Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » need advice on a spray gun

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need advice on a spray gun
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I have painted signs with a roller for many years so this may seem like an odd request. I have been trying to use more latex acrylic paints since the 1-shot enamels are not holding up like they used to. I have been able to get a fairly smooth coat with acrylic by using Floetrol additive and working the foam roller back and forth again and again. It takes a lot longer than oil-based paint but it's passable.

I hear that many of you have gone to spraying your boards with a HVLP gun to get a smooth coat with acrylic paints. I never bought one for some silly reason since the foam roller acheived the finish I wanted.

Are their any type of spray guns that I should stay away from? Which ones work best and how much will I be spending? How much PSI do you use and is overspray a problem? Will I need to build a booth or need other equipment?

I would like to get a smooth finish coat with the latex acrylic paints so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HVLP wont do LATEX. these are more for automotive paint. that is another option you may want to try. i been painting board and panels with AUTOMOTIVE PAINT acrylic enamel, for years. long lasting and usually will out last the vinyl.
SPRAYING LATEX:
airless works best for big jobs. for panels and boards your better off with this:
https://www.google.com/#q=wagner+electric+paint+sprayer&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=OyAjUbWNCcLKqgH_s4CwCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGUQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=487415ce1385398 0&biw=1794&bih=778

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen quite a few posts from people using HVLP to spray latex...but you have to do your homework, to get a tip size large enough to do the job.
Joe's probably right, airless may do a better job. It's just more mess and hassle.

Bottom line, I don't know of a real simple,clean solution to spraying latex....and yes, you will have overspray.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Humphreville
Visitor
Member # 4762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Humphreville   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Humphreville       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are switching to waterbased paint from gloss enamels. We have been using the benjamin moore aura. I have sprayed latex in the past and didn't really like it but this stuff is great I can spray it basically unthinned and it lays down flat. We are just using one of the harbor freight gravity feed hvlp guns I think you can pick them up around $10-15 on sale. Yes there is over spray, if you have not sprayed before you will need to set up some kind of booth with ventilation.

--------------------
Eric
PA

Posts: 149 | From: Intercourse, PA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spray latex all the time and get nearly glass-smooth finishes, All of this was shot with a cheap Harbor Freight gravity feed HVLP gun.  -

[ February 19, 2013, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the gun. It comes with a 1.4 mm tip which works great for spraying thinned latex but I also ordered the optional 2.2mm tip which I use for spraying Coastal Enterprises FSC88 water based primer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-66222.html

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Wayne. I couldn't remember the tip size for latex, but knew it was over 2.0.

Incidentally, if you're looking for "a little better" than Harbor Freight, try
www.spraygunworld.com

They have a big selection of guns, sets, tips,etc. and are pretty reasonable in pricing on a lot of stuff. Some of those cheap guns don't allow you to change tips, or don't offer big enough tips for latex; so watch out for that.

And thanks Eric, for the tip on Benj-Moore!

[ February 20, 2013, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, what pressure do you set the regulator to? Do you set it when the trigger is drawn or idle? Do you thin the paint to a consistency like you would with enamel? Does it go on in a thick coat or a series of mists?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Fuji turbine type HVLP, with a gravity feed canister that holds about a coffee-cup full of paint. It cost me about $500 & I love it.
I'm not so concerned about the perfectly smooth finish ..... I don't mind it having a little texture since I mostly use it on dimensional signs anyway.

I have better finishes with Wagner Paint Easy than with Floetrol, & it works better as a flow enhancer if you're using a WB quill.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

I'll second that on the Wagner Paint easy....good stuff.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!