Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » They're out there!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: They're out there!
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing this for over 50 years I shouldn't be surprised at anything, but some experiences are just so "out there" than I have to share them with fellow sign folks...and you've probably heard the same thing in the last few weeks or you will before long.

Today I received a phone call from a local Federal Credit Union wanting to know if I do signs on glass. Yes. "Well, we are changing our drive in hours from 8 to 7 and need to change the lettering on the glass door".

No problem, right? Since I did the hours on the glass door and the drive up window originally, I know the color, size and font.

"We'll be glad to take care of it"

Good."Could you come out to discuss the project?"

What? Discuss what? There is no need to come there since I did the original job and know the details.

No, she wanted to be sure that I understood what they needed. Yes, you change the "8" to a "7" on the front door and on the drive up window.

"How long have you been in business?" Well, at the present location 21 years, but I've been doing signs for spending money for 55 years.

After a few more questions, she still wanted me to come there before giving me the go ahead. A price had already been given and she was OK with that and they would have a check ready when the job was finished.

In my most professional sounding voice I was sure I had her convinced that I could handle the job without any problems. But...just to be sure, she wanted me to send her a proof of what the changes would look like.

Believe it or not, I still got the job - without the proof.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Raymond, you're say that Texas is full of them?

I agree [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe not full, but there's a lot. You probably don't have any where you live, though.

Joey, I think you meant "saying".

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I try to do window splash mostly, this is a reason why.

My new window splash customers, like to ask to see what it looks like before, do not blame them but has a cure.

I quickly draw it out with pen & paper as we talk & walk back in by that time I have a good idea& so do they as we discuss colors which is short, by that time I may have drawn it out a couple more times ..they now have a good idea & realize by looking at mine or others window splash as they surfing the net looking for what is it going to look like..oh I've drawn again if they are fussy while they were surfing & cleaned it up more.

This is why I like doing window splash & hand painted signs instead of software driven

Sold a small job today it will be done after dinner tonight between jobs & I'll ride my bicycle with a trailer of supplies & do it & get paid after ... love this kinda work, talent & know how equals sales & cash.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Craig,

I remember, back in the days ( in Orlando ), when you and I would be driving to see one of your customers...

While you were driving the truck, and I was riding shotgun, making sketches of what you had told me, previously ( meaning 15 minutes earlier ),we were going to be painting on the windows.

That's what I used to call "design on the go"........We didn't need no steeenkin' computer, in those days. Loved it !

I will never forget those fun days, Craig.

RD

[ August 15, 2013, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no big deal, Ray.......they just wanted to make sure you spelled it wright:)

Lots of that going on, these days.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray and his "Barry White" voice does it again!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The client's contempt for much common sense, still baffles me today. I did a 4 hour design of numerous sign projects on Sunday for a Chrysler dealer who told me he was in the big rush. It is about 7 grand of work. Spent my Sunday doing these and here it is on Thursday and he has not yet called me back to give me the green light. Made me drive out there 22 miles away, twice and acts like all is well. Somehow, I think he just lost his chance for the old package discount. Will listen to his ideas again and will bump him right into the stress pit when it comes to delivering things on time for his big grand opening. Got to love the jerks. They actually pay better than the ones who aren't.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Craig, Ricardo said he was your gunshot passenger. You must have been a real slave driver to make him sketch out a project before taking him to the hospital to treat his wound or were you on the way already?

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out.....My bad.....I meant to say that I was riding "shotgun", not that I was "gunshot".....Thanks for paying attention, Mr. Smarty Pants.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Craig- I like how you put the vinyl down first on the glass and letter over it. The reasons you listed on your website make a lot of sense. Is it "removable" or regular intermediate vinyl?

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops

[ August 16, 2013, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Philip Steffen ]

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!