Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Kewanee Fire Mural

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kewanee Fire Mural
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My design. I figured I'd get it done up and start working on the maquette while I'm in still mural mode.
Anyone want to help? Looks like I'm going to need some letterers as well as pictorial artists.

-

Sue you still on board?

[ November 12, 2012, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a very interesting subject, Kelly. I would guess that it was difficult to decide on an approach to it.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW Kelly, Nice interpretation of information.
Can you explain how you put this color rendering together for presentation.
These murals are getting way to detailed to just make a scale "Sketch".
You must use all available technology to produce something as beautiful as yours.
Excellent "Presentaiton Rendering"

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good Kelly, love the hand colored photo.

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rick, (and thanks for your advice). Coloring the photo gave it a lot more depth and in order to keep it simple and help balance it I just added text to the center panel. I think the mayor is telling the lovely lady of his plans. [Wink]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Bob, I kind of knew the approach I wanted right from the start. I really lucked out with being able to track down the perfect photographs.

John, the design was put together using layers in Photoshop. I hand colored the sepia tone image with low opacity brushes. The flames are just ones pulled from a Google search.

I'm working on some panels to cover windows on a museum right now, so I'm kind of "brushed up" on painting. As soon as I am finished them I plan to work on the Maquette. I find it important to work through the image on a smaller scale. Anytime I have skipped that step, the mural has been more challenging and unforeseen problems on a large scale are not pleasant, especially if you are on a short time schedule.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keewanee must rebuild in lower case......seems to just blend in.........

[ November 12, 2012, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the design, the despair, and the determination to rebuild. I have a good feeling about Kewanee - the planners are on top of things and this will be another great meet.
Just for kicks, how would it look if that flame on the right licked above the border?

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
outstanding work!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks Great Kelly,and right now it looks like we're in...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Hurrah!

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good Kelly,

I might head down there this weekend to look around again. If you need any photos or anything let me know.

I like Sonny's idea of putting a lick of flames up the wall a bit maybe?...my two pennies...if the border was played down a bit...thinner and or darker, it might make the flames and image pop a bit more....but hey, it's your party.

Looking forward to Kewanee next summer, I've been down there already and the people and town are really great!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll be great to see the Welters again. I got an e-mail from a lady Russell Kelly met at a mural seminar in Canada and she's eager to join us in Kewanee - her name is Mary Thiefels and her website is: www.treetownmurals.com
She does excellent work and already has the right Walldog attitude. If you get a chance, please drop her a line and give her a big Walldog Welcome:
treetownmurals@gmail.com
(but don't try to recruit her - we've already got dibs)

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Thanks again, I'll give your ideas a test run Sonny and Dale. [Smile]

Sonny, keep scooping up those Canadians. ;P

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!