Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Will this work,,,,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will this work,,,,
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this sign  - I'm putting a bid together for. The overall size is about 6 ft x 8t. The lady wants all new acrylic. But I can't get it in one piece. Si if I use 1 4' x 8' and 1 2' x 8' ya think it will stay nice? Should I put a stripe of white transluscent between the pieces? Or am I gonna have to have a sub-out a sign company to place a holding bar between the pieces?
Yep, RJ's didn't make it very long.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would direct the woman on down the road. That job looks like one major headache and will come back to bite you. Just my 2 cents worth.

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, it's a piece of cake. She's having the whole restaurant remodeled. I was going to have her construction team do the actual removing of the old sign and then the replacement of the new signs. Along with them putting up her sign of the front of her building. I am also going to steear her into repainting the post of her post sign along with getting all new matching light bulbs. Chit, I might even repaint the sign post myself if she provides me with a lift. The sign you see her is quite typical of the signs in my area. To try to change the whole sign would be like giving a wild racoon a cold bath. You're just gonna get scratched and bloody, ain't worth it.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, you're going to need a track (holding bar) between the two pieces. It is not a good idea just to sit a 4x8 piece of acrylic on top of a 2x8.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I did faces for a bank when I lived in Florida. If I remember correctly they were about 6' x 10' pan faces. Not that you would get the faces from them but call Freddies Plastics ( if the're still in business ) 813-754-5567 and see if they make large faces . Not that you'll get them there, but maybe some company in your part of the world could help you. Good luck ! I hope area code is current for Plant City FL

--------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, unless things have changed, you should be able to get 6 X 8 acrylic, in one piece. It's going to be very expensive and unwieldy; but like said above, I'd be dubious about sitting the larger face on top of the smaller one.

Also, if you decide to take this road, you need to get exact measurements of the cabinet, and have the faces cut to this size, by the supplier, to prevent the possibility of a stress crack. Actually, for strength purposes, you'd probably be better off to get a couple of pan faces made for it.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen one done similarly- a 4x8 with a 2x8- they fused a 6" strip of the same material across the back seam- it wasn't lighted, so the seam didn't show- the seam was also the strongest part of the whole sign face

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Today I will work on getting a new face for that sign. I may sub out that part of the job.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you design the sign so that the 2x8 panel creates a natural seam, like maybe a reverse copy block. That way the seam wouldn't be so obvious. If you could put the 2x8 at the top instead of the bottom there will be less stress on the seam than the other way around.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't they do molded pan faced signs any more ? just finish one that size & it was pan faced ( The frame was better ) but still can be changed

Lexan pan faced with a good maybe 1-1/2" plus overlap frame

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Craig says: Pan faces ( maybe with embossed copy, too )........Try FACES, they are in Birmingham, AL

http://www.signfaces.com/

Ask for "Bear" and tell him Ricardo, from Oklahoma, sent you.

Good luck.

RD

P.S. --- Once you agree on the price, all you have to do is e-mail him your art work....They will take care of everything....They will even spray paint the faces backwards ( on the inside ) with lacryl paint, crate the faces and send them to your door step, in a very short amount of time.....The sign will look much better, this way.

NOTE: When taking the measurements for the size of the faces....Don't forget to allow, maybe two inches, around each face for THE LIP which will hold each face, in place, on the sign box.....If you do so, when designing the art work, keep in mind that you have eliminated, maybe, two inches around each face.....So, in reality, the size of each face is going to be reduced two inches all the way around each face.

[ June 13, 2013, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pan face is the way to go. This sign most likely had one to begin with. A guy put a 6x8 plex in a box at a car dealership. First big storm....BLOWOUT. 2 sign faces spinning through the air. Damaged 6 brand new 50,000 dollar F250's.

Play it safe. Pan face. You'll need to know copy area, Draft, and Flange measurements. A quick bing search should getcha there on the lingo.

Best Regards.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and you will eliminate the see through bulb lines on the sign. Plex faces sit 2 inches closer to the bulbs in a pan face sign than originally intended.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I was trying to get at, above, Alicia. RJ's took the cheapo way (and most dangerous way out).

The sign probably looked like crap, when lit at nite. The can appears to be pretty narrow, and like Ricardo and mike said, probably had pan faces originally.

Don't know about there, but south, closer to the coast, the codes mandate pan faces with embossed letters......much stronger and safer. You don't want the liability.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mexican restaurant next door has a heckuva sign system going on there ... maybe you should talk to them after the job is done!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Mike, in our town, the Mexican restaurant is a fine example of the local "Sign Systems" up and down the boulevard. Pole sign with two changeable copy signs, banner poorly placed and the free beer flags, gonna knock em' dead. Not to mention the beautiful landscaping up and down the sidewalks (Weeds) Actually, the tall weeds hide the beer cans tossed out of people's windows. "It's a lovely day in the neighborhood"

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,

The pan faces do sound good, I did a sign that was two pieces and welded a clear piece of acrylic 6" or so wide across the seam of two pieces. Then added a hanger bar and screwed the face to the cabinet.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In view of "the sign system", in that neighborhood, I'll bet you could, also, kick ass with one sheet of 1/2 x 4' x 8' MDO, on each side.....if the owner of the business does not care about having internal illumination for the sign.....Then, you could join a 2' x 8' panel ( on each side ), under the 4' x 8', for the interchangeable letters section......I have done it and it works, especially, for people who don't want internal illumination.

RD

P.S. -- On looking, again, the truth is that the sign box looks kinda narrow ( in depth )and it seems that it does not create too much distance from the lamps to the face of the sign.....Thus, you might run into trouble, if you choose to use flat plexiglass faces.....It may allow the ghost of the lamps to be seen through the faces.

[ June 14, 2013, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Hey, screw a banner on that sucker and call it a flex face. There ya go.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious why do you use a flat piece of Lexan

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Got the measurement today,,6ft x 8ft. Gonna get a big old slice of polycarbinite.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Hey Alicia, I hope you're not going to be using a flat face; but if you are......since it's lexan, run a couple of stainless sheet metal screws through the top and bottom retainers, faces, and into the cabinet. This will help hold the faces in, in case of a big "blow".

And make sure those faces are 1/2 inch or so under your stated measurements. You don't want to be having to fight faces that big.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!