Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Murals that "flow" together

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Murals that "flow" together
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a 40'x8' mural to do with a number of different subjects. I landed the project with a design that included panels, but the committee wants to have the panels removed so the mural all "flows seamlessly" together.

That is my least favourite style of mural and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some inspirational examples of murals that use this effectively.

[ April 10, 2012, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy has some interesting foreground/background flow:
http://www.dothanalcvb.com/component/content/article/45/111-mural.html

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Committees and their love of including many subjects in one mural is one of the reasons I do so few these days.

I've always limited the murals to three subjects at most... then picked one central, preferably large portrait in the middle and used it to separate the other two scenes.

Every (good) mural needs a central focus. You might want to remind the committee of that. I've walked away from more than a few large commissions on account of this very thing.

Good luck with it!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One way to approach the issue is to have a common background,say a locally themed landscape and to group the subject matter in the foreground in a manner to lead the eye from topic/theme to topic/theme,....
another way I have done is to have a series of masonry arches and then have the viewer to see different topics in each archway,....
like this,..

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working with a Committee? You have my deepest sympathy!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, but they actually are quite nice. They do however, know what they want, were quite explicit on that right from the get go and it isn't the way I would like to do it. In my opinion, that is the hardest kind of mural to pull off. But I'll make some decent coin so I'll work with it. Hopefully I'll figure out a way top make the seamless look attractive. [Smile]
Thanks Sonny and Tim, (the arches won't cut it with these guys.) Anyone else have ideas? I think one of the hardest things is that it is short and wide.

[ April 11, 2012, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!