Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Potential life after the sign industry (an update)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Potential life after the sign industry (an update)
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I haven't participated here all that much lately. I'm still indeed working the sign thing, however the junk thing has slowly been taking over, which I couldn't be more pleased with!

Thought maybe an update was in order for those interested in moving beyond where they currently are....

It's a slow moving process when you're in the midst of (attempting to) change careers. There's only so much of you to give.

While I don't have all the answers yet, I'm attempting to use my time wisely. When I'm out doing sign work, I document it with photoshoots so I can submit the info to publications. That's been making the vinyl work abit more enjoyable. [Smile] I have never shared my steps and self taught lessons from the past 20 years so it'll be new info whenever I get to submitting it.

-

Along the junk side, I've slowly been able to land some compensated design gigs that are paying me to finish my own house. Two recent ones helped me redo my bedroom which in return will land in a magazine.

I've been in several mags at this point, most recently Canadian Living with a tiny blurb about winning a Canada wide upcycle challenge. Too bad they didn't link my blog to the article but... oh well.

I also write regularly for a new mag, FOLK, which is about small town country type living. It's going national with the next issue so it'll be interesting to see what transpires.

I've landed a 2nd book deal in which I haven't signed the contract. Yet. I don't think it's the 'right offer' so I'm working on the ebook route first. It seems that in order to land the right offer, it's helpful to have something out there first. So my ultimate goal is to write a series of ebooks on diff topics so one day that perfect publisher will knock and say, "Yeah, let's just take all your ebooks and plunk them into a book book." And the work will be 85% done before they call. It's nice to dream, right?!

It's getting 'different'. The blog has grown to the point of me being recognized when I'm outside of my own home when among 'the right group'. Funny... I'm just the girl with dirt on her knees when I stripe a firetruck but an HGTV junkster when at a vintage show?? So weird. My son is keeping me grounded just fine. (Mom, you really AREN'T cool like they think ya know...) [Smile]

My last movie star moment was someone wishing me to be the 'junk celebrity' at a vintage show in Nashville. Wow... not sure where that's all gonna go yet but it sure was nice to be asked!

-

By this fall I'll have a pro website and blog done up on WordPress with the help of a very detail oriented and talented designer and guru team. Will also be linked up to a store of sorts to sell the ebooks. (guess I'd better write them then huh?)

Every day I'm bombarded with too many things to do. I could spend a month solid in ANY given direction in life, which makes keeping up with it all tricky. Ultimately I'm just attempting to take care of the bills and my son, and hack away at the dream thing a little at a time when I can. It's all we can do.

I do believe there will be life after signs and I'll let you know the moment I'm there. But for now, the ride is rather interesting. [Smile] Every plan I've had has morphed into something different, so at this point, I'm throwing caution to the wind and seeing what lands in my inbox each day.

My message here is, if you aren't yet doing what you love, maybe it's time to at least start slowly? What have you got to lose?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be proud to say I knew you way before you were famous. This has been fun to watch and I know this is just the beginning for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Donna, way to go. It's all about following your dreams.

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the "Like" Button?

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the "Like" Button!! [Applause]

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why worry? Be happy, live your dream. I've said many times that if you can find someone to pay you to do something you really like doing, that you will have won 99% of lifes battles. True, it may not always be peaches and cream, but it sure is way ahead of whatever is in second place. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, you have such a great sense of style.

Fantastic photography.

I'm not suprised you're getting noticed.

Love looking at your work.

Peace,
Bob

[ March 12, 2012, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a classy lady!! You are an inspiration to lots of folks, especially to those single moms that struggle with just keep it all together.

You are following your heart. Good for you!

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to what everyone else said. Please keep us posted on your new venture, it's exciting.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what Bob Kaschak said. Hmmm, maybe instead of a like button, folks could link to her site?

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah...FWIW when that top picture starts to load, it looks like a roadside sign next to a winter tree. I thought you were employing your own small scale outdoor advertising.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspiring you go strong

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,

Extremely glad to see you're moving in the direction you want to go. I've been struggling to do the same this past couple of years, trying to ease out of the sign business and more into the profitable side of the font business. (Yes, it exists, if you know where to look.....).

I'll never have a celebrity moment where someone recognizes me, but it is nice to find my fonts gracing TV shows like Auction Kings, Golf Channel and Comic Book Men, etc.

Wait ... did I get paid for those? siggghhhh ... musta been a freebie.

hahahahaha

anyway, keep moving forward and soon enough you'll be where you were going ....

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much guys! Your support and kudos mean an enormous amount to me. You're family after all. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some of the best things are things you "fall into" instead of chasing or trying!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How wonderful! You've worked hard for this- and isn't it fun!
You GO, Girl! and do keep us posted!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like!

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good For You!! That's what life is all about. Experiencing it and following your heart. I think that's the natural way to be. Plus if you just follow it you seem happier, & it's usually right. Peaceful soul. Or, it's a stepping stone (lessons). You're exactly where you're supposed to be at this time. (Mother Theresa) Kind of like, the unverse has a plan...don't want to get to deep, but it's a nice way to live. IOW, just follow your heart/instinct, the rest will follow. Going in slowly is ideal!!

You can and will always make signs. These 2 things you're doing kind of tie into together. Maybe you could make some retro signs. The sky is the limit really... you can join artisians together! How positive. Will have it's challenges but so does everything.

GOOD Luck!! You inspire me!!! Keep us posted. [Wink]

[ March 14, 2012, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Diane Malesky ]

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293
sales@summitsign.com http://www.summitsign.com
Design Is The Difference.

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already said what I thought could happen in this post last October. I also wasn't alone in encouraging you and suggesting greater things might await.

http://www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/59154.html?

And now look at how fast things are moving.

No fear. No doubt. No limits. Congrats, Donna!! Nobody carries our weight in life but our own two legs . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Neil. We need a like button.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, nice to see you moving forward and doing so well in your new direction. We can all learn from your journey.
Your photography is beautiful, can't wait to see where it takes you next. Please keep us posted on your future endevours.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Donna! Can't say I'm at all surprised. You always were a class act with a brilliant mind.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Donna, you are so good at what you do and it's nice to see another soul being delivered from that thing we used to love...

I haven't been very visible here in the last year and will probably be even less and less. I had a job at Parks Canada for the last 16 month and even this is coming to an end next March 30th as my contract ends. In fact I'm not even sure I'll be back making signs.

I sure had fun at times hanging out with fellow signpainters but with the 'decline' of the industry where it's all about a cheaper printed decal now, my heart is not there anymore. I will be designing and building stuff but they will most probably not be sign related and this will be a welcome change.

So best of luck to you, follow your dreams and never look back !

[Smile]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they need a "love" button!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!