Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Gold leaf question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gold leaf question
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black walnut for a desk plaque

#1Sand smooth

#2 Tack rag it

#3 Spray with 3 coats Minwax Fast dry urethane, clear satin

#4 Apply Oracal Oramask 810

#5 V-route through the mask (on the pea shooter)

#6 Spray letters with 2 coats of satin urethane

#7 Apply 23kt gold, using the sprayed on urethane as a size and Remove mask....

Will it work?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not recommend it!

Urethanes have a good but brittle bond and the gold will eventually pop off.

PLUS:

If applied too soon, it will drown in the urethane

if applied too late, it will not stick.

Use a real gold size!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will LeFranc slow size stick to the urethane? or should I prime with something else?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it will but scuff first. (scuff between all coats) I would use a high build primer in the letters first to fill those big pores in the black walnut.

Before I gild, I use a flat hand sander over the mask to break the bond between the mask and letters.......otherwise, when you remove the mask you just might pull up some of the urethan in the letters along with the gold......not pretty.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend not using a really pointy cutter, like 45 or even 90 degrees, but a flatter one, like 120 degrees total angle.
The flatter it is, the easier it is to get the gold right down into the Vee, and also the flatter it is, the better it reflects the light back out and the nicer and lighter the letters look.

I've seen, and done gilded vee letters where a 90 degree (or some call it 45 deg) cutter is used, and the shadowing effect from the angle & depth is a bit too prominent for my liking, aside from being a bit harder to gild.

Hope that helps-or did you know that already?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si is correct about the Urethane

LeFranc will work best, let it set up about 16 hours, and have a tester to the side.

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Size, remove mask and then gild [Cool]
This of course requiers that the paint/clear is nonstick, either fully hardned, matte paint or buffed.
Clearing gold schould be done with shell-lack

[ December 07, 2012, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: stein Saether ]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great info everyone!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second, or third, or wherever I am in the queue on using real size. I've experimented with taking the shortcut of using the varnish and it's just not worth it. The window is unpredictable and short and adhesion isn't assured.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im gonna disagree on LeFranc..just my opinion
I like Rolco............
I have ordered routed signs from wholesaler and gilded them myself...

they finish a blank
then mask and route
then spray routed letters with 2 part primer...
leave the mask on till letters are sized....
peel mask as soon as sizing is done
then wait till proper tack is achieved
finally..gild it
works great

[ December 08, 2012, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Michael Boone ]

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian is absolutly right...gilded incised carving needs to be shallow...gold needs light and .....less is more.

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option regarding size is Luco. It's available in 4 oz containers so you won't have it sitting on your shelf if you don't do much gold. I've used it for years, works great. In a recent discussion on a pinstripers board, Luco was suprisingly the favored size over Rolco and LeFranc ( which never seemed to work correctly for me ).
Oh, and I agree with everybody else, use the real size, shortcuts never seem to work.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As they say, size matters.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"shortcuts never seem to work"
unless....
[Wink]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

"Yes it will but scuff first. (scuff between all coats) I would use a high build primer in the letters first to fill those big pores in the black walnut.
Before I gild, I use a flat hand sander over the mask to break the bond between the mask and letters.......otherwise, when you remove the mask you just might pull up some of the urethan in the letters along with the gold......not pretty.
Joe,"
TNX, Ill try THAT!

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only substitute for size that has worked for me so far is PB resin epoxy, but it will work in only a couple ways and v-groove letters is not one of them. I've had great success with using an air brush to apply size.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's gonna prevent the gold from sticking to the background after the mask is pulled? I guess I'm still stuck in doing it the way I learned.
After it's all cleared and dry, I dust the background with talcum powder and blow it off. Then size with oil using a clean quill and gild when squeeky. I like the Rolco better than the LeFranc

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian and Vance got it right. All the incised letters on Roman buildings are very shallow. The flatter to flat you can make them the better. Otherwise the light will reflect In to the V cut, instead of Out to the reader. If the were just painted a color it would not be such a big deal. But gold does need to reflect the light to the reader. Hope all works well for you.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

double post

[ December 13, 2012, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks guys!
Here's one....
http://www.advantagesignsupply.com/Gerber-Router-Bit-Gerber-3D-Autocarve-Router-Bit-150-Degree-x-1-1-4-x-1-4

And these would be fine for HDU or even redwood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-CNC-Engraving-3D-Bits-Router-1-4-6mm-x-32mm-150-Degree-2V632150-/370609015023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a04c8ef

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Bought one.....
Should be easier to guild too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Router-CNC-Engraving-V-Groove-Bit-6mmx32mmx150-Deg-/130669836174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6c87778e

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That should do it! And yes, much easier to gild.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, hope you have a 6mm chuck for that bit. Personally, I can't imagine a bit of sufficient quality to risk chucking up into my spindle at a $12.00 cost. Spindle bearings are too expensive to risk on a unbalanced bit of that size. There are several red flags on that deal. Rarely would you find a quality bit of solid carbide in that size. It would be much too brittle. (I'm thinking that description is wrong) I would venture to say that it isn't balanced, and besides that, it's a metric shaft. That bit will require you to really crank down the collet to get it tight, not good for a quality collet. You can buy a quality Onsrud 140 degree bit for $36.00 plus shipping with a half inch shaft that you can rely on to be balanced, sharp, quality material, and safe to use.

Please wear eye protection while using that the one you ordered. I would be surprised if that thing flew apart.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Ok, thanks Dave!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
at a $12.00 cost
Ive used dozens of those 12 buck bits. they last and cut well. There is no imbalance in them. Those bits are being ground on the same machines used to make bits in the USA.

In fact that is where many of those machines came from. Our used machine tools went over there during the past 3 years of our economic destruction. I know this because I make graphics for a company that sends used machine tools over there.

The cutter shown the above link is not fully solid carbide. Only the cut edge is solid carbide. The rest is steel. I have a cutter of about that size used in my router bench.. It runs fine thankfully.

Also, a cutter that size would not be run at high speeds. Running in the low 4 figures will be plenty.

[ December 16, 2012, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

The bit arrived, from Shanghai, ....but methinks the angle of this 150° bit may be too low. Should I have gone with a 120° one?
 -

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO Yes......120

BTW, I use the Helmsman Spar Urethane and I use a minimum of 5 coats for work that I send south........just saying.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Joe
This is one I used the Helmsman Spar Urethane on, circa 1987, laminated from western cedar 2x4's. They installed it with the log chains, which wouldn't have been my first choice. But then, today I would do the layout/copy differently too.

-

[ December 29, 2012, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

The metric shaft is still an issue. I wouldn't have a problem using one of those bits in a standard router, but I wouldn't think of chucking one up into my spindle without a metric collet. Even a range collet is risky. Broke several bits using a range collet.

I agree too, 120°

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can testify about the 150 degree Gerber bit - I've used one on several v carved signs and really like it. Can't really comment on the 120 versus 150, all I can say is the 150 worked fine for me. I would suggest checking the angle though, as mine was about half a degree off, leaving ridges as the tool stepped down into the material.

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can testify about the 150 degree Gerber bit - I've used one on several v carved signs and really like it. Can't really comment on the 120 versus 150, all I can say is the 150 worked fine for me. I would suggest checking the angle though, as mine was about half a degree off, leaving ridges as the tool stepped down into the material.

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Graham.
You're right, Dave. I checked it with a set of digital calipers; .236" for the Chinese metric one .248" for a standard one; a noticeable difference. Hand tightening would not hold the bit in place enough to let go and put a wrench on it. like it does normally, then I had to crank the collet down an extra turn or so to get it tight. Won't be getting anymore metric ones, although the listing DID say "1/4"". I'll get a 120° standard one next time.

The collet I use for 1/4" is from my 2.5hp PorterCable plunge router but it fits perfectly on the 3.25 hp PorterCable router on the ShopBot.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!