Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What's your favorite site for downloading free fonts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your favorite site for downloading free fonts?
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a favorite site for downloading free fonts?

Personally, I prefer FONTSPACE over DAFONT ... mainly because you can use keyword searches based on the designer's "tags," plus you can set up a free personal account, create albums of favorite fonts, explore the design galleries, etc. Kinda like facebook for fonts.

And on the topic of FREE fonts: contrary to popular belief, even if a font is listed as "non-commercial," the designer is usually more than thrilled to have you use their font commercially. Payment is usually only expected if you find yourself using the font to such an extent that it becomes an indespensible asset to your business. Just sayin'.....

thoughts? any other sites you prefer?

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fontry

Of course, I did take you up on the offer to buy the entire collection a few years ago, but I've snagged some nice free ones since.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
every month they have a new one...and quite a collection of useful (and not so useful)freebies:

www.blambot.com

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhh, yes ... BLAMBOT does have some interesting stuff ... he offers it on many of the free sites, including fontspace, and sells commercially on myfonts ...

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to slight you Michael. I love your stuff too. lol

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

no slight taken, Barry ... I'm legitimately curious where everyone is going to download their freebies. My font designs are what they are, they appeal to the people they appeal to, and that's pretty much it. Blambot is one of the people who has done very well for himself.

This is still pretty much a part-time business for me, and I'm the world's slowest when it comes to finishing my stuff and getting it out there. It took me one year to finish AMERICAN CAPTAIN, albeit in every language from English to Hebrew with over a thousand alternate characters, but still, I mostly feel like I'm only competing against myself and not all the other guys out there.

The better all the other designers have done, the better it seems to have made the market overall. People are more willing now than ever before to drop a few bucks on a font they really like.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

I wish we had a "Like" button...
[Wink]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I stopped downloading freebees a long time ago when I realised I scarcely use most of them. It is only if we get sent something with an unusual font we have to duplicate that I start looking again.

In the meantime, the stuff from The Fontry would be hard to beat for BEST VALUE for your dollar!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Gene Adkins:
I'm the world's slowest when it comes to finishing my stuff and getting it out there.

I can think of someone who is A LOT slower than you. LOL [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

his initials aren't RMcM, are they? hahahahha

you should give me a call next week, Russ!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good. I will. [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!