Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Help with Illustrator

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Illustrator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been limping along with Illustrator CS2 for too long. I now have the latest version. It's going to take a little time to get used to the new look, but here's a quirk I just don't get and I'm hoping someone can quickly steer me in the right direction. The first picture is a gradient made in Illustrator CC (newest cloud version) The results are awful.

-

Then I opened my old CS2 version and created the gradient in the exact same way and got what I wanted. Does anyone know why the new version is giving me funky results?
 -

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, would you give us a screen shot of how you set up the gradient? Or just give the settings? Are the sliders exactly the same in both? It appears that the top one has the sliders too far towards the center of the gradient.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are your color settings the same in both? I would think that the CC version would be an all encompassing setup between , IL, ID, PS, etc.

On a more basic lever, are they both the same color mode? Cmyk or RGB?

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, posting was just crawling, wasn't sure I hit the button.

[ October 04, 2013, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Bill Modzel ]

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than added bells and whistles, I don't see anything different in making gradients between CS2 and CC.

Well...besides that we could make a gradient with CS2 without paying a monthly ransom to use the software.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is just freaky. I've made hundreds of gradients in Illustrator and never got the results I got above. So to get the job done I simply copied the proper gradient from CS2 and pasted it into CC. When I clicked on either gradient, the settings remained the same. Yes I could have done the job in CS2 but what the heck, got to learn the new tool locations and features. And wow, lots of added tools since CS2, and CC prints instantly instead of taking a minute to generate the output.

Anyway, I came back in tonight and tried to duplicate the fades so I could take the screen shots you wanted Don, and wouldn't you know it, CC created the gradient like I wanted in the first place. No matter what I tried I could not get the funky gradient to show up. [Bash] So

Never mind. [Confused]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

That's ok. Was nice to get together with you and Bill Modzel again on an Adobe problem. Just like old times. We even still have the same profile pics. Letterville, when you never have to get old. [Wink]

--------------------

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

When I posted this I was hoping you two guys would jump in and help. I know Adobe is holding us hostage Don, but since the cloud subscription includes everything, I'm kind of excited to learn Dreamweaver and maybe write a few websites. In the long run, this subscription will be cheaper for me than upgrading, and adds all their fonts and other programs. I guess this is just the first wave of things to come.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm the minority- I prefer paying a little each month instead of the $2000+ all at once, when I bought CS3.3 Master Collection back in 2008... but I use a bunch of programs- I can see the issue if you are just using one or two.

Dave- check out Adobe Muse, it is a pretty interesting web design program- geared more for designers than coders

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Michael, you have a point, except that many including myself, can easily skip several years of upgrades w/o it being a problem. People requiring "the Master Collection" are in a tiny minority.

I'd just be more comfortable if the subscription was out there as an option, instead of being mandatory.

--------------------

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya- I bought a really cool photography suite of programs and one of the side programs was a really cool little software that would do photo frames on images... then a few months later they released the next version, and that photo frames program was missing, then they just discontinued support for the whole older suite... so now there is no way to get that program (unless you are like me and have it still running on an older machine) it won't work along side of the newer software. Unfortunately they don't give the option of using ANY of the previous versions of their software- when they do an update, you are almost forced to keep upgrading.

I still have CS3.3 running on one machine, but I still don't think I have used it enough to justify the amount of $$$ that I paid...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

btw- this was not Adobe, it was a small software company that makes photography add on software to work with Photoshop, Lightroom, Appeture...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Michael,

I still have Illustrator 10 running on a G4 because Gerber dropped MacImprint before the intel processors.

Fortunately, there's still al=lot of them around that are still functioning.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!