Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Learning a lesson on Letterville

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Learning a lesson on Letterville
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week the post about Clients calling back asking for the art files which had previously been designed but not compensated fully for. Was on my mind. I had given some advice about this dilemma but admitted it was hard bought through painful experience. Hey, I am a slow learner and thought it was time to try for more...It couldn't Hoit.

All that to share this weeks application.

I wanted to share this with you all. It really is verification that if you ask for it and explain it. You can be paid to design a sign and paid again for the Rights to the same artwork.

I was recently asked to meet a couple who will be taking over an existing business in the town of Havana Florida. Havana is an old tobacco and agricultural community 20 northwest of Tallahassee.
Tobacco and framing is not what it has been in the past in many small communities. Like other small towns they have reinvented Havana to be an Antique lover's destination. Which included The River City General Store, a cute little tourist shop. My client's were not able to buy the River City name and will now be known as Havana's General Store.
My client's had some very specific ideas about how their brand was to look and were forth coming about a budget when asked. All that was left to do was an on-site quick sketch to confirm their vision and kindle their anticipation. Which I did!

-

Next was to go back to the office and e-mail an official estimate with written descriptions of the project only. No design time would be spent before a deposit confirmed their commitment.

[Cool] Here is what I am most pleased with it is the actual line item description for the design on that estimate:

Sign design $320.00, (art prep for signs created for this project only. Full unlimited rights to this art may be purchased for an additional $250, including further file preparation (beyond proprietary sign-makers files) and saved on CD for client's own use on other media.)

I have discussed and explained the entire estimate which came in about $350 over their stated budget. I strongly urged them to purchase full rights to the art work. They agreed.

Thank you all for the insights and positive peer pressure.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See!

We done toled ya!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done too. However, this approach will only work if it becomes the normally practice among all sign manufactureres. Here in Ireland for example, nobody seems to get paid for design work but instead are expected to throw it in for nothing as a sort of carrots towards securing the final job. This is as a result of years of newbie companies working off this daft business model. I've lost jobs in the past to decent clients because a competitor would have given "free" proofs with their quotation and I refused to do so. Glad to see you people are getting it right though

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin it is the same everywhere, I guess. I am thinking that the answer is.... have many good samples, A web portfolio and most importantly a solid reputation (referrals). Then we must show genuine interest in their project without crossing a certain firm line.

That line is, with all of the positive evidence listed above testifying to your skills, you do not have to try out for the job.
Explain that the design/creativity is the job itself. That is why I have gone to the quick-sketch/ conceptual rough.

At the risk of self promotion you may find my article in Signcaft interesting The Wonderful Onsite Quick-Sketch here is a link to their website archives http://www.signcraft.com/archives.aspx

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always maintained that the more credible you are the easier it is to sell and at higher prices.

Professional standards practice and a good reputation are critical in building one's credibility.

Ya done good, Bob.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the thumbs up button when you want one [Smile]

Good Job Bob.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya did good!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!