Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Designing a Resume

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Designing a Resume
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our oldest son in applying for a package design job. He's been a designer for another sign company for about 10 years and is looking at a new job. Question is what is the "look" for todays resume and how do you present your portfolio? This is any upper end company he's applying at so he wants to look sharp. At this stage he is only applying, not interviewing, and he is out of state, so we werent sure he should just do cd, or hard copies until the interview..anyone know what todays design firms are looking for?

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Design the resume as a unique package design that contains a printed and digital portfolio.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely mail something. Its much harder to ignore and easier to reference quickly than the 100 other email applicants. I like it when I get a personal email from an applicant, letting me know to expect something via mail.

Then do something unique. Find out something about the firm, the principals, and build on it. On our employment page we kind of spell some of that out, but being different, and unique all say that he can think outside of the box. We typically get about 100 applicants for a design position, so being noticed is very important.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a portfolio, I highly recommend this book:
http://www.underconsideration.com/flaunt/

The book interviews design firms who look at resumes and portfolios and they tell their preferences and turn-offs.

On a resume, I found these interesting though they are templates and can be difficult to navigate, they "look" great, I would not use their service, but they have some great ideas.
http://pinterest.com/source/creative-resume-templates.com/

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!