Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » early signs of sign dementia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: early signs of sign dementia
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harassed by the niggling feeling that sign dementia is slowly creeping into your life? You wake up nights with a sudden urge to find your maul stick or think of some other use for those several gallons of fake mineral spirits you still have in your garage that you mis-bought, thinking they were regular mineral spirits? Stumble when trying to spell the simplest of words?
These are signs of the nettlesome Signs-o-himers and it is not covered by your health insurance.

Is it from all of that lead they removed from OneShot? Is it from endless tugs on application tape removal or all of those air bubbles you left behind in your vinyl signs? Could it be from having all those many half used cans of paint in your storage area? Some even wonder if it is from so many years trying to spell 'occasional' or 'necessary' correctly or why do we still have to spell some words with a 'ph', like 'telePHone'.

What are your signs that Signsohimers is creeping into your realm? Slowly we all fall victim to this self absorbing demension, just like remembering even our own phone number.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same ,same...

But I no longer worry about signs.
I only make art these days and the condition is helpful because most of my stuff is abstract anyway...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got any of your work on a website, Jack? Would love to see it.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's about doing a double-sided sign, where you have two sign panels, screwed and glued to a frame? Lift it off the table; turn it over; and find out the second side is UPSIDE DOWN!

Thank goodness, I got to it before the glue dried! It was still a helluva mess gettin' it straightened out.

Or, do an informational sign, for a breast cancer awareness group; and while getting it laid out so it will fit onto a designated sign blank, you copy down a MIS-SPELLED word that the customer wrote down on the paper she gave you, and didn't catch it. AWARNESS......?????? Embarassking!!!!

There again, thank goodness there was only 2 signs, and the customer realized and freely admitted that it was her mistake.

[ July 23, 2013, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm, my ongoing nightmare is finding bad kerning AFTER the sign is done, or other mistakes! aaarrgghhhh! Or wondering, "Why the heck did I do it that way? Where was my head when I made that one?"

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say this about 50 times a day,,,
Where is the tape?
Where is my ruler?
Where is my brush?
And,,,,
Where is a razor blade? Ouch, I found it! Ohhh weee @#$%%^^$!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say this about 50 times a day,,,
Where is the tape?
Where is my ruler?
Where is my brush?
And,,,,
Where is a razor blade? Ouch, I found it! Ohhh weee @#$%%^^$!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice is enough, lady!!!!!! We get it! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Applause] [Applause] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not 'Signs-o-himers' it is old age!

Example ...

The other day I was going to the store, get out to the car ... Oooops! forgot my keys.

Go back in to get them and ... Oh Oh! forgot to take this to te garage better do it before I forget again.

Out to the garage and spot that gun stock that I am refinishing. Lightly scuff it and apply another coat of TruOil.

See some stuff that should be out in the tool shed.

While out back decide that I better pull those weeds around the tomatoes, and pick the cukes before they get too big.

Go to put away the cukes and tomatoes, spot a new magazine that just arrived ... peruse thru that.

Three hours later ... still haven't got my car keys!

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or recall the van leaving your shop and ........... the sudden realization your own phone number is painted on the side!!!!

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At our age, finish lines or goals are not that important.....it's what happens along the way, during the damn journey, before we get to the finish lines or goals, what matters. That is what makes, at least, my life interesting, to me. Been there done that and intend to continue doing it the same way, if possible......It's the only way to enjoy the time we have left on this earth.

There are no rules.

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ July 23, 2013, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha sent off a panel to LATTC, then looked at the pic of it on my phone, ???? the top line...Welcome....I had left the final stroke of the "m" off !? LOSING IT! ;o( )o:

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple of weeks ago I missed a dental appointment (not that I was looking forward to it), but figured out it was because the pressure of time and commitment. Not just my memory.
How good it feels when you remember something you couldn't just a half hour ago.
It feels even better when you can answer a question on Jepardy that the contestants can't.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

I run thru the drive thru at McD's to get some lunch. They have these drive up trash containers conveniently placed after you go thru and I carry on board a box for misc trash I accumulate. I like to keep it at least half empty and use these McD's containers to get rid of the debris. I get my lunch in a bag and drive 20 feet forward. I reach behind the seat and snare four or five handfulls of trash and deposit in the container. Good. Two birds with one stop.

I get a couple miles down the highway as some client called me asking some insanely dumb question. Finally, I hang up and reach for my chicken sammy. No bag. I threw out my lunch! Then I notice I am driving south, instead of north. It is five miles later before I can turn around and when I get to the exit, I forget where I was going and head home. Oh well. Maybe it is time that I get a secretary to ride with me to write down my little plans. Am I dengerous? You betcha.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I misplaced an open bottle of India Ink one time, in the middle of a job. Never found it. I was living alone and nobody else was ever in the workroom, I kept an eye out for it for years but it never turned up. I figure it slipped into a time warp or something.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one point the other day while working on the computer I couldn't find my glasses..although a lot of papers and such were surrounding my computer I was becoming a bit frustrated after not initially finding them...knowing I had not gotten up meant they had to be somewhere in front of me...how hard could it be...thinking I was simply overlooking them in my rush I calmly sit back in my chair and slowly began a systematic search from left to right of the table top...surely a patience approach would unveil them for they had to be right there in front of my nose...and sure enough it worked...I found them...They were on my nose...I had never taken them off.

[ July 25, 2013, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Dennis,
The Vanishing Squad (VS) got your bottle of ink. They live in my laundry chute and every time I do socks they always manage to either steal one or redeposit one. They also borrow alot of money from me at night, I figure. I never seem to have enough!

...or how about when you try to rebuild some piece of machinery or tool and you end up with those extra screws and parts? Hmmm. They must have added some extras for me? Anyone need some extra Poulin Chainsaw parts?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Sam Nitzberg
Visitor
Member # 2185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Nitzberg   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Nitzberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHBG3ABUJU

--------------------
Sam Nitzberg
Chesapeake Sign Company
Cockeysville, MD
410-667-4467
sam@chesapeakesign.com

Posts: 21 | From: Cockeysville, MD | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! ! ! ! ! ! !

Sounds like me! ! ! ! !

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

I see your video and I raise you another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHBG3ABUJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtU7wGn5PAE

This is not funny, at all.

RD

[ July 29, 2013, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are all suffering from, Lead withdrawal!

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need shots of Tetraethyl!

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Interesting program last night on Modern Marvels about lead. The Romans, they report, used water pipes made of lead, but the water had so much limestone in it that it lined the pipes and made the drinking water much safer than previously thought by the researchers who posited the Romans vanished from lead poisoning. They did put wine in lead urns, which the acid turned it into a lead based sweetener that made the wine more interesting for the rich who could afford it. Apparently, the lead poisoning issue was based more on the wine than the water pipes.

They also stated that the body does remove alot of the lead we take in, naturally in a couple weeks, however some of it goes into the bones where the body, when needing calcium, uses the lead instead, causing brain problems.

They reported that lead poisoning had decreased in the US by 75% after they took lead out of gasoline. That is amazing.

Another interesting fact they said was that the bullet manufacture is the equivalent of the lead use for making 65,000 car batteries per day! That is alot of bullets!

They showed a factory making car batteries. They coat thin plates of lead with lead oxide, a powder. I wonder if the lead oxide powder added to our lettering enamel would return us to the opacity and long life of the previously leaded One Shot? I bet they don't sell lead oxide at the drug store.

[ July 30, 2013, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Preston McCall ]

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Try the Wal-Mart, Preston...they might have it.

It'll probably be like saccharin, eggs and who knows what, one day soon.

"A recent study published by the blah-blah university health studies group concluded today with the results being that lead isn't really harmful to your health, unless you drink a gallon of leaded enamel, or thinly slice a 1/4 inch sheet of it, and have it on your bacon, lead and tomato sandwich. So, never mind."

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Lauze'   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Lauze'       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can never seem to find pencils or pens for that matter at the shop. So I'm writing down notes with highlighters and pencil crayons..

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
FeatureWorx Creative Fabrication
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Posts: 264 | From: Cloverdale ( Surrey ) BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!