Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » In the beginning(computer aided signage)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In the beginning(computer aided signage)
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this while reading the news this afternoon,...brings back memories when corel was on 3 512k disks and signlab came on a single 5 and 1/2" 512k disk.,,,both programs needed all of 640k memory which was quite a bit back then,..I can remember having to rewrite my boot sequence to switch from windows 1 and corel ver. 1.1 to signlab by editing my config.sys and autoexec.bat files in order to use these programs. in todays terms that amounts to less than 1/10 of one percent of the memory needed to run the current versions of the same programs. My cell phone has more processing power than the $2000 intel 286 processor based pc I started with and the tiny 8 gb thumbdrive in my pocket has almost 9000 more megabytes than my first 20mb mfm hardrive which was about the size of a brick. Gerber 4b's were going for 10k back then and each font cost well over $500,...That first scanner cost me over $1500 and you damn near needed to know how to program in dos just to be able to use it in the first version of windows shown in the link above,....they called it windows 1 back in 1988 or 89 when I got my first pc and plotter

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does bring back memories.

In 1988, we started out with $3000 for an Everex XT. A blazing 4.9hz, a 10mb hard-drive and a huge 13" monochrome-orange monitor. Dad bought it along with Peachtree Accounting for Mom to use for bookkeeping. She turned it on once. Turned it off and that was it. Presto! A $3000 paperweight.

We paid something like $2500 for a 300dpi b/w scanner and another $2000 for a b/w laser printer.

At the same time, we got 2 Everex 286 with 2mgs of ram and a 40mg hard-drive. It had Windows 2.1.

Dad shelled out another $1000 for a DOS program that could do text distortions. The only problem was you could only input coordinates. There was no WYSIWYG. It took the 286 about 20 to 30 minutes to crunch the numbers before the image would print out on the laser printer. And if it didn't look right, we had to do it all over again.

Right after that, we got Micrografx Designer and Corel Draw 1.1. MD was a waste but Corel really got things turned around for us. Watching the video tape that came with the disc was mesmerizing.

When we upgraded to a 386sx and Windows 3.1, I thought we were really cookin'.

Then there was the "hot-tip" plotter......

[ May 21, 2012, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one of those ioline hot tip plotters too! the thing would cut about as much as it would screw up and I think it cost me almost 8k,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first "computer-aided design" course I took was a workshop at Memphis College of Art in 1988- they had a state of the art computer lab- Comadore Amiga computers, with updated graphic cards that would display an amazing 16 colors on the monitor instead of the standard 8 - the only way to "output" your creation was to "print" to a polaroid instamatic film- the print unit was roughly the size of a standard television set of the day with a small slot like the front of an instamatic camera-- the bad thing was, the printer was callobrated to 8 colors, you would get weird pictures if you tried to print out a design that used 16-- they also had a big computer that was used for animating, it would render 1 frame per hour (do the math, it takes 24 to 30 individual frames for each second of film)

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my first 286 in 1986 to do the accounting for my Antique Automobile Restoration shop. I had some integrated software package like Lotus 123 that made my financials look pretty snappy. The bank was impressed. It really helped doing weekly payroll. The machine and black and white printer set me back $3650. It had a 20k hard drive and used the big floppys. The word processor was great. It sure beat the electric typwriter. Then I hired a woman to enter all of the data from the previous three years, but she made me take her to Vegas, before we began as a bonus. She had never been and I thought it was going to turn into some romance...not. We stayed at the Bourbon street for one night and played black jack all night. I came home with about $600 more than I had before I left with all expenses paid in cash. She worked for about a month after and did a super job with the books and as I recall, I paid her an additional $10 an hour. We had a fun time with all of the data. No romance, but she made it all worth it with her work. She finally finished grad school and married a friend of mine.

I kept the machine for years and just used it as a wordprocessor and payment calculator. Someone loaded some better math in it when I ran the Chevy store and it was a whiz at nailing payments and printing out various forms, when finance was too busy. It sat on my desk there for a couple of years. I probably retired it in 2002 and finally parked it out at the street. It was gone in ten minutes. Some kid probably thought he hit the jackpot. Naturally, I wiped the tiny hard drive clean.

I saw a gerber in about 1980 or so? I remember they were ridiculously expensive. I wanted one so bad, but never could scare up the gitas. A friend of mine a couple years ago tried to sell me his for $300, but I figured if I made it this far without having a vinyl cutter, then I was meant to not own one. Easier to just sub out any, rarely. no need for the space to have it or the inventory of vinyl.

I still have all of the data from all of the years I have owned a computer, here on this machine with the various hardrives and back ups. I probably can't access much of the real old stuff, but I never need to anyway. I did recently run a search for someone I sent a letter to years ago and the files came up. Amazing, how they have managed to evolve. I wonder what is next in 30 years? Probably no monitors and just some 3D field in front of us with a little computer you run with your mind. We live in a wild time. My dad, who died in 84 would be so amazed. I can just hear him asking why would we ever need something like this.

[ May 21, 2012, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Preston McCall ]

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AH yes...

$3000 for my first DOS system...soon after upgraded to Windows 3.11. That 14.4 dial up modem and a whopper of a bill from Compuserve for going WAY past the free hours.

Frankly, I miss those old systems. You got more done because you built them do do one thing well. These days a cell phone has more power but, as it was when Win 95 came out, there's all kinds of distractions at your disposal. Before solitare there was productivity. [Wink]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1972 i re-enlisted in the air force. instead of them putting me back into the job i had when i enlisted in 65-69, they sent me to school in denver for 6 weeks to learn COMPUTERS!!!! yea 1972!!!!
seems these things was big with the military in more ways then one. the computer had to be in a 1000 sq ft climate controlled space. to work in that room you had to wear silly white suits. communications with this computer was not direct. we had what they called "remotes". this was a IBM big arse typewriter with which we wrote requests from the computer. these went to the next room which was DATA KEY PUNCH. people sat there and made those 80 column punch cards. from there this card was sent to the card reader. you see em in carnivals now, they use as fortune telling game. then that info was relayed to the computer.........WHICH WAS a 64k memory that was stored on ISA DRUMS.........these they changed em out with a CRANE!!!! thats how big they were.
this was the IBM 1050-2.

[ May 21, 2012, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1972 I was offered school in computers ( punch cards ) was told this is the newest storage system they typed out all of our names in the group gave us each a card said that is what your name is in 1-s & 0-s punched out.

I said what a waste. lol

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Uselman
Visitor
Member # 2508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Uselman   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Uselman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to electronic technician Vocational school
in 1965-66 and we spent a year on computer repair.
We had a rudimentary computer on a 4x8 ft upright
board with tubes. The instructor would insert bad
components and you would have to be able to trouble-
shoot it without actually touching or using test
equipment- only by programing input. I then went
to school for programing for a year- for-tran and
bi-tran... then my life spun off in a different
direction- till 20 years ago. It's a great life
if you don't weaken. Gene

--------------------
Gene Uselman
ABC Sign & Graphic
10501 Hwy 65 NE
Blaine, MN

Posts: 103 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Fortran IV programming in college in 1969 and wrote some programs on punch cards that went into IBM 360 and Xerox Sigma 7 computers at the college. I came close to buying a personal computer in 1979 when they were just coming out but couldn't imagine a scenario where it would actually help the sign business. About 1985, I bought an Apple IIe and GDS to go with the Signmaker IVA I purchased in 1984.

Twenty years ago, I was eyeballing a $100,000 design station my brother in law had at his slide design and duplicating company and he handed me a box with Corel 3 and told me it would do everything that fancy station would. I plunked down four grand for a 286 and loaded Corel. At the time, I couldn't interface with the Signmaker so I designed in Corel using the twenty two fonts I had in the Signmaker and then duplicated them on the Gerber machine for production.

Not long after that, I thought I'd hit the big time on the ability to make presentations because I did a rendering for a customer by using a B&W hand scanner on a color Polaroid and then dropping the sign design on top of that.

A while back, as I gazed at my shelves loaded with computer manuals and equipment, I mused, "I just want to build signs. Where did all this come from?" I've gone from not imagining a scenario to how a computer could be used in the sign business to likely purchasing a new computer this summer.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the early 70's my sister started her first company in SoCal called " Key West " data processing..

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked at a wrap shop some 15 years ago where we sent the file to the printer at night, occasionally when I came to work in the morning, it was still spooling... no thank you... I will occasionally look at my Quadra 950 and chuckle at the little key that is still stuck in the slot, like it was a souped up hot rod that needed to be started with an ignition switch.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i BOUGHT A gOOBER 4b IN '85 out of necessity. I had to find a way to feed my family using only one hand following surgery. The machine was $10,000 and the fonts were $285 each. I still don't know that I've seen a plotter that makes pounce patterns as nice and as fast as that old Goober. Their wheel was much nicer than the bounce up and down devices.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From 1970 to 1989 I worked in the sales area of some big computer manufacturers. First mainframes (mostly 8 big machines but Honeywell had a weird 7 bit architecture) then minimcomputers (16 & 32 bit designs). I have lots of $$ tag stories. The one that comes to mind first is selling 1MB of memory to a major insurance company in 1981. They already had the minicomputer (size of a fridge) but there group life insurance business had grown like wildfire and they needed more memory to process claims faster and hang a few more terminals off of the mini. That 1MB of memory came on 8 boards (each about 20"x20") and a invoice for $41,000 (plus tax). Today a mega of memory on a thumb drive is worth less than a Washington (or a loonie here in the Great White North).

Seliing minis with terminals attached was a great field to be in in the 80's but when they started networking PCs together in the late 80's the business disappeared over a two year periord. I decided there was no future in selling iron and decided to retire in 89 at age 41. I lasted less than a month before the urge to start something got me off of the couch. Formed It's A Good Sign in late 89, bought a Anagraph system (for about $40,000) and started cranking out vinyl letters and logos. Still do it everyday but a lot of other methods are also used regularly. Routers, lasers and wide format printers handle about 1/2 of the projects that go through our shop now.

Now I tell stories about making signs to my old computer friends.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no "long time ago" tales about computers nor their use for making signs.

In grade 13, in high school, I did have a buddy who's older brother worked for IBM. His brother had a black Chevy convertible and would let him take it out for a spin, if we agreed to hand wash it for him for free!!! (Buddy and I figured that it was a pretty good deal!!)

I think I bought my first Commodore 64 around 1985?

BUT... in 1966, teaching in grade school to grade 6 kids, I was teaching them the binary numbering system, as a way to improve their understanding of arithmetic in the decimal numbering system we all know.

Little did I know that the binary numbering system would be or is the way computers work.

Little did I know I would be sitting here, typing on a wireless keyboard, with wireless mouse, looking at a 28" monitor and sending/receiving messages on a wireless network and wireless internet that can reach around the world!!!

Hell...little did I know that I would need to learn how to type!!! That was "girl's" work!

Sorry to hijack the post a bit...I love computers, try to keep up-to-date, and love remeniscing!!!

I'll tell ya'll about my first love, and my first car, some time in the future!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

You have an extremely amount of free time in your life........May I recommend bike riding, fishing or, maybe, boating?

I, personally, prefer bike riding.

Look at what we have done here.......we just hijacked somebody's thread......Shame on us !!

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry.......I meant to say: "an extremely large amount of free time ...."

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the most useful course I took in high school 45 years ago was typing. My father did quite a bit of writing and I enjoyed it too, so I thought it would be good to learn to type. I had no idea how much typing I would do in life. I was ill the week we learned to touch type numbers and to this day, I have to glance at the keyboard when I enter numerals.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same world as Harding. The most practical course I've ever taken was typing, but I missed the section on numbers also...probably taking a nap.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also took typing in 10th grade, 1960!!!!! our high school course choices was screwy. was 3 way to go. ACADEMIC, BUSINESS & GENERAL. never understood why TYPING was only for the BUSINESS course. when i finally went to college(1976) TYPING.......was how they wanted ALL THE WRITTEN reports and papers that you had to hand in. i remember how big time i was in 1960......mom bought me a ROYAL PORTABLE TYPEWRITER when i told her i was taking typing class.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP in 50 years you haven't learned the correct way to use capital letters!)))))))))))))))

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

youz forgets, i went ta hi skool in burgettstown PA........whatayaexpect?????????????????

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

You tell him, OP !!

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a kid, but we had Win 3.1 and my uncle gave us CorelDraw along with 800 manuals and stuff. I remember how complicated it was to use.

Back then, the only graphic design we did was to take pictures of Cindy Crawford and morph her face into the Predator. Freaky stuff.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My shop sits on the very spot where I hoed, pulled weeds, dug potatoes, cut okra, pulled corn chopped corn and picked peas and beans as a kid. Back then while I was sweating with a sore back and wearing blisters on my hands I would have never dreamed I would be operating a shop full of woodworking and metalworking tools, "Windows 7", CAD software, a plotter, a CNC router, emailing vector files and talking to people on an internet forum from thousands of miles away.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

ANNNND considering where you live..........THAT STUFF IS AMAZING))))))) they have internet there????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA had to wayne, my across the street friend johnny shoup(ROOT-A-SEWER PLUMBING)has a farm in chipply. my sister-in-law and her cousins all live "down by the river" in SCOTTS FERRY!!!!! been there couple times, its like living the movie DELIVERANCE!!!!!!!

[ May 27, 2012, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to take typing in high shrewel; it was a requirement....either that, or home ec....can you imagine the "abuse" I would've had to endure back then? Nowadays,well, never mind........ I am surely glad I took typing though.

Spent a good many years in the sign business, doing hand lettering, before the first 4B came out. We figured we couldn't afford one, so after looking around, we came upon the 'Arty'. They told us it was the same as the 4B, but the outside case was different. It was made by Compugraphic, the company that made the font cartridges for the 4B. They had some kind of reciprocal agreement, where they sold Gerber the fonts, in exchange for them being able to sell the machines under their name. It used the same fonts, but held 21 instead of the 6 or 8 the Gerber held....and was somewhat cheaper to lease/buy; so that's what we did.

It was a real workhorse, and never really gave us any problems, and like said above made great pounce patterns. Or, if you had MANY of one thing to cut......We had a job one time, doing a bunch of graph boards for a hospital. They needed about 4,000(!) 3/4" red dots to use on these graphs; so we just programmed a bunch of stuff and hit the Start button, when we went home that nite. Next morning, there was a big pile of red dots on the floor, all neatly cut.

I still have that thing, packed away, and I'll betcha it still works. But man, have things evolved since then!!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What David, said with the punch cards. We were doing it in 67-68 at RCA Victor engineering and building compressed air computers as well.
Oh' well..?

During my tool maker days...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made me think. I upgraded my MacBook pro this week to a 500gb hard drive and to 8 gigs of ram from 4. Cost me about 350 dollars incl installation. Back in about 1996 . I bought 4 MB ram and it cost me nearly as much then. I wonder what size computers will our descendents be using in twenty years.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!