Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Customer would like an outdoor Memorial Wall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Customer would like an outdoor Memorial Wall
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning,

The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall was just in our area a few weeks ago. What an amazing exhibit and amazing people who travel with this wall and make it possible for the rest of us to experience and honor those who were lost in Vietnam.

I have a customer who lives in an area with a large memorial sign in their local park. It is old and a new one needs to be made. Has anyone done a project using similar materials to those used on the traveling Vietnam Wall Memorial? ( or know what that material is?) We are trying to come up with materials that can be used outdoors, maybe like a faux granite or marble, that the names can be either laser etched or routed into the material for a new wall/sign at this park. Right now there is plexiglass over the existing sign that is about 12'x7'with a wood awning over the top. The moisture is seeping under the edges of the plexi and clouding the sign.

Has anyone built a sign like this that can withstand the elements ( Michigan winters )but not to the extent/cost of granite or marble? We were discussing the possibility of making it in sections so other names can be added over time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most stone is sandblasted with the copy engraved into the stone, which makes it all hard to change or add to. I have seen some inspiring wall murals done with ceramic tile, and I realize this may be a departure from what you had'

The idea is every family or whoever is remembering that person handpaints their own tile with acrylic however they see fit with what ever sentiments, then the tiles are grouted onto a cinder block wall. The walls I've seen were really heartfelt and inspiring...some of the tiles being done by children....no art degree needed for a rememberance. The beauty of a wall like that is the fact that it can always be added to and is continiuos. all tiles were cleared with 2=pac urethane for longevity, and it was shaded from the sun. All the colors and things being said on each tile just made you want to spend time and look at them all.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds beautiful. I have seen some ceramic tile used on storefronts in the past few years. That sounds like a nice way to do a memorial.

This memorial has over 200 names now and is in a park near an upscale neighborhood. A couple of the people in the neighborhood association saw the memorial wall when it passed through this area and were inspired to do something similar. I wasn't sure what that wall was made from. It has to be a lighter material so they can transport it from town to town.

We have talked about routing the names into some type of material or etching the names in glass. The idea of using individual sections will make it easier to add names later. I have never done a project like this, so I wasn't sure of materials that would work outdoors. I wondered about even using the black dibond and route the names in. It's so thin though, wasn't sure how that would work.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done signs from solid surfacing material (countertop materials---Corian, Wilsonite are a couple of brand names that come to mind) and they are holding up nicely after 6+ years in our harsh weather conditions. The material comes in lots of colours that mimic natural stone like granite or marble and is a lot lighter. It routes and sandblasts beautifully and you can fill the blasted letters with PB Resin or other similar materials mixed with enamel paints to colour them. It's a nice look and if with times it gets looking at all chalky or faded you can make it like new with a light sanding and buff with fine grits.
If you decide to go with glass look into Carrara or Vitrolite black glass, I believe Pat Mackle in California is becoming a North America supplier of it. There is no substrate that can come close to comparing in elegance and class. Add some gold leaf borders or headings if you want to make it even more stunning.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the contact information and ideas of using the PB resin for letter color. I think we are on the right track.

Pam

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!