Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Large Format Printer Recommendations?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Large Format Printer Recommendations?
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have been asked to source a large format digital printer/cutter. I am looking for recommendations on the best current equipment on the market for fairly heavy use.

I understand that Latex printing ink systems are fairly new, but I am also looking into the advantages and or disadvantages of the system over solvent based systems?

I also need recommendations on a good quality...easy to use, lamination equipment.

Additionally, what is currently offered in an easy to install, long lasting, all around good quality substrate. Application will most likely not include many curved surfaces...if that helps.

I would appreciate any feedback you might be able to offer....if you have time to discuss your recommendations in further detail, send an email to me at: dmanor@wi.com and I'll reply with my contact info.

Thank you,

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale,

If you haven't used "Signs365" yet, you might want
to try them. I have had very good luck with them.
My largest purchase was a 12'x30' ft banner 4 years
ago, made great profit and it still looks good. It
is used as a permanent sign. Real estate, adhesive
prints, and a huge print for a houseboat hotel on
MDO right on the bayfront here in Oregon.
I no longer make signs but I would keep my overhead
in control with less equipment...

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jack,

I am also looking into wholesale printing and comparing the cost of that vs. having an in-house graphics department.

What I was hoping to learn by checking here on Letterville is, what is the best equipment for heavy use? Is it better to buy a cutter/printer combination machine, or separate equipment.

If the ISA sign expo was held this time of year, I'd fly out there and do some research. I thought I would check with people who use the equipment every day instead of hearing a one-sided sales pitch?

Basically I am trying to learn what it would cost to equip a shop with a dependable large format digital printing system.

I am talking about the entire cost....

Printer
laminator
cutter (if needed)
prep table
media
maintenance (annual repair costs)
facility (clean room)
ventilation (if needed)
and any additional expenses

Next week I am hoping to have a report ready for the parties interested. I am grateful to those who have helped me with this so far.

Thanks,

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using a seiko colorpainter64 for past six years. Had to replace three heads in that time. Fantastic machine with outstanding results. Quite a steep learning curve, color profiles etc. away on hols for a little so can't remember make of laminator, Italian I think. Anyway, printer can output 50 metres of quality graphics in five hours. Important to set up these machines to use third party inks as original inks can prove pricey

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may also want to consider a direct print system if the budget allows. I sub out work to some friends who have a flatbed Vutek - substrate goes in one side and comes out the other finished - vinyl, banners, coroplast, aluminum, lexan, pvc, mdo, whatever....

Dale, I'll be glad to put you in touch with them if you're interested.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Thanks Sonny,

We will be applying graphics to finished 3D structural products so the flatbed method most likely will not be an option.

We are looking at high-volume prints applied as fast as we can make it happen. Most of the applications will be flat surfaces, with some subtle bends possible.

Just wondering if people prefer a stand alone printer and separate cutter or a printer/cutter setup?

To put it most simply.......

"If you were to set up a large format printing dream shop (not driven by cost) what would it include?"

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in the results, or your conclusions, too, Dale.

Out here we've found a few of the UV flat-bed printers to be not the wonder that people thought.
The UV means UV-cure, not UV-stable, and many earlier prints have faded fairly quickly in the Aussie sun.

I've been offered a Roland SP-540V with takeup rollers, Versaworks RIP & PC, and 3rd party bulk Aussie eco-sol inks for $6K secondhand. That's a printer-cutter, 1370mm media width, and has only CMYK.

The other option was a Mimaki JV3, 1600mm wide - same inks as the Roland, but full-solvent I think (not sure), secondhand for $5K. No RIP or takeup rollers. Not a plotter/cutter-just a printer.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're on our second mimaki. The first was a 60 inch and worked great. It went with the business and they are still using it. It was just a printer and we had a second machine for cutting. The second is cut and print. Love it and it is very low maintence. Accordingly, they say the more it runs the better on maintence. If you are doing a high volume of printing, I would think a separate cutter would be the ticket. I like the solvent ink, just because it sounds tough and we have had great luck with the color holding up. I'm sure there are just as many sucess stories with other brands and inks. I would look into things like ink head replacements and easy of rip programs. Good luck

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, I've had a Mimaki JV3 and I currently have an HP latex printer. The Mimaki solvent printer was a great piece of equipment however, the hazardous inks and the daily maintenance were more than I could bear. I now have the HP latex and find it to be a good machine capable of doing everything the Mimaki could do except for printing direct to PVC but it is better at printing fabric type substrates. Also, there is virtually no maintenance and greater ease and lower cost to consumable materials such as print head replacement and ink.

I also have a Royal Sovereign laminator, which performs flawlessly, enabling me to laminate full rolls of material in one shot. I think it is the best value in a laminator and gives you features only available in much higher costing machines. I think it is essential to have 5 roll holders on a laminator, one for the laminate, one for liner take up, one for craft paper, one for your substrate and one for a laminated substrate take up. These you can get on a RS. If you want a higher end laminator, I'd recommend the Seal Pro series. Also, only cold lamination will be needed for your use.

I would absolutely recommend a separate printer and plotter and not a combination machine. There are many reasons, some of which are if there is a problem with a combination machine you lose the function of both, also you can only print or plot at one time with a combo machine which is very inconvenient, also printers have a very limited lifespan where plotters last a very long time but if you have a combo machine you'll lose your plotting capability prematurely. I could go on and on but separate machines are definitely the way to go.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Hi Gary,

Great info, thanks.

Just wondering if you considered the Mimaki JV-400 Latex Printer when you switched to the HP? If so what made you decide to go with the HP?

Thanks also to Tom & Kat for your help.....putting together some great notes for my meeting next week.

Will be visiting Midwest Sign in Milwaukee soon to see some printers in action and get more information.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My rep told me to not even consider in house printing until your wholesale printing purchases go over $7,000 per year.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, the Mimaki JV-400 didn't exist when I purchased my HP. I have great respect for the Mimaki brand so I would definately consider one of those today, although now that I have experience with the HP who inovated this technology, it would be a very careful consideration. Give me a call if you have questions when you are looking and I'll be happy to help if I can.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale I agree with Gary I would go with two separate machines. We had a VersaCamm that would print and cut but as time went on we found ourselves printing and using our Graphtec for the cutting. We now have a HP Latex printer it does a great job. Hp was the only company that had the latex inks when we got ours.
We had good luck with our VersaCamm and would still be using it except we took a surge last August the parts we needed were not available and no VersaCamms either (Japans tsunami had things all backed up).

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Just wondering what kind of RIP software everyone is running with their machines? I know Roland has their own. I guess more specifically, what are you using with the HP Latex Printer?

Anyone find a good quality prep table. I looked up the RollsRoller but I'm not sure if we need something that elaborate?

Thanks again

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

I used the Mimaki Rasterlink RIP with my Mimaki and it performed excellently despite the fact that many people would scoff at it. I now use Flexi Photo Print with the HP, which is a Flexi RIP designed specifically for the HP as I do not have the full Flexi program. Again many would consider it a light weight RIP contender but I have found it to be very adequate. If your needs are to run multiple machines or you are very much into creating custom profiles then you might consider other software such as Onyx or Caldera. The Caldera has many followers but only runs on a Linux operating system, which makes life far more complicated than necessary for my taste.

The RollsRoller is a nice piece of equipment but there is also a US made competitor, the Rouge Roller that you might want to look at. Otherwise just a nice big table at least 60" x 120" with a self healing cutting mat does the job.

[ August 04, 2012, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Gary Boros ]

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Update and question(s)

Looking more and more at the HP Latex option.

I am wondering for one, which type of media you would recommend for air egress Vinyl Printing Media?

Are most people using 3M Controltac for their wrap media?

Does Oracal or any other company make a similar product that you would recommend?

Anyone using BigSol brand Media?

Are most of you purchasing your media locally or from a larger supplier from out of your area.

Thanks,

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't do really any full wraps but we have been using the oracal version of controltac which is called RA or Rapid Air for a while now & really like it for workability & durability. Specifically we use Orajet 3951G RA print media & Oraguard 290G laminate on just about everything. We also print using a VersaCamm SP 300i & eco sol inks. We do alot of work on semis, so the graphics take alot of abuse due to road wear & sunlight, but we have had trucks come back years later to have graphics repaired because of accidents & the old colors looked just as good as the new.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Thanks Ben, very helpful info...

Any good suppliers for digital printed media in the upper Midwest area that you might recommend?

thanks

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Ben, I have been using the VersaCamm now for almost 8 years, 2 years ago I reinvested in the newer 540 model... I have wrapped dozens of trucks and trailers as well as Vans, and the thing is a work horse, and like Ben's experience, they last for many many years.. I use Arlons version of control Tac... I find it has more Tack than 3m and holds creases a lot better... My 2cents worth.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use Caldera RIP software for the two Vutek Grand format printers, the HP large format latex printer, and the VersaCamm eco-sol printer. We use Cutting Master to cut to the Graphtec from CS6 on a MAC. This works for contour cutting as well.

We use all 3M for vinyl and laminates.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Regina Rae
Visitor
Member # 4024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Rae   Author's Homepage   Email Regina Rae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(As a small sign shop~)
I took Mr. Jack Will's advice and checked out signs355.com.
WoW! I'm impressed.
Thanks!

--------------------
Regina Rae
Red Apple Design
Ringgold, GA

Posts: 46 | From: Ringgold, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,
I just set up a MacMini with Caldera last week. I have no room for another workstation so I have it set up for screen sharing with my MacPro and I'm loving not haveing to run parallels/xp/PosterJet anymore.
I'm still liking the CuttingMaster workflow though. It's simple and amazingly accurate.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a printer, but FYI I stuck a test print from an HP latex to a piece of PVC & put it on the roof of my shop. Print lasted 8 months with no lamination on the roof of my shop (Full sun). Mind you we're in Puerto Rico, I'm sure it'll vary from one location to the next.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

The only problem with Signs365 is that they only sell to the sign trade, which apparently we do not qualify for. So, that being the case, we then have to go through another middle man and deal with the cost, time, and hassles involved there......no offense, we just don't have that kind of time usually.

Therefore, I am looking into other wholesale printers in this area for our quantity printing needs. If anyone knows anyone that does UV high volume work, let me know.

thanks

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!