Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Hartco sandblast resist doesn't want to play nice.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hartco sandblast resist doesn't want to play nice.
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I am attempting to cut Hartco S425-15 sandblast resist on my Signmaker IVb but the lettering is not cutting right. The font is Futura, roughly 1.2" tall. I am using a brand new 60* blade at 50% speed.

The trouble is that on most letters, the end of the cut does not match up to the start of the cut. For instance, on a dot of an "i", instead of a nice circle, it cuts something closer to a spiral-looking shape. That might give you an idea of what is happening with the letters: they get distorted. This particular product comes on a paper carrier and when I look closely at the holes that are used by the pin feed they seem to be getting elongated a bit, thereby throwing off the registration since the machine doesn't know where exactly the blade point is. I assume this happens as a result of the increased drag on the blade through the thick material.

I called Hartco about this with a suggestion that they might swich the carrier from paper to something more substantial to prevent this distortion of the holes but got little more than a sympathetic ear.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you overcome it? I've already ruined about 3 yards of this high dollar material and would prefer to avoid having to cut a lot of small copy by hand.

Thanks.

Brian

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your Hartco real old where it is getting even harder than when it's fresh? I've always preferred Anchor. It has a plastic carrier and cuts much easier in my opinion.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!