Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - Some people are heartless . . . (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT - Some people are heartless . . .
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my 100% true statement to one of my customers today about why their sign wasn't going to get done today . . .

I'm stunned at the heartlessness (especially considering they must own pets) - so I tried to respond in a way that they as business people would understand:

Me:
XXXXXX . . .

Unforeseen emergency. XXX had to euthanize his 3 year old cat this morning. Before 5am he was at the Animal Emergency Clinic . . . and they informed him his cat had a blood clot in his heart that passed on to his hind legs. No choice – and XXX's home today and pretty upset as you might understand.

We'll reschedule for tomorrow – and it will all get done in one day. Sorry for the inconvenience – but these are the things we just can't plan for.

Thanks, XXXXXX

Jay

Her:
Sorry Jay I don't understand. What I do understand is my sign is not up. I drove my 10 year old to a baseball game last summer while our 6 year old pure bread cat was being euthanized. Were talking about an animal not a human being. I love cats but I don't think it's a cause to take off work. its a cat not a person. I know you're expecting me to understand but I don't understand.

Me:
I know exactly what you mean, XXXXXX – but it was XXX's choice to remain home and I can't change that. As a business owner, it would be detrimental to his relationship with me and my business going forward. It seemed heartless to demand him to come in. Be mad at me.

We'll do it tomorrow – on that you can be certain. Just 24 hours . . .

Jay

I own pets. They do not purposely die to inconvenience my customers. This sign was delayed by their (in)actions two weeks ago - I was then on vacation last week (they knew that) - and we promised it would be done Tuesday or Wednesday. Instead, it will be Thursday . . .

Amazing how indifferent people can be to animals - especially people who own them yet must not feel the same pain at the loss of an animal. This poor cat was just 3 years old . . . and healthy as could be.

Oh well . . . we'll finish it tomorrow and their precious sign will be up . . .

I will remain as an understanding and compassionate person first, and a business owner second. But that's just me . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's impossible to get thru to people like that. They're immune to feelings for anything but themselves. Forget her.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps just telling her that your employee was unwell and couldn't come in today would have worked better.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As important as signs are to me. I have come to two conclusions. Unless a sign is intended for an event, or a sign is about to fall on someone. There are NO SIGN EMERGENCIES.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, perhaps a "BRIDGE OUT" or DO NOT OPEN....Zombies INSIDE.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like her.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hindsight, Kelly . . . hindsight. I guess honesty with some vaguery as to the details would've worked. I just went for pure, 100% unsweetened truth.

People never fail to disappoint me - but the lack of sensitivity and understanding from a business owner is what seems most noteworthy.

No concern for MY relationship with MY employee could suggest they themselves aren't very sensitive to their employees needs. So I guess the lesson is . . . I'm glad I don't work for them.

I bet they get some great productivity from a depressed employee now with a chip on their shoulder towards the boss because they had to work the day they euthanized a pet. <insert sarcasm here>

Nice to know their 10 year old will grow up equally desensitized to pet ownership . . . Who needs love and humanity, right???

(Disclosure: My Golden Retriever is asleep at my feet...)

Jeez . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see- that customer could have saved a bunch of money and time by just strapping the cat to the car tire on the way to the son's baseball game... no muss no fuss-- they would probably understand that!

I wouldn't waste my breath trying to "rationalize" things with clients- the job will be finished on time, unless it's not- then it will be finished as quickly as it gets finished...

I will almost bet that if the project had been finished on time, the customer would have had something come up to prevent them from picking it up right away... happens all the time

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay,

First of all, SCREW YOUR CUSTOMER !!......I, really, wonder about what the AH would have thought of this;

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/09/26/man-photographed-soothing-dog-in-lake-uses-extra-donations-to-st/?ncid=webmail9#photo=11

Sorry about that, Jay.....I guess I got carried away.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumper sticker on a pick up with big tires:

"Cats flattened while you wait!"

[Eek!]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pat answer is to say that there was a death in the family and leave it at that. Considering how I feel about my pets, it would be the honest truth. The client doesn't need to know anything else.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one that will top this b---h.In 1995 Betsy's son fell dead across our bed.Prior to this devestating event,a customer of mine ordered a Christmas tree lot sign, spur of the moment.A family death is bad enough so when I explained to this man it would be a couple of days before I could finish his sign,this was his response word for word...I don't care about this funeral crap...I just need my christmas tree sign.All the bad feelings and negative words we think,the're none that will fit a heartless human being like this.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David O'Hanlon
Visitor
Member # 2754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David O'Hanlon   Author's Homepage   Email David O'Hanlon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An employee that doesn't show up today because their cat died, needn't bother showing up tomorrow.

Sorry for your loss Bill.

--------------------
Army Dave
Oz

Posts: 229 | From: Brisbane, Oz | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if the same applies in the states, but here we have what is called a "personal day". Employees have a limited number of them and as far as I know there is no explanation needed. We all have a different threshold of coping with certain situations. The anonymity of the situation is useful.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael O'Regan
Visitor
Member # 7751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a long term customer who couldn't understand why I wouldn't drop what I was doing on the second anniversary of my sons death ( He died at three and a half months from a heart defect and on that day I was tending his grave and at mass with the family)Customer wanted a 2 foot square corriboard sale sign, I explained why I wasn't working and he explained that he didn't care!! We dont do business anymore, to be honest he is lucky to still have his teeth! People like that are not worth anyones time!

--------------------
Mike O'Regan
O'Regan Decorators
Newcastle West,Ireland

Posts: 29 | From: Newcastle West,Ireland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn's response probably would have been the best avenue. Keep it short and forego details.

However Jay, I probably would have done what you have done, and likewise been sorely disappointed.

I love how she has to emphasize that her cat was a "pure bred" ... like that gives even more merit to her story.

I'd be tempted to shame her somehow by pointing out how lucky she is to have a son, and that for some people their pets are their children. Still, I wonder if folks like that could see past their own agendas long enough to feel some empathy

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, I believe that people like that are placed on our planet to test us as to how much we can take.
I always found that most people will accept the truth and carry on, but there are always the few who will make us forget all the good ones.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for ya Jay. But, business is business. So, don't take it personally.

My approach to something like this is to be even more vague than what Glenn stated. Simply put, tell the client something has come up and it will be rescheduled.

If they have a problem with that, just ask her how would she feel if you left her project incomplete because you had another appointment scheduled?!?!

Cheers,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth and heart F--ks with low head people.That's that...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say that the way a PERSON treats their ANIMALS says a lot about a what kind of a person they are. In fact, if someone tortures animals as a child it is the first sign to watch them as an adult. They will likely be institutionalized. (jail or hospital) If she felt it was more important to take a kid to a soccer game than to stay with a family pet as it is being euthanized that says a lot about her and what kind of person she is. I feel sorry for her kid. Y
you learn a lot from your parents.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Less than 24 hours later, we're done with the sign. 24 little hours . . .

Deri . . . right on. As I said, she's exported that hard heart to a 10 year old son. Sad, isn't it? One more cold-hearted, emotionless male on the planet . . .

Nettie, I agree, Glenn's reply was probably the best way to go - but should honesty need a filter?? That's altering the truth - but being vague would likely have worked. I was honest to hopefully scare up some sympathy . . . but didn't calculate the client as being Cruella DeVille. Your other remark about 'some people's pets ARE their children' . . . is so very valid. In this case, you're spot on. He has no kids of his own . . . and his cats are his kids. Her agenda put HER needs first - and everyone else can just **** off. Sadly, she's not alone in that dismissive attitude about putting her agenda before all others. I said "you can't plan for certain things" but apparently between youth baseball and their business, having a heart and understanding is a simple waste of useless emotion. Sad . . .

Mr. Riedel . . . I wholeheartedly agree. It takes good AND bad people to help define how we wish to portray ourselves. That's how we raised our son . . . "not all parents or adults are GOOD role models". They are our best (bad) examples.

Brian, yep - business is business. Agreed. I would NOT tell my employee what was written - it wouldn't serve any purpose. But for all the kind hearts who appeared in his world yesterday, finding a turd in the world shouldn't (and isn't) be a surprise to me.

Bill Wood . . . so much for my sad story!! That is truly tragic . . . I'm not sure how I'd have handled that one . . . Maybe with hands to the throat?? [Wink]

Go forward with purpose and love all of mankind . . . even the lowliest of creatures . . .

So tonight, I will say a little prayer for her hard heart. That's all I can do to push back against her indifference and egocentric attitude. I can do that because I know they neither lost nor gained ANY business in the last 24 hours . . . but she did expose a side of her that alerts me going forward.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signs O' The Times:

2 Timothy 3: But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

On a similar note.
There is a hardware store that we frequent, around the corner. We came to rely upon them for the last stop on our way to do installs.
My crusty employee had waited a number of times to be waited on by a rather slow witted counter man. I'll call him Ronny. Ronny is friendly, helpful and a kind hearted soul...just not real sharp. One afternoon as we re-entered the truck, my employee says, "I don't know why people like that are even here?"
My response was, "God puts people like Ronny here so we can simply have the opportunity to show unselfish love. My employee had no smart- assed retort after that. He thought little of God or real love. hey, I did what I could.

Jay, why do people like your hard-hearted customer even exist? Your prayers tonight are probably the answer to my rhetorical question. hang in there Brother Jaybird.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Thanks, Bob . . . You're right - I know how to 'fight back' and that's how the evening will end - so you're right about what I do with this 'lesson'.

Sometimes lessons should be shared - and I have (and learned how others might deal with it...)

I've done my part now . . . and since I am neither judge nor jury, I'll let the Universe take over from here on out!!

And Sean . . . I can't imagine any century where that Bible passage wasn't true . . . The failings of man still haunts us today. Just trying my best to not be anything like those described!!

Peace out, everyone . . .!!

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading all these, so very nicely worded comments and opinions, which I wholeheartedly respect and admire, I still say:

SCREW THAT KIND OF CUSTOMER !!.....The trick is to dismiss the jerk as quickly as possible from your life and NEVER allow that person to make you their sorry ass victim, which you can, simply, avoid by not dwelling on the topic thereafter, so you can continue with your life and that of your family, friends and employees...The ones who care about you and, most importantly, the ones that really matter in your life.

....Understand this..... people will continue behaving in the manner which they choose and there is nothing you can do to change their behavior, unless you want to sacrifice the rest of your life by becoming a crusader, attempting to change these idiots that cross your path ....I do understand that business is business, but here is where I draw the line......Business, will ( always ) take care of itself.

RD

[ September 27, 2012, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a well-used expression in our shop - "O.A.F.S."
(Only A F*****g Sign) I love the business but some things - actually, many things - are way more important to me.f

[ September 27, 2012, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Graham Parsons ]

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a well-used expression in our shop - "O.A.F.S."
(Only A F*****g Sign) I love the business but somethings - actually, many things - are way more important to me.

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Wow - I even managed to say it twice!

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, yes honesty often needs a filter. Ponder that the next time the woman you love ask you if that new dress she likes makes her butt look fat and it does. [Wink]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell her, yes it makes your butt look fat and it drives me mad with desire.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why are people like that here? ORGAN DONORS!!!!
ok, just kidding [Smile]

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that lady was the only hateful person.
Just look at the over reactions here responding about her.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ September 28, 2012, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Cal Trauter ]

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pete, I really appreciated that. [Rolling On The Floor]
Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

To complete the story - and to offer support of always taking the high road as the proper course of action - yesterday she thanked us for the transformation from old and tired to new and obvious. No mention of said incident . . . and I believe that my explanation of it being my choice to let him remain away from work as it could create future issues with a key employee may have made her think on her reaction some more. (Or not!!)

But when I informed her that the light sensor on the electric sign was not working and on all 24 hours of the day, she thanked me with great enthusiasm and we got her for another chucnk of change to go out and repair it.

Had I 'let her have it' with regard to her callous remarks, no such future transaction would have transpired. As we all forget regularly, life is dependent on the reality we create for ourselves. Reality IS bendable and can be shaped. This refusal to be emotive and simply ask for 24 hours more was - apparently - the proper course to take. Telling her to 'be mad at me' probably softened her to allow the future conversations to take place - and more money headed our way . . .

But her 10 year old son will probably still not grow up truly loving pets . . . lol

"Once in a vision I came on some woods,
Aand stood at a fork in the road.
My choices were clear,
Yet I froze with the fear
Of not knowing which way to go.
One road was simple - acceptance of life.
The other road offered sweet peace.
When I made my decision, my vision became my release."
~ Dan Fogelberg

Words to live by . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoting the late Mike Stevens...
"Take the path of heart."

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Quit writing off her 10yr old son, children have an amazing capability to rise above. [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Well, I guess that I will step down, now....But, before, I would like to leave you with a quote of an old saying:

"Once we see the balls, we know it is a male"

Jay, I am happy for you....!

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Kel . . . I did say 'probably' . . . [Wink]

Ricardo . . . hilarious!! Never heard that saying before!! heeheehee

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice save Jay. It can be very satisfying (if only teporarilly)to let 'em have it when they so richly deserve said tune up/comeuppance. I politely fired the local county once because the supervisor was rude to my staff when I didn't respond in a timely manner to an email he forgot to send. He later called and apologized and I have since done quit a bit of work for them. Big of him to apologize. Felt good to defend my staff. Guess it's a fli[p f the coin sometimes.
Suzt Butler once told a p.i.t.a. customer 'Sorry sir, but I'm afraid you no longer qualify to be one of our clients". Benn waiting to use that line for a long time!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!