Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Red and White Oak outdoor dimensional Sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red and White Oak outdoor dimensional Sign
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a RFQ on signs for outdoor use that specs Red and White Oak for the substrate. I'm in the northeast and am wondering if this is a good choice/idea? The spec is for 1 1/2" thick variable sizes V-routed letters.

So is Oak alright to use?

Also these signs say stained Brown background with white reflective painted letters. Has anyone tried the rustolium reflective coating?

TIA

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red and white oak? That's a new one for me. Where are the signs going?

I don't see an issue with it - if they're properly prepared. However, based upon experience, I would prefer redwood, cedar or even HDU because I know these substrates will last quite a long time.

Can't help ya with the reflective paint though. I never tried it yet.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonard Gorsky
Visitor
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard Gorsky       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oak weathers poorly. very poorly. the RFQ has no clue.

--------------------
leonard gorsky
signcrafters
15178 willow wood lane
530-273-1494
signs@gorsky.org

Posts: 30 | From: Grass Valley, CA 95949 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would advise against oak also.

Oak is a finicky wood for something like that. It has a very coarse grain that moves with the weather.

It would also be tough to work the carved letters to a smooth finish.

Redwood if they 'have' to have wood, otherwise, HDU all the way.

Best of luck,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For outdoors, I use redwood or cedar; preferably redwood. Red or white oak are great for indoors.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you "must" use oak, use quarter sawn white oak.

You will get much smoother cut with white.

I'm with everyone else on this choice of substraight for outdoors. However you mount this, you will have to allow for contraction and expansion across the width of the board or it will surly crack.

Silver (aluminum) leaf might be a good choice rather than a reflective white?

Just some of my thoughts.....

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are the specs. from a Government agency. They say red or white aok and reflective white painted with glass bead!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried that reflective paint a few years ago. Had very poor results. You might want to try finding some kind of traffic paint that's reflective.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red oak, no. White oak, yes.
They use white oak for fence posts in some places & as Joe said, quarter sawn is the most stable.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might expect that these type of specs would come from a government agency. "We're here to help" is ringing in my ears.

My first impression is, " Give 'em what they want."

But I have to go with the others, that their specs are not going to produce good, lasting results.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonard Gorsky
Visitor
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard Gorsky       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glass beads on one shot/bulletin has worked for me. while paint is wet, the beads are applied. you will have to try a few application methods to see which you find comfortable. i just pour and spread the beads covering all paint surfaces and shake off the excess. if you must 'give them what they want,' i agree. white oak is the choice. hard to find here in ca. should be easier in new england.

--------------------
leonard gorsky
signcrafters
15178 willow wood lane
530-273-1494
signs@gorsky.org

Posts: 30 | From: Grass Valley, CA 95949 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!