Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Font Management Software Recommendations - Revisited

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Font Management Software Recommendations - Revisited
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all -

I have been using Corel's Font Navigator for several years, and I've had issues with duplicate fonts, fonts that are 'listed' but are not there - and ask for a disk when you click on it... etc.

I am sure that 90% of you CorelDraw users have had no issues, but I am looking for other suggestions for a very good, user-friendly, reliable font management software.

Would like recommendations along with your pros/cons.

Thanks.

[ January 12, 2012, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still using the same Bitstream Font Nav as you. I've found that I can keep all of the fonts in one central folder on the server so I can avoid duplicates.

BTW, check out Mike Jackson's article in the Jan-Feb 2012 issue of SignCraft.

[ January 12, 2012, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Glenn - I just reinstalled Bitstream Font Navigator 2006 that came with my CorelDraw X5.

Same thing... I have all these duplicate Type 1 fonts that give me an error asking for a disk when I click on them.

I'd like to delete all these Type 1 fonts...do you know how I can do that from Font Navigator?

Thanks.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Actually, in addition to the Type 1 fonts which I just figured out how to delete.... there are several fonts in my font catalogue that say they are in my 'L' drive... and ask me to insert my disk. The 'L' drive is a dvd drive. How do I get rid of those? They say they are 'read-only' as well.

Thanks.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic Todd. My font list has been a mess and a recent "wipe" of my C drive required I start over on my font library (it was wiped out and I lost a bunch of fonts)

I don't want to hijack this thread but does anyone have a list of the most basic 500 fonts that sign shops encounter. Back in 89 the list of top common fonts was around 50.

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Darnell
Visitor
Member # 27

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Darnell   Email Bob Darnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The easiest way to get rid of the fonts in a location you no longer use is to rebuild your catalog. In Font Navigator go to the file menu and click and "Find Fonts". Then point it only to the locations you want to index.

If you still have duplicate font issues, go to the File menu, select Settings, and then select Duplicate Fonts. From there you can manage them. (Delete them if you want)

--------------------
Bob Darnell
London, Ontario, Canada

Excellent Signs

Posts: 595 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a prgram i got when i bought ARTS & LETTERS 6.0. called BOSS FONTS. works really well.
http://www.arts-letters.com/bossfont/bossfont.html
heres a whole bunch you can look at.
http://www.myfonts.com/utilityzone/

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our shop uses Font Agent Pro. It doesn't seem all that much better than other managers, including the free ones.

What I would like to see is a font manager that categorizes fonts into families automatically. I would love, for example, to be able to click on "script" and have displayed all the scripts in our collection.
Or to be able to search all the letterstyles similar to Blippo. Or to pull up everything that is narrow or condensed.

Once, I spent a lot of time making "family folders" for a large number of the fonts in our collection, only to lose it all when the font manager needed re-installing. My intent was to produce a printed font catalog for everyone at our shop to use. But I lost many, many hours of work when the font manager died, so I don't want to do it again.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd,

Bob beat me to it. Just follow his instructions.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a "Utilities" directory on my hard drive where I store drivers, profiles, manuals, default settings, etc. In there, I also have folders labeled "Fonts" and "Fonts for Installation". All my font library CDs are copied to the "Fonts" directory so they are accessible but they are not installed. I have Font Navigator only search and install those in the "Fonts for Installation" directory. If I need to use a new font for a job and I have it in my "Fonts" folder, I copy it into "Fonts for Installation", run a new search on that directory so Font Nav can find it and install it from there.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thank you everyone.

I will check the other programs suggested too.

However, I have tried Bob's instructions for clearing out my fonts directory in Font Navigator - it still shows duplicate 'dvd drive.'

Also... when I do click on 'duplicates'.... it will not allow me to uncheck the 'good font' and check 'the dvd path font' for deletion.

How can it even list a font from a dvd drive, when there is no font available there? Any help is much appreciated.

PS - thanks David, good advice - if I can get this thing back to square one.

Thanks.

Todd

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!