Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Flexi problem with Illustrator file

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flexi problem with Illustrator file
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My situation is this: My subcontractor (on a PC) can't open a .pdf I sent him to print onto vinyl using Flexi. He can't open it.

The file I sent him was designed in Illustrator CS5, version 15.1.0. I'm on the Mac OS 10.6.8.
I then exported it as a .pdf, but neither my Flexi 8.5, nor my printer's PC latest version of Flexi will open it.
My Flexisign would open a simple .ai file; one with just lettering or a picture. The one that won't open had gradient fills in it plus a drop shadow, which I guess would be done with Postscript or rasterizing the 'shadow'. I apologize for possibly misusing terms in describing those elements within the design.

Further thoughts: I'm a decades long user of Freehand, and am really frustrated moving over. I don't see any way to save this as an earlier version of Illustrator. Maybe as version 7 or 3. In talking with Flexi, their support is guessing it could be a 'too new' version of a .pdf that Flexi won't open. Personally I think it's the gradient and drop shadow because I get an error message: "This file isn't a Postscript file, or PS Interpreter caught an error. Do you want to continue?" I press either the Yes or the No, and Flexi still won't open.
I appreciate any help you might give me.

Mick Samsel

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some problems with files sent by MAC users...it has been the way they save the file.
I get a file like menuboardpdf.rsd Rick Smith Design uses his intials as the file designator not the .pdf that PC's expect.

If you want go ahead and forward the file to me and I'll see if I can open it in my Flexi Pro 8.5...Just in case there is some hidden preference that is messing things up on your end.

tlucero01@aol.com

Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try saving it to Illustrator 8 and then saving that as a PDF. That is what will import into my Flexi program. Sometimes has to be saved to Illustrator 3

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry,

Note that I mentioned I don't see a way in Illustrator CS5 to save a copy in an earlier (older) version. In Save As, there is only one version: .ai. The other options are not opening either; .eps comes intop Flexi in very weird ways, FLEXI WON'T OPEN .SVG; I TRIED SAVING AS .PDF - WON'TOPEN. Sorry for the cap letters - hit the caps lock.
My Flexi support guy typed back and said to flatten the file. I did so under the: EDIT>TRANSPARENCY FLATTENING PRESET>and chose the MEDIUM PRESET, based on reading the options (there are many) in the Help section. I've sent this along, and we'll see if that allows Flexi to open it for printing.
Thanks for these and further bits of info.

Mick

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if it has gradients and drop shadows, maybe you can convert the entire design to a bitmap type image (jpg, tif, psd, psd pdf, etc) that should eliminate that issue and maybe give you a more uniform final image...

I don't have much experience with sign specific programs like Flexi- the couple of times I sent vector files to a guy who was using that type of stuff, it was a real mess- he may have not known what he was doing, also- but I have just used CorelDRAW!, Illustrator to cut and Photoshop to print and never had any issues with .pdf files...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

I did. The file I sent was a .pdf.
Still checking.
By the way I did 'flatten' the image according to a suggestion from my Flexi support person. Sent it to my printer, he still could not open it up.
Any Illustrator users that end up printing vinyl with Flexi? The answers out there I think...

Mick

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mick,

When you start saving a new file, you first tell it where you want to save it, and what name you want to give it. On the next screen you should have a dropdown menu with options to save in older versions of Illustrator. Does that do what you need?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Thanks Russ, but there is no options or drop down menus for older versions.
I'd take a screen shot to show you but I don't know how to 'post' that screen shot along with this message. Maybe someone can help with that.
Remember, I'm on a Mac OS 10.6.8. What you are describing might only be available to the PC side as far as saving it to an older version.
My Illustrator is: Illustrator CS5, version 15.1.0, Mac OS 10.6.8.

Mick

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

I'd take a screen shot to show you but I don't know how to 'post' that screen shot along with this message. Maybe someone can help with that.
Remember, I'm on a Mac OS 10.6.8. What you are describing might only be available to the PC side as far as saving it to an older version.

Mick

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Mick

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike,

I am running CS5 on a Mac here but I have the Windows version running in VMware Fusion. From what I understand you use the same method in both operating systems to save to a legacy version of Illustrator.

I do it all the time to prep file to run on a 2-axis plasma cutter that requires AI version 10 or older.

I just go up to the Save As command and that brings up the first window where you name your file. If you save it as an AI file a second window should pop up which has the pop-down named "Illustrator options" ....mine shows the option of going back to Illustrator 3 when you click on the arrow to the right of the Illustrator 5 name.

I tried to do a screen shot but I don't have this machine set up to post photos to Letterville. You can do a screen shot at any time on the Mac by hitting the "Command-Shift-3" at the same time....

I did find this info out on Adobe's site....

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/653103

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use cs5 illy on a mac and the drop down menus work exactly as russ describes. I also print from Flexi 7.6 with no problems

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mick, click on the link Dale put up. If you don't get that window showing the version with the drop down menu full of various legacy versions there is something wrong with your program.

Also, whenever I save a file as a pdf, I always use the smallest file size / web ready option. It makes a pdf under 100 kb in size for quick attaching and sending in e mails. I've never had a problem with anyone opening my pdf files on either platform when I save it this way.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!