Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sign comes home after eight years

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sign comes home after eight years
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eight years ago we built this welded steel sign for my steel supplier. It won a Sign of the Times competition shortly after.

Late last year the business was shut down and my client offered me the sign back, with a single condition that I not resell it. We loaded the large steel sign onto the trailer and I hauled it home.

-

The next day I decided the perfect place to display it would be on top of my steel rack. I measured it up and found it would fit perfectly if we cut off the mountain topper. The plasma cutter made short work of the task. I found a clamp trapped inside when we had built it. Despite some rainwater having collected inside the clamp still works.

-

I used my neighbor Gord's forklift to hoist it into position, then welded it firmly into place. There is no doubt where the steel rack is now.

-

I believe samples are so important to help our customers see the things we can do and in the process sell the biggest and fanciest signs possible. Now there is one more cool sample on display.

-grampa dan

[ February 12, 2012, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so the big question is... what happened to the top part of mountains?

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That part will be recycled. [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...into amother mountain, or a golf course, or a train...
[Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't you hate it when you do an awesome sign and pour all yer heart and soul into it and then the business goes under?

sigggghhhhhhhhh

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That has been one of my favorite signs ever since I first saw it. The Chill Air sign next door with the polar bear is another.

Years ago, I made a glue chipped and angel gilded glass sign with custom frame for a property management company. When they shut down the office, they asked me to remove and dispose of it. It got "disposed" onto the wall over my desk.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a sandblasted attorney sign on my wall which was acquired when one of the two partners left the firm after just a few months. The remaining attorney was so angry with him, she was going to burn it [Eek!] When Waste Management Inc., changed their logo, I was given the old one I had sandblasted, which was still in great shape as well. The last one was a double sided sandblasted sign for a sports clinic (Tallahassee Orthopedic) because they changed their name after only a few months to "Marianna Orhtoipedic". Fortunately, in those cases, none of these businesses were going belly up and we got to do the old and the new signs for all three. [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of favorites signs as well...and what a perfect application you have converted it to.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will look really nice as soon as you sand it down and paint it.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did wipe some bird poop off it Raymond but thankfully the rust underneath was not damaged.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Rust Never Sleeps'...... and neither does Dan. :-)

Very nice Dan... you probably outlined the construction as it was built, but curious what gauge steel you used and how you 'conformed' the smooth curves around the 'S.'

Love the natural 'rust'.... seems so organic and fits perfectly.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

It's been a while but as I recall the tight inside curves were pieces of pipe with the letter size and style chosen with this size pipe in mind. The big curve on the outside was custom bent at a local machine shop in a set of hand powered rollers. I remember because I cranked them.

The steel plate was 0.125' ( 1/8" ) wall thickness.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Chris D Sullivan
Visitor
Member # 12713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris D Sullivan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris D Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great sign and reuse of the sign.

--------------------
Chris D Sullivan
Whitby, ON

I Like That!

Posts: 27 | From: Whitby, ON | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!