Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Too slick to Stick?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too slick to Stick?
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this one's for Roger; but I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing this?

We use a good deal of the aluminum panels with the baked enamel finish. I don't remember having this problem until fairly recently; but after wiping them down with Rapid Prep, masking tape does not want to stick (like to hold up a pattern).

Duct tape will stick; but even that doesn't have the "grab" that it usually has.

Has the formula changed on the Rapid Prep, or are the panels using a different paint system?

[ July 12, 2013, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, I always sprayed on and wiped off a couple of applications of Rapid Tac after using Prep.

Might help?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i often use metyl hydrate to wipe any residue
test on a part that doesn't show before.

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You DO need to rinse the Prep off before applying vinyl. Prep is strong enough that it will also attack adhesive. It can be rinsed with water, but Rapid Tac does a better job, because they are designed to work together.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Rapid Prep was just that, "PREP"....to get the surface clean and free of residues and ready for paint, vinyl, tape or "whatever."

I used to use wax and grease remover for a long time, with good success; but have recently read where Rapid Prep was better.

If I have to use something additional to prepare the surface, then I need something different.

[ July 13, 2013, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale are you
using the green body shop tape? I have noticed it not wanting to stick like it used to.

[ July 13, 2013, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Roy Frisby ]

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using the same tape I've been using for years, Roy. It's just plain old masking tape from the hardware.

I'm just taping patterns up, or trying to "hinge" vinyl letters......nothing fancy.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale...For most purposes, I used Rapid Tac as the surface cleaner. Only ocasionaly would I use Rapid Prep (or laquer thinner or enamel reducer), to remove tar or grease. But it still required a final clean-up with Rapid Tac to get a squeeky clean surface.

Kinda the same as when I removed previous graphics, I used Rapid Remover to get rid of the old adhesive, but followed up with Rapid Tac to do a final clean-up.

There really is no "one step" solution to getting a perfect vinyl receptive surface.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Moroney
Resident

Member # 9498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Moroney   Email Bob Moroney       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem trying to tape a pattern after cleaning with Rapid Tac. I simply took a new paper towel and more carefully wiped down the surface. Masking tape worked fine after more complete wiping.

--------------------
Bob Moroney
The Sign Guy
310 Club Valley Drive
Falmouth, MA 02536
508-259-6297

Posts: 216 | From: Falmouth, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most aluminum panels are powder coated, not baked so they are slicker than they used to be. At the same time, powder coating has some texture which aids adhesion. The other culprit is the maskant which have had their formula changed so that they can be recycled. Because of this, more residue is left on the surface which requires a clean and lift method so that the residue is not spread around on the surface.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Thanks Kent. I have noticed that some of these panels seem to have a little different appearance than they used to; possibly due to powder coating.

I'm surprised that Roger Bailey hasn't chimed in on this. He might also have some constructive input. Or maybe, it'll involve another product....

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!