble with his F's and they sounded like M's....probably from too much R rolling and a bad teacher in second grade who did not teach phoenetics.

OK. I looked up myrrh. I thought it was probably some extract from some Egyptian beaver or some marsupial gland, but in fact it is a tree resin; an oliferous resin at that. Similar to pine tar or olive gum. It is supposed to be a cure-all for what ails one....a general panacea and curative medicine for various snake oils. Well, I looked and looked.

Interestingly, I had a tree sprout up next to my garage ten years ago. Strange tree. Kinda thorny and odd looking. I live in a small town inside of the Kansas City metro and we actually have an arborist, Mr. Eib, being a ritsy high end little town with outrageously expensive property taxes and very snooty neighbors. He stopped by one day and I asked him if he knew anything about this odd tree. He scratched his head and said it did not look native. He had no idea. Well...after closer examination of the pictures of Commiphora_myrrha on the internet, I conclude that I have now a fully mature Myrrh tree! It even has resin oozing out of it at various places. So, I now have the market cornered on myrrh.

Anyone needing any myrrh, I would be glad to send some as a token of appreciation for all of your friendship over the years at Letterville! Just a small processing and handling charge and if anyone wants a free second helping on this amazing offer: Separate shipping and handling will apply. Gee. You think I should get one of those British announcers to do an info ad?

Merry Christmas to all and I will try to keep warm in my myrr.
Mrrhry Christmas!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preston if you want to send me some myrrh that would be great...better yet if you have any extract from an Egyptian beaver's anal gland that might even be better...I do have alot of aches and pains you know...This reminds me of the time my curiosity got the best of me and I sent off for some miracle spring water promoted by one of the tv preachers...I soon recieved a small package... it consisted of a little sealed plastic vial of water claiming to be from the Holy Lands...it had even been prayed over which I suppose added to it's already potent healing powers...along with it came a lenghty letter proclaiming stories of the many miraculous healings that had occurred as a results of the water as well as several shameless appeals for money...it seemed ironic that this vile of wonderous miracle water had printed across it..."Not for Human Consumption"...so if you got any extra myrrh or even beaver extract send it on...the miracle water didn't work...and if your stuff works...even a little...there might be a little donation coming your way.

[ December 24, 2013, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty .........

Myrrh is an Arabic word meaning bitter!

Hope you enjoy it!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Merry Christmas!

[ December 24, 2013, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang.......I always thought it was the sound made by a Mazda rotary......

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BULLETIN! BULLETIN! BULLETIN! This just in!!! [Bash]

What is the Genus Species? Commiphora myrrh

Why is this information important? There are many species of Myrrh that are grown in different parts of the Africa and Arabia. And many varieties of the resin which essential oil is made from. The myrrha species have documented healing properties but some of the species are considered mediocre for medicinal use.

The myrrha species from Somalia has powerful healing properties and it is the one that I am most familiar with.

Much of the myrrh like frankincense, Melaleuca and Eucalyptus species is being adulterated (changed) or synthetically made. And most companies are selling it under the generic name myrrh. So always purchase essential oil form a reputable source and by genus species, as well as, common name.

What Part of the Plant is Used? Gum/resin

What is the ORAC Value? 379,800 µTE/100g

Why know about this number? ORAC stands for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity. It tells you the antioxidant capacity of a food item. Antioxidants have shown to reduce the risk of age related conditions and cancer! This was developed by the USDA researchers. For instance: Blueberries = 2,400; Clove = 1,078,700. Wow! The number for clove is NOT a typo!

Most Interesting Historical Reference?

Did you know that Myrrh is recorded in Ebers Papyrus, one of the oldest Egyptian medical texts on record? Ebers Papyrus dates to about 1550 BC and contains over 700 remedies for almost everything including cancer, asthma and of course, embalming.

Where is the name derived from? Myrrh comes from an Arabic word "murr" meaning "bitter".

Why is this information so important? Its not, it’s just a fun fact!

What are the Plant Properties? Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antitumoral, analgesic, anti-infectious, antiviral, anti-parasitic, antiseptic, astringent and tonic.

What are the Documented Uses and Benefits of Myrrh? Bronchitis, diabetes, cancer, viral hepatitis, fungal infections (Candida, eczema, ringworm, athletes foot, vaginal thrush), tooth and gum conditions, skin conditions (wrinkles, stretch marks, chapped, cracked), diarrhea, dysentery, hyperthyroidism, and ulcers.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Robert's post I cant wait to get order from Preston. [Wink]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how Si knows Arabic. I wonder if he knows the man arrested today with the flashcards? Considering Si's penchant for the NRA, I bet not.

Back to Myrhh. I am informed that my supply is now locked up as my brother, Mark seems to want next year's supply. He broke his knee earlier this year and is expecting a nice insurance settlement. Well, once he gets off the couch and sends me a check, I have to list this item as under contingency and earMarked.

Will examine my supply of myrrh tar on the tree once the winter thaw allows and will send you, Rusty some at my earliest convenience, but understand it will be for decorational purposes only and not to be consumed by man or beast.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duhhhh .... Preston ... maybe because I happen to be an Arab!

Not only that ... I speak broken English in 9 languages!

[Eek!] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [For Your Information]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Costa
Resident

Member # 3366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Costa   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Costa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It went something like this:
The first King said, "I bring you Gold."
The second King said, "Frank sent this."
and the third King said,
"But wait! There's Myrrh!"

...learnt on the internet....

Posts: 620 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Preston...if I cant eat it then you keep it...but thanks anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty?
Beaver's anal gland oil???

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was the middle part of a speech hesitation heard in this area. "I was gonna do that this afternoon after I, um mrrh uh, thought it over some more."

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Bob...yes..."oil of beaver"...especially if mixed with powdered rhinocerus horn is said by some to be an extremely potent aphrodisiac...though being the skeptic I am...I do have my doubts.

[ December 27, 2013, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, I almost choked on my Cheetos! Good one!

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!