Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Shop Anniversary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shop Anniversary
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, November 1, was the 22nd anniversary of the opening of my own business. I began with a $5,000 loan (each) from my mother and two brothers. They are now all dead, but they were paid back.

At 69 I'm contemplating retirement, but not just yet. In less than a year I will be debt free and will begin to slow down a little.

Over the years I've made just about every dumb mistake you can imagine, but I don't guess I would change anything if I could do it all over again.

After all, this is better than working for a living.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bet that I have made a few that you never imagined!

[For Your Information]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, since you've made every dumb mistake already, and are entering the forgetful years, start the list over and see if you learn faster?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you wouldn't change anything Raymond? I'm pushing 35 years of self employment, 30 yrs.with staff. I too have made mistakes, but like you, I have no real regrets. Would I change anything, most certainly. In 30 years of leasing space, I've spent nearly $700,000. in rent. Who would have thought I'd been in business this long? Another thing, I would have spent a lot more on the "business" end of it. Typically sign shops are started on a shoestring...under-funded in every area, and unfortunately under skilled in critical areas of management. Nothing has changed much in 35 years. I guess it comes down to expectation and realities. The bottom line is do we have quality of life, and that includes a myriad of factors. Money really isn't imporant in itself, but security is! Unfortunately, money and security are not mutually exclusive.

Edited to add: I pushed enter sooner than I wanted.
I have a lot of respect for you and everyone who has followed their passion for making signs. I highly doubt if I'd still be making signs had I not become self employed. So for that I have no regrets. I love making signs, just like you.
Congratulations to for following your dream and to those close to you that without their support, you would not have succeeded .

[ November 02, 2013, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to include myself, when it comes to expertise in mistake-making.

Don't know about you, but I didn't realize a lot of them were mistakes, at the time they were being made. Many of them just occurred during the course of business. This business was never "work" for me; even the challenges were fun in most respects. It was always rewarding when a customer wanted something really "weird" or complex, and had enough faith in my abilities to say "you make it happen".

I'm 68 now, but real retirement isn't all that appealing to me. I still enjoy "swingin' a brush", and even though I've slowed down a lot and take more time off (mostly due to a stroke I had a couple years ago), I hope to be able to go on for a few years yet.

Would I do it all again? Let me put it this way. If it was the way it was back then, things were simpler. The sign business was still a craft, requiring many learned skills that made the business day, a fascinating journey; and one that I truly love, to this day.

Given all the computerized "this" and digitized "that", and the level and amount of cut-throat competition, I seriously doubt that I'd enter this field today. "Quick" and "cheap" are poor substitutes for quality, and that's what I've always tried to provide for my customers.

[ November 03, 2013, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Raymond!

This is my 45th year of being self employed in the sign business. Mistakes are something I make every day. It's how we learn. I started small, on the fringe of the business rather than simply painting signs. I have nothing against vinyl but it simply wasn't for me. I'm not afraid of computers nor technology however (although I am challenged in that area) and have embraced CNC routers to help me do my dimensional signs and projects.

We've grown our business, purposely shrunk it down to just me again and now grown it once more in order to tackle the large projects under way in our shop. We currently have six full time and five part time staff and my expand even more in the coming months.

We've found our success and enjoyment in a niche area of the market, doing the bulk of our business for small regional theme parks. Back when we started this specialized work I wondered how long it would last or how much there really was. I had no reason to worry. We turn down more work than we are able to take.

I've come to realize that if I follow my passion what I do is not really work at all. Instead I find the days fly by and I am challenged daily to get better and better. Competition is something I've never really thought about or concerned myself with.

I work from a dream shop in my backyard in a tiny town far from the city. I am surrounded by and am close to a loving family. My employees are respected and respect me in return. I expect the very best from them and they in return delight me every day with the wonderful work they do.

I turn 60 in a couple of months and it causes me to pause as I reflect on what we have achieved and what lies ahead in the coming years.

While I would perhaps like to ease back a little in the not too distant future I am delighted with the path get to travel daily. Life is good!

-grampa dan

[ November 03, 2013, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond...I've been letting things kind of slide all these years but since you bring it up...I think you must have forgotten about the $5,000 you borrowed from me back in 1981.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, it is you who must have forgotten - I paid you back, along with the other folks.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond...ok then...my bad...we'll consider it paid...but from the many of us here who truly love you and are concerned about your well being...please take just a couple of minutes and check out this link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2095705/Alzheimers-questionnaire-Test-reveal-YOU-risk.html

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

What link? And...who is this Bradley guy?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

Raymond says all the people who loaned him money are dead. I don't know if I would push this issue...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Raymond. I still consider you one of my first sign heros.

I think it was somewhere around 1975 that I finally discovered Signs Of The Times. After years of struggling, I finally had a link to real sign painters.

I recall getting my first issue. In those days I read them cover to cover, including all the ads. There was a truck lettering job for a locksmith painted by a guy named Raymond Chapman!

To have you as a part of Letterville all these years makes me very proud.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny Ray, 15 years ago Judy and I opened Signs1st, although I've been in the business self employed for over 15 years before that as basically a one maned operation, finally we had a "Real" Store front with employees and all, and that in 5 years we were going to be Gadzillionaires..... well that never happened,,, are there things we would have done differently? Yes of Course.... but I believe we all would have done that... but Regrets???

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake was working for myownself. Shoulda been in the back room away from them pesky customers. Learned That one too late.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Ray!
Who hasn't screwed up at one time or another? IMHO, if you're not making mistakes, you're not working.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Ray!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!