Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Wind sock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wind sock
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend that needs lettering on a wind sock.
Pretty sure they are normally printed with dye sub or screened?

I know there's companies that make the, but hate to order out for just one.

Haven't seen it yet, but he already has a blank wind sock. Aren't they usually nylon?

What I have:
1) Roland printer and printable heat press material.
(might stiffen the wind sock so it won't fly?)
2) Paint mask (maybe a few light coats of color?)
3) Cad cut vinyl (probably too heavy?)
4) Cast vinyl (too heavy, might not stay on?)

Think any of these would work?
If not, could it be screenprinted?

Thanks,
Tony

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Wood
Visitor
Member # 14058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#2 is the easiest. Thats what I use on logoed flags. Laying out the mask might be a bit of a challange due to the shape of the 'sock'! Keep us posted. Russ

--------------------
Russ Wood
Hobby-Tronics
Chiloquin, OR

Posts: 13 | From: Chiloquin Oregon | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply Russ.
What paint did you use..krylon fusion?

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) is a pain in the butt- you will have to use a heat press material that is made for nylon, then risk melting the nylon when you try to apply it correctly- I did a bunch of 1 off nylon banners and it was tricky to make them work right- the vinyl is kinda stiff as well

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Michael...I can just picture trying to fly a blob of nylon [Smile]
Might just pass on this one, not worth the trouble.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is "Good luck in trying to get paint to stick on nylon!"

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had to put a fair amount of sail numbers on wind boards and sailboats and I have done them with "Insignia cloth" The sails are folded down and put in the boot cover so that tells you how crushed up they get and yet put back up to full sail and never had a problem.

http://www.sailrite.com/Insignia-Adhesive-Backed-Black-54

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've cut a mask with what we call 'sailmask' here-its'a very high tack sign mask, not unlike sandblast mask, but much thinner.

Then airbrushed with vinyl screen lacquer inks.

That worked on nylon.

(Ordinary sign mask did not have enough tack to stick to it, because of the weave.)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Sam says. I've used the stuff on flags, sails and those stupid pop up tents. Cut it slow with allot of pressure and use the tackiest pre-mask that you can find. I've actually used bumper sticker vinyl as a mask on this stuff.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, I use 6" clear cellophane tape as my premask for this and my sandblast rubber.

[ January 10, 2013, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Sam Staffan ]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know what does work. First call for it in 19 years.

I will keep the insignia cloth in mind for the next job, if it's more than one copy.
This time it's not worth ordering the material.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Tony, I understand and this has happened to me on several occasions where I needed a onetime product. My solution,.....I call the supplier and I find out who they have sold there product to, get a number and then contact them to see if they will sell me the job or the amount needed for the job depending on the product.

I get the job and I do not have left over product I may never need again.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked the stuff up - only 20 bucks a yard x 54 inches. And they sell by the yard.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!