Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Dude......how much marijuana....... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dude......how much marijuana.......
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm- I don't see anywhere in the post where Todd refers to religion in any way, shape or form.... It seems he was pointing to a study on IQ effects of smoking pot. Why is religion continually thrown back into the posts as a rebuttal? Just because you don't like him, he can't contribute anything?

Kelly then makes an observation and caution about using things that have the possibility of worsening certain mental issues like schizophrenia... and the rebuttal is "well, it's not as bad as beer" ....really? That's all you got?

[I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a related thread a couple weeks ago, someone commented to the effect: “Those with closed minds will never know what they missed.” The choice NOT to use drugs doesn’t mean someone has a closed mind. Usually, they have examined the evidence before them and decided, in their case, it’s not for them. I chose not to get drunk, not to try tobacco, not to smoke pot, not to try other drugs because, after examining the issues, it just didn’t make sense for me.

When I was very young, I loved the smell of cigarette smoke. My father often had co workers over for dinner, many of whom smoked, and I’d sidle up to them to get a whiff of that aroma and I’d ask them about smoking. Every single one of them answered with some variant of: “I hate this habit... I wish I could quit... It’s a nasty habit... I’d quit if I could...”, etc. At age FOUR, I thought, “If everyone who smokes wishes they could quit, why do they ever start?” After that, I never had a desire at any point in my life to even take a puff to see what it was like.

Years ago, I had dental work done under nitrous oxide. I absolutely hated the feeling of not having control over myself. A couple years ago, when I had day surgery, I had the choice of a general type of anesthesia, which would have required my wife taking a day off work, or a different type in which I’d be conscious but unable to feel pain. The latter would allow me to drive home a couple hours later and I opted for that. Again, I found the experience completely miserable, with all kinds of bizarre thoughts and sensations. I don’t know how any of that compares with being stoned, but it’s certainly not for me.

I have many close friends and a brother in law who used to abuse alcohol, use tobacco in various forms, partake in hemp on a recreational basis (a terminology nod to Joey), and use other drugs. Every one of them is happy to be far away from that lifestyle. They feel better about themselves and where they are in life and they have better jobs and more disposable income. Recently, I was with one of those friends in a convenience store when several of his old high school running buddies came in. They were very friendly to us but were all glassy eyed and wasted on various pharmaceuticals and alcohol. After they left, I commented to my friend on one of them, and he replied, “Oh him? He was practically sober!” Although they all went to school together a dozen years or so back, they also looked much older than my friend.

Call me closed minded if you will, but my decision not to use these things is based on rational thought and experience. I won’t attempt to force anyone to think like me but I will give my observations if someone is interested in them. Another person might look at everything and choose differently, which is his choice and responsibility.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, David.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
@David Harding:

I won't step into a dentist's office that doesn't offer nitrous oxide. Actually, I eat hard candy just to get my regular fix.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

Is that why the dentist office always has a bowl of candy in the reception area?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course! You didn't know that?

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those times I am second guessing my decision to allow this post to continue. Most of you know we have first hand experience with a loved one suffering from schizophrenia.

The whole discussion on the use of dope, as a medicine, or just another way to relax and/or escape reality is of big interest to me.

I broke our own rules for selfish reasons. In the process, I created a "monster". My bad.

There's nothing wrong with talking about this stuff. It's all I can do to not to get involved in the debates. Here's why.

Letterheads is still very important to me. Too many of my old Letterhead friends are gone and I see nobody stepping up to carry on what they started. Who's teaching outstanding design? Hand lettering. Are there any left that still believe sharing how to gold leaf and all that other old stuff that turned me on in the 80s is still relevent?

We've been at this website stuff longer than most. Experience has taught us that discussions about social issues like religion and politics only serve to divide and bring out the worse in us. We decided to ban those discussions in the interest of seeing this place survive.

We know some of you dislike this policy, but I saw other "sign forums" turn into disasters. It's not easy to enforce the law. There are times we are heros, but you do tend to hear from the unhappy than the many I know understand the "rules" here.

I'm rambling. The point is there are all sorts of blogs that cater to these other discussions. I regret letting this go on. There are better places to talk about this stuff. I forgot this time. Thanks for reminding me. [Smile]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!