Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Interesting pricing article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting pricing article
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Came across this article today. Comments?

http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/12/afraid-to-talk-pricing.html

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I like the "starting at" factor and just may include that one on my price list I use at rallys.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When New Potential customers phone me, I always state "They Start At".... it just makes perfect sense... then you can find out a lot more info on what they think they need. Good Article.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good idea. At least they know what the ballpark is, and if they can't handle your 'starting at' figure, you probably don't want them anyway.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not so sure.
I've been reading articles that seem to contradict this strategy. A technique called "price anchoring" is very powerful...so powerful that even when you know that you're being subjected to it, YOU'RE NEARLY POWERLESS TO COUNTER IT. You can read about it here=>http://www.mint.com/blog/how-to/price-anchoring/.

It seems to me that if you throw out an arbitrary number for a starter price, it could put you in a bad position when you try to raise the price after getting more information. After all, the first number the customer hears is the one they are going to remember.

I know that the pricing discussion is one seemingly without end, so I hope this doesn't rekindle that fire storm.

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When people ask for a "ball park " price, I always ask if they are talking little league ball park or Yankee Stadium [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The starting at price will be the only price they will remember no matter what transpires after the initial contact.
That said, we need to give some idea up front because we all need to know if what we are considering is even near our budget.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually say for a Lettering Job on a van prices range from $100 to $3ooo, so they usually say well what can I get for around $800, on average that is, 2 doors with a simple name and Ph number.. yep a ton. but that hardly ever happens... but good point all the same on that price anchoring..

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I understand it, price anchoring names prices but it starts with the higher one first. Instead of saying, "We do logos for $300 and up.", you would say, "We charge as much as $1500 for a logo, but we've been known to do them for as low as $600". I can see how that would make people feel better about paying $600 for a logo. But, if they had $150 in mind, they also know they can't afford you. Not a bad thing.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of a shop that asks if they've seen the shop's website to understand the quality being in a league differing from their competitors. After qualifying as someone willing to pay high prices for high quality, they move forward from there.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info all around. I am always encouraged by posts like these to stick to keeping the value of my work, and not cutting my own throat to make a quick buck.

Decreasing price means decreasing the perceived value, which makes your craft less important/valued (at least in a customers eyes.) If you decide you want a nice, good piece of cake do you try the $.50 per slice piece or the $4.50 per slice. They might be the same cake, but you'll think the more expensive one is better.

Thanks for the nice posts everyone.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont see what all the questioning is about. As Russ said, give a range and say that it all depends on various factors. That's simple, straightforward, and doesnt give the impression that you're out to con them.
It's like if someone calls me on the phone. if they wont state their name and business right off the bat, I hang up on them.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get calls with "How much does a sign cost?" .My reply is "How
much does a house cost? How much does a car or truck cost?".
I then tell them it depends on detail, if there is a logo, how much lettering etc. I then ask them if they have a budget, if so how much? I then tell them I'm not asking them the $ amount so that
I gouge them, but so I know what to offer, know how much time to spend on design and fabrication. They usually say they didn't realize how much goes into planning out a sign. Most don't have a clue what they want.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for both those articles-good food for thought!

That means "It all depends..." !

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!