Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How would you do this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How would you do this?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this back in 2004(my how time flies)by laminating two thicknesses of 1.5" 15# HDU and then roughing out the shape with a coarse wood rasp. I then sanded it smooth, painted it green, then sandblasted the "ocean". The 'cross' is two pieces of HDU sandblasted through my home-made grain frame and lap jointed together. The "spikes" are HDU and the "blood" is epoxy with a little lettering enamel mixed in. The clients have since given both pieces to another church and want even larger ones to replace them.  -  -

They have since remodeled the sanctuary and want the new ones to match but, this time they want the 'ocean' smooth.I thought about making a 3D model in Aspire, then letting the router cut it all. But it seems like it would be easier to get it glass-smooth by doing it the old way and an adding appliques. How would you do it?
 -

[ February 07, 2013, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would order a globe shape from Gemini. I would paint it and use layers of sandblast mask for the continent shapes.

Just the first thought that came to my feeble little signman brain...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting idea.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess my first question would be 'how big is what they're wanting'?

The Gemini idea is good, but how big can they make, or how costly would it be?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

The first ones I did were 3' diameter, 3" thick. The new ones will be 4' diameter and 3" thick

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would let the router cut most of it, then come back and "finish" it by hand- unless you liked the other process...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would still do it in pieces, though

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

OK.....
Am I reading it right? The software estimates 44 HOURS and 28 minutes cutting time with a .5'' roundnose bit at a feed rate of 100 in/min? That's over 4.2 miles of tool path. I could cut it faster by hand.
 -

[ February 12, 2013, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your stepover? If you make it bigger then the cutting time will decline. Make it too big and you are in for a LOT of sanding.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Stepover was .04 I think. I reset it to .125 then rest the feed rate to 250 ipm and it reduced the time to 2 hours 58 minuteds

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!