Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Gymnasium floor painting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gymnasium floor painting?
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone offer advice on materials for painting a logo on a high school gym floor? Would 2 or 3 coats of 1-Shot with a hardener be adequate if the floor is poly coated afterword?

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, #1 thing you have to do!

Line up a good chiropractor!!! Believe me!

I did one years ago with 1-Shot. You should do a TEST piece and have whoever is applying the poly put some over you test! Make sure they work together.

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony is right about the chiropractor, and its a lot farther for you to reach the floor. [Big Grin]

The last one I did the guys that striped the floor furnished the paint. I don't remember what type it was(cause its been a loooong time), but I DO REMEMBER that the pot life was about 30 minutes, and the brush life was less, and it took 2 coats. 2 days to paint a little 10' diameter logo, and 2 weeks to learn to walk upright again.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah... Get some good knee pads!

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1 for the advice above!

Also figure out what you feel is a fair price ... then triple it! Otherwise you are going to lose money! Been there, done that and lost my Tshirt!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last time I did something like this I took the back off a rolling office chair and lay down the seat of the chair on my belly to paint it,...it's not half as bad as bending over and it went alot faster,....no need for knee pads gots lotsa padding in just the right spots here

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make the patterns and get Ron to paint it for you. These old timers who just chimed in with their words of caution are right-on. Can you say "Sciatica!"

I'll bet Nova would work if the the floor was sanded and waiting for your color. It seems to be a paint that can take just about any clear.

I picture you being the coach on the project and having Ron do the labor while we go fishing.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a paint called Endura made in Cal that I'm looking into. Don, maybe that's what ate your brushes. I have used 1-Shot on floors for businesses but wear & tear on a high school gym has to be a lot worse. Tim...great advice, I'm a lazy cuss and laying down & rolling around painting kinda appeals to me.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't listen to Tim Barrow, either. He'd just as soon mingle with the KUDZU!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets not talk about kudzu Bill,...My momma told me iffin' ya can't say nuthin' nice don't say nuthin' at all

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric— I almost always used the same paint the striping guys used. Used 1shot, too. Working on the floor never bothered me or any part of me and I never wore knee pads. I would still be doing floors but the floor contractors use vinyl masking and less talent nowadays and I charge too much. It was good money at the time.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done many floors over my tenure and will never do them again, oohh the pain ! Buy floor graphics from graphitek.com

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was in Korea during the war, I did a stage backdrop every month for events at the Service Club. Each was about 8' x 12', water-based paint on paper laid on the floor and hung up when dry. I did them on my knees and it never bothered me, but then I was 21.
However, when I was in my early 50s I did a stage backdrop 12' x 20' the same way, a piece of canvas laid out in a parking lot, showing a landscape scene with a building, some trees, and parts of a couple sailboats in the foreground. That one got me sore.
 -

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the last one I did really had me sore- not just the knees and back, but my hips as well- it was a really large job and I declined the job, but then went in and helped the other painter that got it. I got my money for designing it. He used some kind of new paint that was awful- really lumpy- he ended up having to come back and repaint.
I used to paint floors when I was in college- young and didn't know any better...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We gave that guy your name....hope that was a good thing?

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last floor I did after watching the floor gy before that spend hundreds on "floor paint" i used rustoleum, it was gonna be uretahned over anyway so whats the big deal

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back a few years ago, any good enamel paint would work just fine- they seal the bare wood with a clear coat, then you paint your graphics lines etc., then they come back over with several other clear coats- even if they sanded and buffed the floor, the graphics were protected. This last one I painted, the company used some new funky clear coat that wasn't the same as the old polyurethanes- seemed really thin and sure didn't seem as durable- and the paint they used for the lines and graphics was really lumpy and thick, very hard to get a nice smooth finish. Another company used a waterbased clear on a floor- so watch out and know what types of stuff is being used. I always used whatever enamel paint that they were using for the lines and stuff- the flooring companies did all of the line work, I just painted the graphics.

I will say- try to avoid very much white paint in the design- the top clear coats will yellow and make it look nasty- I was locked in with a lot of white- it doesn't look too bad from the bleachers, but if you go down on the floor it is yellowing

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ceiling lighting (especially sodium lights) can radically alter the colors, too.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are using a traditional polyurethane for the top coat, just use One Shot with the full 10% hardener. Make patterns from Avery paint mask only. I've tried them all and Avery is the only one I'll use. Some other brands may take the paint well but you'll get a hernia removing them.

Roll or squeegee down your edges good just before painting. On large graphics I used full size roller with the telescoping handle so you can paint standing up.

With hardener they can put down the urethane with a full 24 hour dry time. Without the hardener, they should wait at least a month.

I've done dozens of courts. Some court painters use One Shot but if you do it all the time we use a regular game line paint called Polo Plaz. It's basically urethane primer in colors. You can paint 2 coats the same day on the tough colors that don't cover in one coat and they'll match any PMS color. Th problem for occasional jobs is the paint has a shelf life, smallest cans available are quarts, and the paint is worthless for anything else.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

I want to thank you all for your advice and comments, I'll let you know how it turns out.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've done a few, we used Cut Stencils on the computer and Plotter, then rolled the One shot with foam rollers. let it set for an hour and then peeled the stencils off, Crisp clean Logos and lettering, and this way a lot easier on the knees, and yes the flooring guys cleared it over with their product.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, do not use the wood grain effect on the logo.....

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe there is a paint called "Courtlines" for that kind of work. Never used it and don't know a thing about it, but a friend of mine told me that's what he uses. If it turns out to be awesome, olease post. Good luck!

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, the only Endura coatings I know of is headquartered here in Edmonton, Ab.
Their website is Endura.ca the .ca indicates a Canadian domain, not California. [Smile]
Endura is a fine polyurethane and it's a good company. The hardner has isocyanates so be careful, it's hazardous.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eric

I did the floor pictured below back in '03, it gets daily family use and still looks great. I used Ronan and 1 Shot enamels. The guy they hired to finish the floor used two coats of high traffic Bona Brand water-based satin clear.

We used three-layer foam pads most of the time, but 50 hours kneeling on the floor is a killer. Felt like someone took a hammer to my knees for a couple days! We tried a lot of different ways to paint but 12 hour days on your knees is tough.

Good Luck with it!

-

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason Dale's floor work pictured above has lasted so well is because few want to walk on a masterpiece. Very nice work.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!