Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need a new printer!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a new printer!
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old HP Deskjet 1220 printer is beginning to limp a little and I may have to soon put it out of its misery.

Any suggestions on what is out there that could take it's place? I need something that will do a good job of Photoshop artwork and also print photos of the the grandkids.

I'm not trying to find the cheapest thing on the market - just a printer that will do the job and make me look good.

Thanks.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ray, i dont know if this deal is still available.
i bought an EPSON 1430, 6 COLORS, PHOTO PRINTER, that will print up to 13 X 19" border less......and i got it for $169.00!!!!!
its a $300 regular, EPSON had it on sale for $219.00, mail in rebate. and STAPLES had an added discount.......IF you bought a printer over $200, and they would give you an instant $50 off it if you brought in your old printer as a trade in!!!!
your gona laugh when i tell you what i took them. remember the 1st dual cartridge HP? HP 550? i still had it!!!! got $50 for saving it.
http://www.staples.com/Epson-Artisan-1430-Wide-Format-Printer/product_420269?catalogId=10051&fromUrl=home¤tUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.staples.com%2F%3Fcid%3DPS%3AGS%3ASBD%3ASB%3AB%3A9%3 A214%3Astaples&cmSearchKeyword=epson+1430&cmArea=SEARCH&langId=-1&storeId=10001&ddkey=http:StaplesSearch
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CB53201

[ April 09, 2012, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond...Everyone will have differing opinions...My printer of choice and scanner of choice is Canon.

I have a printer and a scanner in Canada, both Canon's both about 7 years old and both work flawlessly.

Here in Mexico I also have a 3 year old Canon printer that works fine. A friend here gave me an Epson 3 in 1 unit because after one year the printer function died. I accepted it and use it just for the scanning function.

Years ago I had issues with 3 different HP printers...Total crap in my opinion.

I recommend Canon products to anyone who will listen.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, and the printer that the EPSON replaced was the wifes CANON pixima 4000. i think its 4-5 years old. seems the color that it prints is not what you see on the screen. seems to be muddy. now this EPSON 6 COLOR, with 100 year archive ink, and a 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi....only problem with it you need a camera.........that can keep up with it!!! hahahahahaha.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most name brand printers over $100 will do what you're asking.

Much of ink jet print quality is determined by the paper. I have several grades of paper on hand. Kodak photo for portfolio prints. Generic photo paper for generic photos. And utility paper. I use the same printer and same ink for the entire range.

Whatever you get, it's not the printer that will break the bank...it's the ink. I always shuffle over to the ink section at the store before deciding which printer I'm going to buy.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a brother wireless laser printer for 99 bux. Black and white lazer.. with a toner.

I also just got a kodak wireless all in one with those enhanced extra ink load ink carts for 89 bux.. Works most excellent. However it still drinks ink like all other ink jets.

I really like the kodak and bother for the cost of purchase. I also like the fact that the ink is slightly less expensive for the ink jet.

The wireless features is just about all any one would need. They allow you to print from any computer on a wired or wireless network. My wife prints to the wireless from her wired computer all the time.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis hammond:
I just got a brother wireless laser printer for 99 bux. Black and white lazer.. with a toner.

I got one of those about 3 years ago and it's still going strong. Best $100 I ever spent.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray - I have an Epson R1900 wide format inkjet printer.

Awesome - photographic quality prints on photo glossy paper.

It's a workhorse... I print multiple 11" X 17" and/or 13" X 19" prints daily and it's phenomenal.

If you want to spend a little less, for basically the same printer - PLUS having wi-fi connectivity.... I'd suggest this one:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/UserReviews.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CB53201

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epson makes great photo printers.

Quality, lots of prints per cartridge, fairly in-expensive cartridges.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

todd and i agree on something....EPSON Artisan 1430 !!!!!! also CIS ink systems makes a bulk ink conversion for the EPSON.

[ April 10, 2012, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too use a Canon Pixma inkjet at home as well as a Canon Scanner.

Had them both for several years and they both work great.

Once I got a monitor that actually shows the right colors, (27-inch LED with a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels) it is easier to get the right colors coming out of the printer.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness!! There are cats falling straight out of the sky.... OP and I agreed on something! )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The Myan doomsday calendar might be right after all... haha.

Just teasing Joe. Good choice of printers... have an excellent day! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the last printers I bought was an Epson (not sure of the model because it has gone out with the trash) but just a few weeks after using it one of the ink cartridges started leaking. Then when I would replace an empty cartridge, the printer would tell me that the cartridge was empty, even though it was brand new...and would not print.

This was the first and only Epson printer I've had - did I just get a lemon?

Todd - the R1900 is no longer available.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Ray - sorry you had trouble with an Epson before.

I literally print full-color 11 X 17's every day... hundreds and hundreds of prints have gone through this (R1900) and it's been terrific.

I had the R1800 before this, and it too was fantastic...

The R2000 has now replaced the R1900.

I am certain you'd love it...

it is a bit faster, etc than the 1430... if you don't mind spending a bit more. It's on sale for $100 off. I may upgrade and buy one myself.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CB35201

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Ray - I should say I had a few 1280 printers before this newer series... they printed well, but did not last as long as the new ones and had some 'feeding' issues.

However... I never have had a paper feed issue or any plugged heads with the R1800 and R1900.

The R2000 (as well as the 1430, 2200, etc) all appears to be the same sturdy format.

Click on the link above... the R2000 was PC Magazines Editor's choice for 2011.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved my epson & used it til it didn't want to feed paper anymore. I ended up with an okidata color laser & I'm not sure I'd ever go back to ink.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to Kissy...I have a black/white brother laser for printing emails, etc... and an Okidata color laser for proofs. I order toners from Quill and get 3,000 page for what the Oki 1,500 page toners cost.
Fast and you don't have to worry about ink smearing.
I don't even own an inkjet printer anymore.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Kissy - what model Epson did you have?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, I have no idea. I've had the oki for almost 6 years. I literally wore the epson out to where I had to manually nurse each piece of paper to get it to feed.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still running an old 1220c. Best printer I've ever had. Sure hope I get a few more miles out of it!

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an Epson printer that I loved and finally wore it out and immediately bought another. The new Epson had the cheesiest, flimsiest paper holder in history and I had the same experience Chris had, having to hold its hand and whisper sweet nothings in its ear while gently feeding it each sheet of paper so as not to offend its delicate sensibilities in order to get it to print. The new one was a joke.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

sorry dave, but the epson 1430 i have handles paper as well as the canon pixima 4000 it replaced. and to have 13 X 19 borderless 6 color photo 99 year archival ink....for less then $200....is awesome.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Steve - my 1220C has been a real work horse, but now I have trouble getting photo paper fed into it. It's still printing well, but like David said, I have to make promises to it to get it to accept heavier paper. The black cartridge has leaked some but still hasn't smudged any paper.

The plan is to keep it to run regular printing duties and stuff off the internet and have a new one for doing the classier stuff and photographs.

I'm leaning to either an Epson like Todd and OP have mentioned or a Canon. I've always liked Canon cameras, so maybe their printers are good also.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nearly all desktop printers are now "disposable"!

Although they print beautifully ... they are built as cheaply as possible because the money is in selling inks!

Ray ... any major brand printer that you can get a deal on is the one to buy.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, same thing happened to me. Photo paper wouldn't feed through my 1220 anymore so I gave it to my wife for her office. I got a new HP last year and it prints the HP photo paper just fine. One problem... I bought a big box of Costco photo paper that looked like a good deal. Guess what? It won't feed into the new HP printer... slips and gets stuck.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

ray, if you notice, i replaced a CANON PIXIMA 4000, with the EPSON 1430...............the canon was good,but was giving muddy and not true color prints. also was starting to band.this printer(epson 1430) is for photos which the wifes does mostly, of pictures she takes with the 16 mega pixel FUJI HS 20, 24-720 zoom lens.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a HP 4P laser for 16 years and no problems, I wound up giving it to Jon Peterman and he still uses it. I got a couple epsons and as far as I am concerned their garbage, but hey to each his own. I picked up another old 4P and it works good

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Thanks all. I guess it just proves that some brands are good for some folks but not others. My experience with Epson was not good, but others swear by them.

Joey and I have had good luck with HP and others think they are garbage.

Several loved Canon and OP replaced the one he had with an Epson.

Even the reviews I've read are mixed.

By the way, Joey, it's "they're" not "their".

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

my office printer is an HP K850. 13 X 19, and i have a CIS INK bulk ink system in it.the reason for the CIS ink in it is each of the 4 carts for this printer is $38.00 EACH. after 4-5 years, i need to replace the magenta printhead. but then this was a $500 printer when i bought it. HP makes a replacement for this same one, but when i went to buy it, the guy at staples asked what i was gona mainly print with it and i said photos. he said the HP is ok, but if you want really good quality photos i should look at the EPSON 1430. that is why i didnt get the HP.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll look into that Epson myself for later. The original Epson I had was a good printer and they really took care of me when it needed some work. The newer one was built so cheaply as to be nearly worthless. It sounds like the model being discussed is built more ruggedly, and bulk ink is a nice option to have.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Raymond, but this is a sign forum..

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Well Joey, I know that you knew better, but I just guessed that you were testing us. Keeping us on our toes, huh?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

david, i had an EPSON C84.......BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP EVER MADE. 2 weeks after 1 year of owning it.........it wouldnt print one of the 4 colors. was cheaper to buy new printer then to try to have it fixed. thats when i bought the CANON PIXIMA 4000. like i said it worked well since 2003-or 2004.
this EPSON 1430.......is no light weight or compact unit. its probably a good 5-8 pound almost 24" long and 12" deep.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

R1800 and up are amazing....

[ April 12, 2012, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Bought the Epson 1430 at our local Staples. It's up and running. Didn't get the trade in special, but did get the rebate deal - $219.99

Thanks for all the help.

Now, if I have any kind of problems, I'll just call OP.

[ April 13, 2012, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

I'm sure you'll be pleased, Ray... let us know what you think of it.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

I use the Epson 'Glossy' 3 Star paper for presentations.... really slick, although not cheap. 20 11" X 17" sheets is about $26.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

i would more then happy to assist you in any way............
ALSO IT TAKES ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS TO GET REBATE, i got mine yesterday.

[ April 13, 2012, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!