Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Whats the biggest you'd go on a magnetic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats the biggest you'd go on a magnetic?
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a great friend who has helped me immensely over the years. We've discussed lettering his van (he's a handyman) but it needs repainted first. I was thinking of making him magnetics for the sides as a thank you for now.

I haven't done anything bigger than truck door magnetics, so how big would you or have you gone without problems? It's a Dodge van with the inset for where a window would be.

Thanks!

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2' by 3' but even that worries me.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw one the other day that was 2 x 2 and it was all the way up onto the door glass flapping in the wind and somehow still holding on. I guess as long as you've got surface for it to cling to, she'll stay put?

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago, I did the whole top panel on my full size Ford van since I had to act as if I was an employee of the contractor, on that particular job. It covered my name whenever I had to be at that site. No problems when on the freeways, it stuck quite well.

If memory serves me correctly ... it was 22" X 94" ... It is a lot of work putting it back on every time. Be sure to use the good stuff ... no guarantees on the cheapie mags.

[For Your Information]

[ April 12, 2012, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a big 16"x 6 foot oval back years ago, and would never again. He pulled it off HOT in the sun and it stretched. When he tried putting it back on it had a big hump in it. Wasn't our fault, but it sure created a mess for us.

[ April 12, 2012, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Barry Branscum ]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers Bruce Bowers has just turned 59
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be afraid to fill the panel.

You might consider using vehicle wrap type vinyl for background panel instead, though. It would be less expensive. Apply the background and then letter it.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
use cast vinyl. A magnet that big with calendared will have curled edges after a short while from shrinkage,.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a 4ft x 14" piece get sucked off by the vacuum from a passing milk tanker...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Kissy,
I never had a problem with 2' x 3, but I wouldn't be comfortable going any larger.
I've gone much longer on the sides of a limo, but the mags were only on the car when it wasn't moving.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be more afraid of him never taking the magnetic off and ruining the van that I would be about losing it.

I've had guys come in there with magnetics fused or rusted to their truck doors. Do decals, much safer on all counts.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw another door sized digitally printed magnet on a pickup driving by my shop yesterday.

Is this a new trend?

It was on when the truck went by, so I'm assuming it has no problem staying on.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I'm going to measure the window inset area next time I can get him distracted & go from there.

Bill, he's one of my closest friends. This will probably make him cry. But he also knows enough to listen to me when I give him the care instructions. I'm sure he'll religiously remove & clean it.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a couple of 22" X 60" mags one time for a buddy who had a carpet cleaning van. Everything was fine, until he started removing them periodically, and rolling them up UNDER THE SEATS.

Of course, they got "warped" from laying flat, and eventually blew off. OK, until that stupid stuff started.

And like stated above, use the good stuff only.

[ April 15, 2012, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'll bite.
Promag is the only brand my supplier carries.
Is that "the good stuff"?

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ProMag is a good supplier, as well as Magnum Magnetics. I've got some by "Elite", that I'm not real happy with.

Two things to be aware of: Names change as companies get bought out or disappear..do some checking to make sure that "XXXX" brand that you bought last month, is the same product you're buying today.
And...There are thicker and thinner brands of magnetic material. The thinner ones are mostly designed for refrigerator magnets, and are generally not suited for big stuff. As a rule of thumb, I've found that the thicker the material, the stronger the magnetism.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!