Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lets talk about business

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lets talk about business
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So How's it going? Business picking up? Done anything a little different lately? Bought any new Equipment?

We are in the process of buying a great little color laser printer, Ricoh, not sure off hand of the model number, but it just came back off lease from a church, with very little use...can print up to 11x17 double sided, and very fast and economical... should save is a little bit of money on all the inks we go through here... also really thinking hard on the AGFA M4F....Fortunate to have a load of work all the time, our issue is getting it all done on time...

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beginning to pick up some, spin-off work based upon our projects done for the City of Carrabelle, Florida. I'll actually be putting my CarveWright carving machine to work on others. looks as if we will finish the holidays doing some creative, higher end stuff. I am not convinced that I do not do better with the more mundane quick stuff though.That should change as I get a better grasp of the time cost of doing dimensional jobs.
Thanks for beginning this thread, Neil.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is always a surprise to me where the work comes from. I can't plan for what will be requested so it never gets boring around here! That is why I love what I do. Variety in this business keeps me interested and challenges me to improve and learn more. We get lots of creative jobs that mixes digital prints with painted or cutout shapes as well as simple banners, magnetics and coroplast signs. I am using my ShopBot router more and more and the 3D stuff is getting noticed. We have had a up and down year but we are surviving and keeping our overhead under control.

We are not slammed like years past this time of year, but steady so I can't complain. The jobs can get completed faster since we are not as backed up as in the past. I like this pace and we are paying the bills so all is well!

Have a great holiday season everyone.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Douglas Hancock
Visitor
Member # 29758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas Hancock   Email Douglas Hancock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil,

We have been blessed with some good paying jobs and some comitments for some larger projects in the future. Hopefully it will keep going. We did buy a 24" Canon ProGraf 6100S this year. It is for archival proofing and is a aqueous printer. Some of the paper prints can last 200yrs! they claim. We found a great deal on one that only had only printed 16 sqft before we got it. We had a mess of a time getting some proofs printed and spent a fortune for lousy service from a local printer. I decided we need to bring that in house. I have used it a bunch. It lets me print some great prints for sales presentation fast. Awesome tool.

--------------------
Douglas Hancock
Sign Pro of North Florida, Inc,
P.O. Box 1315
Alachua, Fl 32616
352-359-7059

Posts: 17 | From: Alachua, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a couple new quills and fitches, and some Nova acrylic paints. Trying to get a handle on using the acrylics might not happen for me. Every time I try them I hope I have enough old lettering color to usher me into retirement. They are nasty to letter with.

[ November 23, 2012, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New building all consuming, 8000 sq/ft x 20 high. Warehousing with industrial loading docks. Did excavation and prep work for second building of same size while I was at it. Jeez, dirt is expensive... I'll never use the expression "cheap as dirt" again. Excavation and fill over 100,000 so far.

It's slower than anticipated, everything causing delays; Foundation water and sewer are all installed, waiting for steel, but it is moving along. Hopefully ready for occupancy end of February. Phase II will go much faster, knowing the hurdles.

It will free up about 2000 sq/ft in the shop, who knows what toys the additional space will bring.

Neil, now you have a printer the next toy you need is a paper shear [Smile] You can get a good used one for about 4k to 6k... will open up a world of possibilities.

[ November 23, 2012, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Mike O'Neill ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two jobs currently. One that is a fussy sandblasted oval glass piece and one that is a 4x5 directory for a doctors building. I got all excited from a call Wed for 38 12x18 mag signs for a recycler to label bins (changeable).
I sometimes get stuff over Dec...but usually not. If I wasn't working in someone else's shop I'd go nutz with the quiet. I guess I'll be working at home a lot before 13. It's all good... Jer/Artworx whose e-mail is artworx@turlocksigns.com

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this was the best year we've had in the past five, I recently sold the sandblasting system and have been using the money to buy parts for a CNC hotwire foam cutter. I have the framing built, the stepper motors and mounts, drivers, the breakout board, linear bearings, drive components, software, power supplies and am now waiting on the linear slides so I can attach the y axis. The slides won't be here until the end of December so I can be assembling the electronics while I wait for that. I have also set up with a supplier to order my first shipment of foam. My minimum order will be $1k.

After the foam cutter, I intend to build a CNC milling machine with a removable T-slot bed, ballscrew and stepper motor drive. Then I will be out of the "sandblaster" money. I am designing the z axis on the mill to triple purpose so that it can be fitted with either a watercooled spindle, a laser, or a plasma cutter. The capacity will be about 50"x 40"y and 16"z and with 1200 oz/inch non-geared hybrid stepper motors, it should have plenty of power and adequate speed. This is to be used to cut out metal letters as well as make precision parts for more CNC machines. Ultimately, I hope to use the mill to build some of the components for a fast servo and rack-driven 4x8 router. I'm also itching to build a reprap machine which is a much less expensive hobby but something I don't need for the shop right now..

As to business, we are finishing up a monument sign, a semi trailer with all-painted graphics, and just started another job for the "tree farm" program making six 4x4's and three 1x3's vinyl and metal signs. Another job waiting in the wings is a 2' x 57' metal sign and a 3' x24' metal sign to installon an auto parts store. I tried to sell him on Gemini letters but he didn't want to have to paint his facade before installing those.

I am quite happy with my latest business cards and have also designed some coordinating brochures but am waiting until the monument sign is completed so that I can include a photo of it on those before sending the files in to my printer. For 2013, I'm expecting a very good year!

[ November 23, 2012, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, right now, I have a fire truck in the shop that I just did a little face lift to, plus some quickie flames. As for pending jobs,,,,a van partial wrap/graphics, two rubbish trucks, menu sign, indoor painted sign, semi truck,hummm what else? I think that's about it. I have a few lines of prospect that I hope will come through, not to mention waiting for some new places to be built in the spring.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year has brought me great adventures to Arcola ILL. wow as a result I'm making changes like bought new water base brushes & paints, plus I'm going after pinstriping fully, also now buying carving tools now.
I don't have any real work like in the 80s & 90s so I'm doing changes so I get alot more sooner or later as long as it it is hand painted, carved, crafted.

Just don't have the interest in designing or sticking vinyl on stuff, but still learning the software in hopes of doing some.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2012 has been a very good year. A lot of wholesale routering and fabricating for other sign shops. Right now it's dimensional letter and logo madness.

We have about 10 jobs scattered around the shop in various stages of completion...

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are busy here. The house is now at drywall stage and there will be LOTS for me to do when that is done as we are custom routing most of the trim and other details. Out in the shop we are slammed with some pretty cool jobs. It looks like we are pretty much booked solid until early summer so there is no complaining here.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Main signs for 5 apartments...I love my apartment people...they give me free creative license and let me work at my own pace...I also just got a call about signs in Davy Crockett State Park...do not know yet what that might be...so for a little one man operation out of my house...I booked up.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!