Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Wall lettering paint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wall lettering paint
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last wall job I did, I painted 3' letters and used the same latex paint they used to paint the building. It's now over 2 years old, gets beaten by the sun quite abit, and is enduring very well. The colours on those letters were process blue and white.

So I'm getting ready to do some dark grey lettering on another building and am thinking of going the latex route with it again.

My reasoning for this is that I'd much rather clean up with water than to have to work with oils. Also, One Shot just seems to be fading faster than latex. (is anyone else experiencing this too?)

Do you agree with me on this? Or do you see some reason I should be using One Shot over latex on wall lettering?

Thanks much!
~ janette

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use Ronan. One shot is garbage anymore. Used to be the greatest when I started over 50 years ago and was wonderful until they sold.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latex works better, despite the harder effort needed to pull good edges and longer lines. I have used Sherwinn Williams' Metal Latex on several projects and it holds up well. They no longer hail Metal latex as their best, but I still have numerous gallons of it and still use it. Seems to hold up well in sealed cans with tape tightly wrapped aroyund the lids to really seal out any air. I also add a half cup of water on the top of the paint inside, before sealing them to keep them from skimming over. Have one can of green that I bought in 2000 and it is still fresh as springtime.

As far as color fastness, as I have said before, I did a sign (8x8) on both sides, north and south in red. It was March of 2007. I drive by it all the time and there appears to be zero fading on the sunny side, compared to the north side. Red, no less! One Shot Lettering would be peeled and completely faded by now. Six years and no fading? I believe the stuff is very good.

I did another large RAM sign on the south side of a wall, direct sun. It was over a gray latex painted block wall. I used red (one coat)and black with some gray. No fading. Fortunately,, especially with the blocks as guidelines. the scale was large enough that I did the entire thing using 3" rollers, so the edge work was a snap. If the letters are big enough, they go very fast with the rollers and keeping the lines straight is easier.

I did another "Parts Dept" sign at a Chrysler store in 2000 in white and blue latex. I had to use a 2" brush to edge it in black. 13 years ago and it still looks good. I swear by the latex. It holds up well both in color and adhesion.

I did just look at some 2x4 metal directional signs I did for an apartment complex, four years ago. All in One Shot Lettering. The black, blue, and cream (triple coated) are all peeling and faded. I am very unimpressed with One Shot Lettering these days for anything more than a temp sign. They called up and asked me to come repaint them. I am embarrassed to even try to redo them in One Shot. Will use latex and will replace the substrate metal with B-bond from Glantz.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad for these responses! I was thinking the same thing about latex, but just wanted to get a second opinion on my judgement.

Thanks also Preston, for the tips above. I didn't know you could keep paint from skimming over by adding the water. Too cool to keep learning new tidbits like that!

I also like sherwin william's paint so far. I use it on my sandblasted signs. T
his wall customer painted their building with Ben Moore. Many moons ago, I used to really like Benjamin Moore paint, but then it got to be that it would take too many coats to cover. Plus, they are pricey, .... so the coats really add up!

I've been getting pretty weary of being disappointed by One Shot paint.

Thanks again for all the good feedback!
~ janette

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would consider nothing other than a 100% acrylic paint (latex) for wall jobs. Our oneshot paint has gathered dust for decades and I do not miss the oils based fumes and mess. Acrylic lasts much longer too!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

I'm doing the happy dance here! lol

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been REALLY happy with the Nova Paint. http://www.novacolorpaint.com/
The colors are very vibrant and long lasting. The problem with it is you have to order it from California and that can be an issue. But the people there are really helpful if you have any questions and they have a bunch of info on their website!
We have also used a real high quality paint like Porter available locally. Sometimes these don't all have the range of color that Nova does but if you design with the colors available, that helps. Be aware of the TYPE of paint you are buying. Nova has a bunch of transparents & transluscents that are beautiful but don't cover well (duh!) but if you do your research and read their literature, you can get some really nice paint!

[ June 13, 2013, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't used One Shot for ext. wall jobs for years years, surprises me when I hear people still use it. Top grade acrylics/ latex all the way. The biggest thing is to use the right brush for the job. Also,you can match the sheen of the building paint. It's always interesting to hear how worried people are about the longevity of the wall signs, most out last the business. There's not a lot of things out there that will give you more than a 1 year warranty, but people seem to think a signs should last forever.

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Great Jane, and reasonably priced too. I appreciate that.

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janette, I've been a One-Shot fan for a long time, but it's flat-out crap now, and they're doing nothing that we know of, to try and improve it in any way.

Many of us here, know who Robert Dafford is, the artist who has done many beautiful mural walls in Vicksburg, MS; Memphis, TN: Newport, KY; and many other spots around the country.

My wife and I went over to Vicksburg, about 5 years ago, when Mr. Dafford was working on the murals there. He wasn't there, that day, but his scaffolding was still set up, and many gallons of paint were sitting around. 90% of it was Sherwin-Williams Super Paint. (acrylic)

Last summer, we went back over to Vicksburg, for other reasons, but drove down by the flood walls, where the murals are. I could see no discernable fading or discoloration at all. So I figure, if it's good enough for one of the top muralists in the country, it's probably good enough for us.......right?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE are using a lot ot SW SuperPaint and their Resilience line. You cannot get quarts of SuperPaint.

Try using a dark gray 1st coat under Darker color finish coat.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonard Gorsky
Visitor
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard Gorsky       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
latex is more difficult for me to work with, but it seems as if the colors last MUCH longer. any TOP quality latex house paint works.

LATEX

--------------------
leonard gorsky
signcrafters
15178 willow wood lane
530-273-1494
signs@gorsky.org

Posts: 30 | From: Grass Valley, CA 95949 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just going to mention Dan S when I read this but he beat me to it. I remember when he painted in Sterling, IL and now I live 15 min from there. The paint is still so beautiful and he used the acrylic. In Florida, of course the air is different too, but Florida shares some common problems that other parts of the country experiences in paints. I would like to get more familiar with latex and acrylic paints.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another trick I accidentally discovered is that at the paint store, if you ask and know the person at the counter, is to get superpaint or metal latex with no pigment added. They will bitch about the warranty, but if you explain you will be using it to 'blend' they will sell it to you. Then try diluting the color you are trying to blend with and you will be amazed at how well it works. 50% more 'clear' makes the new paint transparent just enough to make blends easy.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have found great longevity using a good grade acrylic house paint for a base and adding the NOVA colors to it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still letter a fair number of vehicles by hand and use 1-Shot to do them, but I'm getting really nervous reading these posts. Is there a better paint choice for vehicle lettering?

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Reusch
Visitor
Member # 8028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Reusch   Email Bill Reusch       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still use one shot or ronan on vehicles and haven't had any problems. I do add hardener though. PPG bought out spraylat recently, maybe they are working on improving One Shot. It would be nice to know.

--------------------
Bill Reusch
Reusch Sign Company
3258 80th. ave.
Knapp, Wis. 54749
715-665-2647

Posts: 83 | From: Knapp, Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Netti, I also favor Nova Paints, seem to do the trick, if you order some, make sure to get some retarder if you want to work on blends, works real good...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, 1-shot is really having problems and has been for some time. Frankly, it just doesn't hold up. Bill has switch over to House of Kolor.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is a large job that doesn't require a lot of detail I'd go with a quality exterior house paint. With Latex paint it is better to thin with a latex extender than water. The latex extender contains bonding agents that surround the pigment particles and will not weaken the structure of the paint. Extenders also increase the drying time and blending ability.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also recommend Nova Colors. I used it on several murals and really like working with it. I also used it on my last "smaller" sign project over latex paint and that is holding up great as well.

One shot fades quickly and I have had serious issues getting Ronan black to stick to anything! Done breathing the fumes...and will continue to use Water based paints!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I use enamel paint, I'm reminded why I hate it so much.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the smell of 1Shot in the morning!

1Shot, Chromatic, Ronan, etc. flowed beautifully off my quills ... and COVERED!

Latex takes 2 or 3 coats to cover.

Unfortunately we are stuck using latex for exterior work because of the Crap in a Can that they are now selling as enamel lettering paint!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Si!

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latex must be brushed/rolled on much thicker to cover.
I did a wall with best grade acryl-paints 15 years ago, still good as new

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a Medium to dark gray first coat on any dark letter it will save you some grief

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the smell of oil paint and turp, too. Makes me feel like myself. I have no emotional attachment to watercolor or acrylics.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Dennis I keep a small open cup of turpentine in my work area just so it will smell like a sign-shop. Ok, it's for my customers and for me to.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Being a messy painter, being able to wash up with water over spirits is a big plus! haha

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How well does cast vinyl stick to latex?

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane, in my experience it sticks fine once you have it on there, but getting it to stick to the latex above the transfer tape can be a pain especially with small letters or details, but once set it seems to hold up okay.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Diane,
The better the paint (avoiding flat in most circumstances, use satin, eggshell, semi-gloss or gloss) combined with a premium vinyl will give you best adhesion. Do not cheap out or you will eat the job. I know from experience.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used all Nova Color on this wall recently.
It was a rough brick wall.
Just like Bob said, I tinted the primer with the background color to make the lettering cover well...

-

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat little trick!

Gets rid of that nasty looking concrete patch!

[ June 21, 2013, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Sweeney
Visitor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Sweeney   Email Patrick Sweeney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years ago I got into a conversation with a commercial rep from Porter Paint about oil based vs latex. He told me all their R&D money goes into improving their latex brands. Because of all the federal regulations they have decided oil based has no long term future. I've used nothing but latex since and couldn't be happier.

--------------------
Patrick Sweeney
Terre Haute, Indiana
Highline Signs

Posts: 40 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll pry my brush loaded with Lead White out of my stiff, cold fingers.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

They'll pry my brush loaded with Lead White out of my stiff, cold fingers.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane, my experience with cast vinyl is that it
sticks best to a flat or satin sheen latex background that has been rolled real smooth with a 3/16" pile roller cover or spray-on finish.

The glossier sheens seem to have more plasticizers
migrating to the surface which makes it difficult to remove the pre-mask. I always test it first by putting masking tape on the latex surface and seeing how well it sticks. I think in time the glossier surfaces become O.K. for vinyl when they cure out a bit.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!