Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need fresh ideas for logo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need fresh ideas for logo
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am finding myself creatively challenged on an idea for art / logo for the top of a carved township sign. The city of Millersburg, Oregon has contracted me to construct 2 new entry signs and given me limited input. They are in an agricultural area but they don't want the emphasis on agriculture. Originally they had a slogan of "Linking agriculture to industry" I had created some rough drafts with fields, farm, and tractors in the foreground then sunrises, and factories in the background. So far nothing really catches their interest. I think the problem is I am dealing with 3 individuals and they all have differing opinions.
So what I am asking is: Does anyone have any art/logo ideas that could include a little agriculture and more industry set in a rural settting? Any help would be greatly appreciated, sketches on napkins even....

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to satisfy everyone's tastes. Do they agree on the "look" they want i.e. have they seen another sign they all like? Some people like a textured look others want smooth. It could be a challenge.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that is tough one with several people deciding

Start with what they all like.

Google a bunch of images of whatever start breaking down what they do not want to final what items they do want.

Then put together the few they like go from there.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Craig has a good suggestion. You also need to let them know the "meter is running" when you present the options. That might help secure a quicker decision. Otherwise, it will be tweaked to [your] death.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do folks successfully deal with this situation? David has one good suggestion. More times than not, committees for schools, churches, etc. will run up design time, obviously with the belief that design is free.

Where do they get THAT idea?

I doubt that this has as much to do with the designs, as it does with three people on a committee that feel no obligation to make a decision in a timely manner.

Guys and gals of Letterville, what is your policy to keep this from ever happening? And without running off a potential good customer in the process.

[ July 26, 2012, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I ran into this a year or so back when designing for the Carrabelle, Fl entry signs. My advice is do not go nuts with bells and whistles. trying to create a showpiece.
Keep things extremely simple. This gives them fewer targets to shoot down. Give more thought to texture and dimension. Let those things be the bells and whitles on a wonderfully simple layout.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never show a customer something you don't want to do. They will always pick it.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, you nailed it......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I get into a situation like this with a committee I take a stack of SignCraft magazines into the meeting with me and try to get a consensus of their likes and dislikes that way. I think they get a bit overwhelmed by all the possibilities and tend to let me run with it.

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millersburg - "Linking agriculture to industry". Screams of a grist mill themed sign to me. Headpond, Bags of grain, waterwheel, millstones, flour barrels / bags. Have fun.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jeff,
I'm not in the sign business anymore, but I do still creep here occasionally! I found it interesting that in your post you wrote "They are in an agricultural area but they don't want the emphasis on agriculture". Then you said you submitted drawing with fields, farms and tractors which didn't catch their interest. And you are still looking for agriculture/industry related artwork.
If they said they don't want the focus on agriculture, I think you should keep it simple. Around here, everyone thinks they need a wheat sheaf, a cow head, and a pump jack on their signs. Yuck! I would focus on some really nice lettering with some flow that they could possibly use as a "logo" on tshirts and things.

Another idea is to look into the history of the name. Was there an old mill in the town or something like that? I think you used a graphic like an old mill, it would help people remember the town name...which is kind of the point of the sign [Smile]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, Suelynn_i was going to say the same thing-the origins of the town's name?
Keep the layout very simple and then make it 3D as mentioned.

What springs to mind is a bit of distorted text Millersburg. with the top line of all letters the same horizontal line, and the baseline as an arch, with M & G being biggest, but also distorted slightly wider apart at the base.

Under the arch could be a silhouetted or distressed mill picture.
Maybe the S in the middle of Millersburg could be a tall one with the tail curling right down around the picture, or forming into a road or stream?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!