Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » for those who are looking at Windows8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: for those who are looking at Windows8
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a link that I ran across
WIndows 8 upgrade from Staples

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, do you know if Illustrator CS5.1 will work on Windows 8? I have Googled for an hour and see 5.5 is ok, but nothing less than that.

How about Photoshop CS2?

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found you can run Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant (Google that name) and run it on your present unit.
It shows that everything I have will run on Windows 8!!! Office Max is running a special on a Dell Laptop with a touch screen for $399! Might go get it this weekend!

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO need to upgrade to 8 if you don't have a touch screen is there? Yahoo had an article claiming Windows8 was a total failure. I like 7 a lot but my only foray into 8 made me think I'd hate it. Can't beet the price from Staples though.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

It is a touch screen [Smile]

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a free W8 upgrade coming on this computer but I haven't had the nerve to use it, although 8.1 looks more tempting than 8.0.

My neighbor has W8 on her computer and I tried to print something off it when both my printers croaked the same day. What an unintuitive nightmare that was! Some of the problem might have been all the bloatware that was loaded on her new computer which only served to confuse and obfuscate what should have been the simple act of printing a .pdf. I like W7 and was not at all impressed with W8.

All that being said, I'll likely spring for a convertible W8 laptop/tablet computer in the near future. I was intrigued by the coming Samsung which will dual boot to Android but a geeky friend is using an Android emulator on his. Going that route would allow me to shop for more budget friendly hardware.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that Win8 is the new Vista which was the new Millenium!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W-8
I hate!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was basically forced into W8 with my new computer and I hate it. I can't find anything anymore, and as David said, it's clunky and not intuitive. Things I could do with one click before now take several. I haven't upgraded to 8.1 yet, but other than adding the start screen, I don't think much will change......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

I tried the unit out in the store. Seemed to make sense to me as far as navigation goes...similar to how my Kindle organizes things. In any case, for a cheepie home laptop, I am willing to give it a try. Then determine whether it is ok to switch out the workhorses at the shop when they die soon...

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si reminded me that I was going to compare W8 to the Vista I had on a laptop for about a month until I cajoled Lenovo into sending me an XP Pro disk. Vista wouldn't even allow me to save a file, "You don't have permission to do that".

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David:

Calls to mind that I bought a new laptop with ME. After a month, Dell was forced to send me XP Pro. Problem solved. [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This laptop(my Wife's) has Win7 and it's not much different, basically, from Vista and XP, I recently bought a Dell from WallyWorld for $399 with Win8. I didn't like 8 at first but once you get past the startup page, it's not bad at all. I actually like the way the apps and the search features are designed. My SignWizard, Aspire, and Corel x4 suite work fine on it. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out yet, is to get it to dual boot with Ubuntu for running the Linux CNC
program.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm- I don't even remember posting this topic... I still run XP pro on both PCs, so I know I wasn't looking to upgrade... those 2 machines are the only stable computers that I have working right now.

If it makes all the Mac haters feel better, I am having all kinds of OS issues with both of my iMacs!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XP pro unfortunately is seemingly my best choice. In working one other machines, I find myself having learned how to maneuver around in XP just fine. Will upgrade soon and will get to see how much I have missed. XP has really been amazingly stable for me, compared to earlier MS OS.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

I am really liking bits and pieces of the Windows 8. I had to start using newer versions of Illustrator (from 9 to CS5...quite a jump!) and my CS2 Photoshop works well too. I had gotten an Office Upgrade (2010) and of course, that loads fine. I loaded Streamline! ha! and it works great. Just a few minor glitches with my PDF Creator and Snag It, but were settings issues. I instruct at the local Tech College on a Mac and teach Illustrator CS6 and am amazed at how similar they are.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a new computer that comes with Windows 8
I tried to install Corel 13 and can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind the above post. I figured it out. T
thanks

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which reminds me of Flexi 10.2 and beyond.They pay computer "engineers" the big bucks to slow things down for us with no need tricks that ruin our day.
And we should be happy they say ?

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Jack....

They hold us for ransom and then we give them money and smile and thank them for holding us for ransom....and then they say "that was easy" and hold us for ransom again....and we give them money and smile and thank them....

What a world...what a world...what a world.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just upgraded to 7 with gerber omega 5.0 All is well. Loaded 20 mutoh drivers and 7 found the one it needed automatically. My wife chose 7 because she has alot of software on her unit and wanted the design station on her system too. Since she is the expert, I just write the checks.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!