Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » match PSM COLOR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: match PSM COLOR
Ernest Clark
Visitor
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernest Clark   Email Ernest Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me a heads up on vinyl color matching PM 287? My pantone color chart is old
and i can't seem to get a match.
Thanks for any help.

--------------------
Ernest Clark
Dahlonega Sign Co.
101 Whispering Winds Dr
Murrayville,Ga 30564
Been there, Done that, Probably do it again.

Posts: 134 | From: Dahlonega,Ga. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinyl is not set up on pms colors. Instead of offering the customer a match, the foolproof way to go about it is to show your customer the color you have that comes closest. Once they approve a color, ask them to initial a swatch. Attach the swatch to the work order.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oracal 851 Premium Cast 546 Velvet Blue is just a tiny bit lighter and 536 Middle Blue is about the same amount darker. Either would likely be a decent match, providing your customer isn't overly picky.

On Oracal's 8500 translucent series, 005 Middle Blue is the closest, but again, just a tiny bit lighter.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernest Clark
Visitor
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernest Clark   Email Ernest Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank for the info guess i can make it work.
Thanks again for the quick response.

--------------------
Ernest Clark
Dahlonega Sign Co.
101 Whispering Winds Dr
Murrayville,Ga 30564
Been there, Done that, Probably do it again.

Posts: 134 | From: Dahlonega,Ga. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go here, it shows closest match is translucent > > http://selector.3m.com/selector/us/en/graphicarts/scotchprint/color_p/ss.asp?FAM=pcr&SORD=104&LL=en&FT_104=256&FT_105=0

edit: being translucent it may make a difference what background color it's applied to.

[ November 27, 2012, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Tony McDonald ]

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie, Avery A-9 Midnight Blue A9528-0 is equivalent to PMS 286 C...awfully close.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's the problem, Dale. Anybody who requests a PMS match is not looking for "awfully close". The only way to deal with "matching" vinyl is to have the customer sign off on the vinyl color he/she wants, and not even pretend it's a pms match.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you have to bring their wants & desires down to an economic level that they'll understand.

Sure, I can get you a vinyl that'll match your PNS colour perfectly. The only catch is that you'll have to commit to buying a minimum of 5 boxcars full, at roughly $18, 995.00 per carload. Otherwise, I'd advise you to settle for the closest available colour match.

Guess how easy it then becomes to get a compromised colour Ok'd.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and I both know that, Don.

But on a cloudy day vs a sunny day; or artificial light vs sunlight vs fluorescent, it may well make the same color look different.

When confronted with the extra costs of precise matching (these are ink colors anyway, not paint), the probability that the color will change slightly, depending on what color background you put it on, and the fact that in several months, it will probably fade some anyway.

Sometimes, close can be good enough. Those PMS colors are a pain anyway.....too many choices!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pantone Matching Series can give PMS to anyone, males included!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!