Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » another win 7 / plotter question....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another win 7 / plotter question....
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my computer fixit shop mentioned xp would have no support after april 2014 and suggested i should think about switching to windows 7 ( he said don't go near windows 8! ) will i have a problem with my trusty summa D60 plotter working with 7 ?.....thanks for any info on this matter

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would be better for you and your computer fixit guy, to just get a new hard drive load WINDOWS 7 32 BIT on it and go from there. EXAMPLE: $57.00 500 GIG WD HD. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=818349&Q=&is=REG&A=details
most people who have older equipment(me)really dont need 64 BIT operating system. this is a big mistake most do when moving to WINDOWS 7.
how many 64 BIT PROGRAMS DO YOU OWN??? i would bet ZERO!!!! so why put a 64 BIT OS on your computer.

[ December 11, 2013, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you didn't say what program you use to drive the plotter or cut from so it's a very illusive question with far too many possibilities to answer,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not meaning to be illusive tim, i use and cut direct from corel x3

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a lot of us cut direct from corel draw, i was doing it way back in 92 with corel 3)))))
i had WINDOWS 7 BETA loaded here when it 1st came out, 32 BIT......downloaded newest roland driver and was CUTTING FROM COREL WITH IT. my caution is when jumping to 64 bit OS....WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING OLDER 32 PROGRAMS AND EQUIPMENT.
since you have a suma d60........check with their web site and see if they have a plotter driver that will work in WINDOWS 7.......

[ December 11, 2013, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe..For some reason you seem to have a dislike for Win 7 64 bit lately.

I am wondering why?

Do you have an ancient program that you won't give up?

Some of the programs I run say that 32 bit is recommended, but everything runs fine with the 64 bit OS for me.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

glad it all workds for you....BUT YOU AINT THE ONLY FISH IN THE OCEAN ))))))
64 BIT WINDOWS 7.......really does nothing for your computer unless you have ALL 64 BIT PROGRAMS... its that simple. most GAMES are 64 BIT...most of your productivity programs AINT!!! dont need to be.
older 16 bit and 32 bit programs sometimes cause problems in the 64 bit environment.
its the old story iam running a ROLAND PNC-1000 and it dont work right on my WINDOWS 7 64 BIT OS....now you see what iam talking about........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JOE, KNOWS...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
went to the summa support site and downloaded the driver and program there from summa,..it installed well enough on my win 7 64 bit laptop and I know corel x3 works on win 7 64 bit,....the only problem with 64 bit windows is with older 16 bit programs that will not work on a 64 bit platform,....

edited to add,..there is nothing wrong with windows 64 bit operating systems,it is usually the older programs folks try to use on it,...there are many advantages to a 64 bit platform that far outweigh any shortcomings to a 32 bit system,...first and foremost is the ability for the system board to access more than 4gb of ram (64 bit os can access up to 16gb on home premium windows 7 version and up to 192 gb on the professional version) which is essential to alot of the programs we as graphic artists use on a daily basis,....just because a piece of software isn't a true 64bit programs does not mean that it will not benefit from a 64 bit operating system as the hardware will out perform a 32 bit hardware and thus make the 32 bit software run faster,...

[ December 12, 2013, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!