Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » A serious question? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A serious question?
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is no secret that I retired from the sign business 5 years ago.

It is also no secret that a lot of folks would love to die with their brushes in their hands.

Is the love of the business so strong that retirement is not an option?

Or is it a lack of business acumen that prevents it?

Or is it a fear of not knowing to do with all the extra time?

This is a truly serious question.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retirement sounds like sloth to me. I need to feel active and accomplishing something most of the time. My father died with his first Social Security check in his pocket right after he retired and he was only 7 months older than I am now! When I have no work and the weather is too harsh to go splash windows, I usually work on my landscapes. Must be why I have 337 of them for sale right now.

I have been lucky enough to make a great living for the past 24 years, doing window splashes. I had a couple of worthy detours along the way, but basically it was mostly windows. A zillion hand lettered splashes and windshields. It pays for my lavish life style and supports my real effort in painting.

Once I get the last of my details handled like selling my house and gathering up my leftover belongings, I will move to Santa Fe and begin anew as a gallery owner. There are 6000 artists in that market and the art energy is profound and envigorating. Time to start selling off my paintings and make some more. Will it be less work than what I am doing now? No way. It will be RETAIL and will eat time. At least it will be finally time to get to do something closer to what I have wanted to do all of my life. Assuming it is profitable, it should free me up to no longer be tied to feeling like I am getting 'ready to get ready'.

OK. My older sister is retiring now from a 45 year career being a professor in NY. I bet in a year she will be crawling the walls, bored and moving to Santa Fe to either help me or maybe just make art.

Retiremnt sounds to me like the synonym for apathy, not to slam anyone who feels differently. We all have our own axe to grind, so I plan to work at doing something I love more and I certainly have loved slinging paint on winders much more than running a giant Chevy store!

Die with my brush in my hand? I hope so. Fear of not knowing what to do with my extra time? What extra time? Lack of business acumen? Been down that road for all but three years of my adult life, self employed, so I have to think I accumulated some acumen. It will be a metamorphisis for me and a fun one at that....and Dave, I have always loved your comments. Come see me in Santa Fe sometime soon! Might put you to work.

[ January 07, 2013, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Preston McCall ]

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, for me, at least, it's not a love of the business, it's a love of the art that will keep me, God willing, hanging onto a Brush until they pry my cold, stained hand off said brush, and they damn well better double rinse that brush and oil it too! This Sept. will mark 50 years behind a Brush...I keep on because I enjoy it, sometimes it's panels, traded, sold, or working on TV/Movies, or whatever project I get involved in. This leaves time for travel, last Sept, in Eastern Europe...this March/April in Japan, Meets when I can get to them.
I worked with a great signwriter years ago, when he sold his shop and retired, he never touched a brush again. Each to his own. If I was living in your town, Dave, i';m sure i'd have a little studio to paint in...Sign Painting has always been more than Work to me...altho that attitude hasn't Always worked in my favour! ;o)
Check out the new book from Faythe Levine & Sam Macon...the Spirit is in those pages...

John
...all that said, i bet it's not cold and raining down your way! ;o)))

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I'll likely keep working as long as I'm healthy enough to do so. I enjoy almost every part of the business, although at some point in time I'd like to slow down.

I can't imagine getting up in the morning not knowing what I'll do that day. I like to drive, but I enjoy it less every year & the day is long gone when I thought nothing of driving from here to New York city & back in a day ( 900 miles) .

I suspect I wouldn't last long after retirement. I don't deal well with boredom, & there's not likely enough scotch in the Outer Hebrides to keep me "unbored". I certainly don't want to spend my last few years in front of a television.

The " snowbird" thing isn't for me either. I get a bit annoyed with winter, but I find anything above 80*F oppressive. I've often thought that if I could afford it, I'd spend my summers in Dawson City & come back here ( I'm in the Land O' Lakes, north of Kingston ON) for the rest of the year.
I like the 20+ hours of daylight. Maybe someday ......

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave, i have to put it this way. those who came into this world of signs/art wit the advent of the computer MOST of them, like you did, come to the business as a BUSINESS. as in most business you do hang it up and retire.
those of us who got here because of being able to draw, paint, and who just have this drive to make/draw/create/design stuff with our hands and most comes out of our brain, is not something you can just say at 65, ok NEVERMORE.
as long as those of us who are like this, we will be in the business of making SOMETHING))))
i like preston, john, and lot of brush people can do paintings. john deaton does caractures, bill ridel does portraits, kathy joiner is now exhibiting her oil paintings, me iam doing pottery AT 67..........
i can honestly say i have had "jobs"!!! even while i was doing those "JOB'S, i was drawning, painting, creating & designing in one way or another.
i like john, preston, didnt come into this line of work, as a "job", but more of doing what we enjoy doing to spend our lives ....doing what we enjoy doing.
prying the brush from my cold dead hand? maybe. you might find me face down in a pile of clay))))
BUT, i know i will continue doing what i enjoy, untill the body, hands or eyes wont function. when that happens i may as well be dead.
tomarrow i have to go look at a sign job, yes i still make signs. do i need the money? NO, do i need to work? NO, I JUST ENJOY WHAT I DO!!!!.....among the other stuff i ENJOY that i do.

[ January 07, 2013, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife accuses me of retiring in 1987, when I started this business.

I do what I enjoy doing, when I want to do it, and make some decent money at the same time.

IF I wake up some day and think "I don't enjoy this anymore" then I will quit, but I will probably start doing something else.

There are many other things that I enjoy doing, and I do them now, but I eenjoy this more, so I do this more often.
As long as I continue to look forward to coming to "work" every day, I will continue "working"

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, the answer in my case would be "all of the above".

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What george said! [Smile]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun! < this says it all

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many of us have a lot in common when it comes to how we feel about our work and retiring. For most of my life, to be able to retire was out of the question. It was impossible to save up for it with five children and a wife who was disabled for over 30 years. When watching others retire and either sat on the porch and passed away in a short time, could not get used to spending all the time with the wife. I did not feel too bad, there was wood carving, painting, skiing, golf and traveling.
My vacations were and still are Letterheads, Walldogs and enjoying the company of all the friends from all over. To be idle is unhappy time for me.
The best lesson learned while painting signs is that there is almost nothing that I am incapable of doing without a formal education. The joy of being able to do whatever I set out to do is the most rewarding feeling of all.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda have to agree with George on the "all of the above" thing.
Like Don said, I've never really considered the sign business a job, so much, as a labor of love. Of course, some jobs, you love more than others; that's a given.
I was one of those who didn't adequately prepare for retirement. I was working away, doing my thing, and one day "65" popped up, and said "Here I am!"....without my knowing about it.
I do have some retirement, but work when I want to, to cover expenses. We have many other activities to fill in our "spare time", whatever that is.....
I've had several instances, of friends or acquaintenances, who couldn't wait to retire....and passed away, a year or less after doing so. I psychologist friend told me, that over the many years of a routine-type job conditions the body. The drastic change in lifestyle, brought about by retirement, can cause traumatic events.

I've had enough of "them" in recent years; so I'm perfectly content, to go on, as is.

[ January 07, 2013, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being creative feeds my soul more than the thought of sitting around watching birds while supporting third world economies.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started as a sign painter at 11. Have worked most of my life in the sign business and went into the computer age kicking and screaming. Computer driven technology has come to intrigue me no end. it also gives me a chance to work on my watercolors after letting the machines do the dollar driven stuff. I have called my own shots all my life and why would I retire? To do what? I need the energy of creating to keep me going. I will be 72 on Sunday and hope to work until I am 100+. Hope you all can come to my funeral.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave- I, along with many others here, really are happy for you and Shirl and your ability to be able to do what you do- don't take any of the responses in a negative way- the truth is everybody is different and have different goals- for many, a good retirement (or any money put back) is simply not possible- for others, it may lean more towards not feeling productive, so the thought of "hanging it up" doesn't sound appealing. I have a feeling it may be a combination of both by the time I get to that age...

On a past trip to the beach, I remember sitting by the surf on beautiful white sand- a gentle breeze blowing off the water, the waves lit up by the moonlight-- it would not have taken much more for me to become a beach bum right then and there!

My son and I are headed to Miami next week- hmmm, let's see: 30/40 degrees here in Arkansas or 75/79 degrees and sunny... to me anything below 70 is cold- I can cool off much easier than I can warm up!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the honest and obviously heartfelt replies guys.

For us retirement doesn't mean "doing nothing". (THAT would be way boring!) It just means doing what we choose to do when we choose to do it.

When I was working, the whole concept of volunteering was something I couldn't understand. Now we do volunteer our time, energy, money and our vehicle to assist poorer folks in the area where we live in the winter.

Since we don't live in a retirement home or a gated community situation there is always something that needs doing. Now we have the time to get those little projects done, but on our own schedule.

I think OP hit the nail on the head when he said that those of us who entered the sign business with the advent of computer technology tend to treat it more as a "business" rather than a "love".

I can understand both points of view.

For me, after languishing in business for many years, (day to day living), the sign making business was a bright new start. I vowed to make the most of it and it treated me well. And I DID love it!

I wish I could say I loved every day that I was in the business, but that would be a lie. However, I believe I woke up 99% of the mornings looking forward to getting to "work" on whatever project was coming up.

Todd...Yes, I watch many birds while I am having coffee in the morning, while wearing shorts and a T-shirt in January. Beats waking up to a driveway full of snow, doning a snowmobile suit and blowing snow just to get out of the driveway!!! [Wink]

As far as supporting a third world economy is concerned. I am happy that they allow us to live here. As of next Sept. we will be qualified for and will be applying for Mexican immigrant status. I feel no shame in that at all.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Although, I have been a sign painter for well over 45 years and I am retired, now, I respect everyone's reason for retiring or staying with the brush, until they drop......In my case, I chose to retire last year. I am 75 yrs. old.

For the first time, since you have been writing here,about your retirement, I have to agree with you, as well as with the rest who posted here......except one. Unfortunately, there will,always, be an AH who pops up with a condescending "smart ass" and cruel remark, just to frikin hurt those who have found their happiness by means of whatever decisions they have made to obtain it.

Dave, I wish you, and your wife, the best in your retirement......Enjoy and do not allow anyone else to drive your bus.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had the option to not draw in a wage, I'd totally choose retirement so I could play to my heart's content. But I wouldn't be playing anywhere near a vinyl cutter, that is for certain.

OP makes a good point. If you don't LOVE it, you won't want to do it. If you do, that love becomes your hobby. Getting paid is icing on the cake.

For the record? I'll never stop blogging or writing. Never. EVER. Even if I was a trillionaire. A person has to do something and I find it much more fulfilling to create than most anything else.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your comments Ricardo..I have never let anyone else drive my bus!! [Big Grin]

I have always remembered a stupid little rhyme that a friend wrote in my grade 8 yearbook..."Love many, trust few, but always paddle your own canoe". Way back then I thought it was kinda profound...and, now, at age 68 I realise just how truly profound it was!!

Donna, like OP, I think you also hit the nail on the head! Relieved of the need to "earn a living", why not retire and do what you wish to do on your own schedule? I know you are not retired yet Donna, but I have the feeling that you consider yourself to be there already?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If, you have never known the brush, or not realized
that the machines did not take over the (sign trade),
which will always exist as a (trade). Then the question is moot. Retirement from business, is not
to be confused with retiring from any trade.
retiring from a trade is an honor...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I last worked when I was twenty-three years old. It's the last time I punched someone else's clock. Since then I've done what I loved. From time to time we've made adjustments, changed directions, moved to different locations, or slightly changed what we are doing - all in the interest of keeping things interesting, keeping us focused on what I love most.

Retire? Not likely. But as time goes on and the need for big income diminishes I hopefully will be smart enough to slow down some. Doing so will also allow us to be more selective and do more creative work all the time.

Along the way I do my best to smell the flowers along the way. Phoebe is my best teacher.

As Sam says... we all need to drive our own bus.

-grampa dan

[ January 08, 2013, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricardo, some of the best years I had were when I was supporting a third world economy in Mexico (actually it felt like they were supporting me).
I've been drawing and painting since I was a little kid and will do so until my eyes or hands give out. If I did have to quit art, I would welcome the chance to have, at long last, some time for reading, writing, traveling, making stuff, learning a musical instrument, playing pool, or all the other things I've never had enough time for.
I cant imagine being bored.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Dennis,

Some of my best years,( 1958-1968 )were when I lived in Venezuela......of course, long before Mr. Chavez came into the scene.....I truly believe, to this date,that they were the ones supporting me, by accepting me, as a foreigner, and allowing me, during my stay in that country, to make a very decent living, live wherever I chose, have whatever I wanted ( as long as I could afford it ), etc..........In other words, I was, always, driving my own bus.

I even married a girl from Maracaibo, with whom I have three children......I really enjoyed living in that country, during those years.

Like I said, life was much simpler and different, then....Now, it would be kinda dangerous to live in Venezuela, because of the present political turmoil.......Otherwise, it would be a great place to live. It's a beautiful country.

Besides, it was a hell of a learning experience, for me, because I was able to travel throughout most of the country and live among great people.

RD

[ January 08, 2013, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies, Dave.... I think my attempt at sarcastic humor came off as 'mean'... which I did not intend. Sometimes it works; apparently did not here. :-(

Please accept my apology....

My poorly worded message was: I enjoy the creative process and like many other's here, will probably continue to keep myself involved as long as the Good Lord allows me, and as long as it provides a good 'measure of pleasure.'

That said, I am certain I will scale back at some point to a good balance of retirement and creative work... to me, that would be the best way to spend my golden years: Enjoying the leisure aspects of life plus the personal gratification of seeing something culminate from 'thought' to 'reality.'

Enjoy your day! :-)

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I get bored towards the second week of my vacations, cant see retirement being any different. I had eleven days break this xmas with the option to spend two days in the middle lettering some trucks. I was happy to do the two days because once again, I was getting a little bored. Probably makes me a saddo

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Kevin - I'm like that too.... get a little fidgety if my mind doesn't have something creative to work on.

I think I would do well in retirement when that times comes though... because I get into home improvement, landscaping, and have all kinds of other hobbies and things to do... so I believe I could make a good time of it with a balanced mix of creative outlets.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd...I wasn't going to mention this but since you're handing out apologies today I would just like to mention that I am an enthusiastic bird watcher and was somewhat offended by your derogatory remark about "watching birds"...however my initial anger subsided today after spotting the giant Pileated Woodpecker in the front yard and a frenetic diminutive Ruby Crowned Kinglet visiting our feeder on the back porch...at which time I became so excited that I even decided not to report your insensitive remark to PETA.

[ January 08, 2013, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

No problem Todd....Thanks

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely I'm not the only one here who appreciates Todd's sarcastic tongue in cheek humor...or maybe Todd and I are just 2 peas in a pod that understand each others knack for having a little fun...I say no harm no foul...play ball.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm not retired yet. Still paying bills. But once the big ones are gone, it's just day to day living expenses. That is when I think I'll have time to write. Books in the works is my retirement plan. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

This is a good thread.... it forces the reader to bring to mind why we do what we do, and makes us question future plans and goals.

And it also brings in mind (for me) to enjoy each day in and of itself, regardless being retired or working. Because, the bottom line is that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Crisis and life events is an equal opportunity provider which doesn't discriminate between rich and poor, old and young.

Elation and disappointment can each be realized within the movement of one second to the next.

So, I say - plot and plan, be productive and enjoy, and thank the Good Lord for the blessings of each day.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Rusty - My inlaws called me about 3 weeks ago and said 'their' pileated woodpecker was back in the edge of their woods.

I rushed around the corner (they live just around the other side of their property from me) with my camera... which took all of 3 minutes... and when I arrived the elusive Woody Woodpecker was already gone.

My Mother-in-Law says that they are drawn to dead trees. Is there another way to lure them in?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stand still........hehehehehehehhehe

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see myself retiring. I would liket to do some traveling, but I hope to be able to keep raising my critters, making signs and playing music until I'm 90.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/182310_531978263481095_843700703_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560953_493321900680065_840050502_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534785_472100302802225_327815512_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p206x206/534867_472057362806519_240934466_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/541846_10151350225500709_746565422_n.jpg

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

i also never got that "retirement thing."i was 30 when i left the cold, snowy, freezing north and headed south to florida. i basically retired THEN))))
the way i saw it, once i got here, i was on the beach, looking at all the scantily clad young women and even enjoying manys company........and i was seeing these old gray haired/bald fat RETIRED GUYS, looking was ALL THEY COULD DO)))))))) AND i knew when i got to their age, I DIDNT WANT TO BE THEM)))))
working at this age, doing what i do......IS KEEPING ME ALIVE))))

[ January 09, 2013, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor]
quote:
and i was seeing these old gray haired/bald fat RETIRED GUYS,
[Rolling On The Floor]

The strange thing is, Joe, most of our friends here in Mexico are not as you mention.

"Grey haired/balding and retired".. yes...Those are things that happen as we age...

But not "old acting nor fat". We eat healthy, walk regularly (Jogging is out for me") I am maintaining my weight at 185 pounds at a height of 6'2".

I still schlep 100 pound bags of rice and beans into and out of our SUV to help at the local foodbank. I do it slower and more carefully than I would have 20 years ago though!!! [Wink]

The folks you describe are the "tourists" who arrive on the cruise ships for a day here!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

We all make of life what we desire. For you it may be pottery, for others it is something different. I still offer my services with CorelDraw to various charitible organizations.

Life is good here, and I truly mean it when I say, I hope life is good for you too! [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to add this Joe!!! [Smile]

As you say, you were 30 years old and moved to Florida. Those old farts you remember were probably the same age as you are today!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

gee ...you figured that out huh)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't figured out those who think retirement means sitting around doing nothing. For me it is going to mean the freedom to create simply for the joy of creation, no deadlines, no restrictions, no boundaries. I'll have to live to 200 to do all the things I would love to do and I hope I never stop learning. While I love my job, I think I'm going to love being jobless even more!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

quote:
While I love my job, I think I'm going to love being jobless even more!
My thinking too Kelly!!

After talking to a good friend yesterday and discussing how we could arrange a particular project, we offered to do the project in her absence.

Today, it occured to us that we could all reschedule from Monday back to Sunday and it would work out for everyone.

No timeline schedules when we are older!!! [Smile]

Just takes us a few hours to juggle our busy schedules!!! [Rolling On The Floor]

(And NO, I am not looking forward to shlepping those 100 pound bags of rice and beans on Sunday either!!! [Roll Eyes] But we'll get it done!)

For anyone interested, here is a pic of the volunteers at the Chicxulub Food Bank in December

-

And the main website for the Chicxulub Food Bank

Chicxulub Food Bank

SPECIAL THANKS to the ever generous Sonny Franks for handing Shirl and I the "Loose Cannons" T-Shirts, we still wear them with pride my friend!

[ January 11, 2013, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful photo Dave! Lookin' good!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously looking at "semi retirement" now.

Shop running well, steady core of employees, succession planning all worked out... time for me to learn to live without the treadmill.

Just rented a condo in Montreal for a year, figure I'd try it before buying in.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!