Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Silk Screen Build/Burn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silk Screen Build/Burn
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a customer who needs about 200 24"x32" MDO signs. Very simple copy (No Parking etc), 1 color. I think the best way to do them would be to sik screen them. I haven't done any silk screening since my days at LATTC, but I still remember the basics. The only thing I don't want to do is burn the sreen. I thought of finding someone online, but since I have access to all of you's, maybe you can or can recomend someone who can burn a screen for me. And remember, I live near Seattle, Wa. The closer, the better.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3816 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use a film you can cut on you plotter! Water based for enamels. I used to use a service, they made up screens as well as doing the film positives. There must be someone local in Seattle. They made wood and metal frames and your choice of mesh. Good luck with that.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,

I assume you have a plotter and you're using enamels. Cut a stencil out of vinyl in reverse and apply it to the back of the screen. Use ordinary masking tape to block out the rest of the screen. The adhesive from the vinyl is enough to hold everything in place. I've done this several times and it works well.

If you prefer to burn a screen, just take a screen to your local t-shirt screen printer and have them to coat and burn the screen for you.

Another option is that if you don't have the screen either, contact your nearest screen print supplier. Often, they will coat and burn a screen for you as well as sell you the screen.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,

This company (www.firesprint.com. 888-509-7446) may be able to help you, I do not know if they sell screens but they do wholesale screen printed signs!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ruby Lith silkscreen masking film.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a Ulano sta-sharp green man myself (hand cut).
I am thinking that a run of 200 may give a "vinyl" stencil a hard time there, Glenn.
But I would defer to your experience never having tried that.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just a very lazy person and I work very hard at it.

If I use a vinyl stencil, I always use cast vinyl. The chemicals in the ink tend to cause calendared vinyl to pull at the edges.

Believe it or not, a paper stencil will work for short runs. The textile industry uses them for screen printing all of the time. I've printed a couple hundred shirts that way without any issues. Its the ink that causes the stencil to remain adhered to screen. The same goes with using a cast vinyl stencil. If you're using a synthetic enamel or all-purpose ink, using a vinyl stencil will work just fine. I normally use a 200 mesh and a sharp 70 durometer squeegee.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!